Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How did you get your medical records sent over here?

How did you get your medical records sent over here?

Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Marigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to allMarigold is a name known to all
Default How did you get your medical records sent over here?

I know this probably sounds really stupid, but how do we go about getting our old medical notes sent to our new US doctor? I have just signed up with a pediatrician for our kids and he said to make sure we brought our records. The only records we have with us are the little red and green books the children had when they were born from the UK health visitors. I called our old doctor in the UK and the (oh so helpful) receptionist just told me they dont send out medical records, and then put the phone down

So, can anyone tell me how this process works please? Thank you
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you get your medical records sent over here?

Originally Posted by Marigold
I know this probably sounds really stupid, but how do we go about getting our old medical notes sent to our new US doctor? I have just signed up with a pediatrician for our kids and he said to make sure we brought our records. The only records we have with us are the little red and green books the children had when they were born from the UK health visitors. I called our old doctor in the UK and the (oh so helpful) receptionist just told me they dont send out medical records, and then put the phone down

So, can anyone tell me how this process works please? Thank you
You have a right to your medical records:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...ArticleId=1309
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough

I have been told by my GP to request them from your local primary care trust (pct) and they will forward them to your new doctor in the US.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You have a right to your medical records:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...ArticleId=1309
No - you have a right to a COPY of your medical records.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I just wrote to my old doc's office, cost £25 to get them copied and sent over seas though, but it's a standard release form they can send or fax you to fill in with details of your current address and doctors details.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:21 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
I just wrote to my old doc's office, cost £25 to get them copied and sent over seas though, but it's a standard release form they can send or fax you to fill in with details of your current address and doctors details.
BOB!!!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:26 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't bother. My parents had my vaccination record from when I was a wee bairn and had kept a medical history at home for me. I just took that Until I gave birth here, I'd only ever been in to hospitals to visit people, wasn't even born in one. According to my UK doc, my hearing isn't as good as it could be due to tinnitus, but according to the test I had here, I have superb hearing, far above the norm. I'd rather go by my latest results anyway, and have all my records from before as to what illnesses I had (measles, mumps) and what jabs I had.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:25 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I never bothered either. Out of curiosity, how would doing this tie into the dreaded world of 'pre-existing conditions'?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

They don't seem to be interested in medical records, just have a form asking you what conditions you have had.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 3:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I never bothered either. Out of curiosity, how would doing this tie into the dreaded world of 'pre-existing conditions'?
Nope niether did we. I suppose if you have a chronic illness it could be useful.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a checkered past medically wise, so asked my GP to let me have a copy of my notes. A full photocopy of each page would have cost £50, but a print out from their computer cost me £15 which gives brief notes from each visit and consultants' notes/letters too (scanned in)
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:12 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I would start afresh any pre existing conditions may lead to insurance companies trying to dodge paying claims and or insuring you.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:16 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
I would start afresh any pre existing conditions may lead to insurance companies trying to dodge paying claims and or insuring you.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:20 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
This could be risky for someone hiding past history if they then had a really big claim for a condition that suggested a prior history. I would not put it past them that they would demand a copy of previous medical records.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
This could be risky for someone hiding past history if they then had a really big claim for a condition that suggested a prior history. I would not put it past them that they would demand a copy of previous medical records.
not to mention it'll tell the doctor if there is something worth looking into and what your more likely to suffer from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.