Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to deal with the dentist?

How to deal with the dentist?

Old May 22nd 2007, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of
Default How to deal with the dentist?

In February, my husband for the first time had his dental works done in US such as examination, x-ray and cleaning etc. then, the dentist told him to have some of his teeth fillings replace because of so called decay, my obedient husband who never had any toothache for the last 20 years but believing the dentist was telling the truth agreed to have them replaced.
After some the the teeth fillings had been replaced and all the insurance benefits used up for the year. My husband started to feel pain and discomfort in one tooth. We think the nerve might have accidentally damaged by the dentist doing the resin filling. When he went back to the dentist , he was told its normal and will be healed by itself but after few weeks of pain that comes and go ,until he cant take it anymore and went back second time to the dentist , the dentist is in Paris holidaying and another dentist examined him and referred him to an endodontic. The endodontic told him the nerve is dead and had some bacteria accumulated and inflammation and will need root canal therapy and crown by the dentist who did the damage. Since my husband had already used up his insurance benefits , we have to shoulder all the expenses which will amount to thousands. Root canal therapy alone is charging us $ 1,500 and we still dont know how much will the dentist charge us for a crown after the therapy .
Any advice on how to talk /deal with the dentist who we think cause the nerve damaged? Or do we just take it in strife , shoulder all the expenses and never go back to that dentist?
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to deal with the dentist?

This site looks pretty good.
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

sue him?
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:49 pm
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abboy
In February, my husband for the first time had his dental works done in US such as examination, x-ray and cleaning etc. then, the dentist told him to have some of his teeth fillings replace because of so called decay, my obedient husband who never had any toothache for the last 20 years but believing the dentist was telling the truth agreed to have them replaced.
After some the the teeth fillings had been replaced and all the insurance benefits used up for the year. My husband started to feel pain and discomfort in one tooth. We think the nerve might have accidentally damaged by the dentist doing the resin filling. When he went back to the dentist , he was told its normal and will be healed by itself but after few weeks of pain that comes and go ,until he cant take it anymore and went back second time to the dentist , the dentist is in Paris holidaying and another dentist examined him and referred him to an endodontic. The endodontic told him the nerve is dead and had some bacteria accumulated and inflammation and will need root canal therapy and crown by the dentist who did the damage. Since my husband had already used up his insurance benefits , we have to shoulder all the expenses which will amount to thousands. Root canal therapy alone is charging us $ 1,500 and we still dont know how much will the dentist charge us for a crown after the therapy .
Any advice on how to talk /deal with the dentist who we think cause the nerve damaged? Or do we just take it in strife , shoulder all the expenses and never go back to that dentist?
did the dentist warn your hubby that he may get infection in there? i just had root canal and the dentist told me that sometimes infections do occur after the treatment. your dentist didnt clean the tooth efficiently enough and allowed bacteria into the tooth before filling it.

here's what you need to do.

1) ask hubby if the dentist explained that he could get bacteria into his tooth after it is filled. (if hubby says yes dentist warned him then bite the bullet and go else where, prolly back to uk dentist ands extract said tooth)

2) call the dentist after he has been holidaying and partying in paris (with your money)
tell the dentist that your hubby tooth needs fixed for free as its his mistake (the dentist)

3) dentist may agree and see hubby and fix tooth. great end of story, they did the same to me a while back, treated me and made sure i was ok.

4) dentist ignores you then send a letter.

5) dentist ignores you then get pre-paid legal, get an attorney on his ass.

the medical institutions hate anything legal, its far easier for them to fix said probs rather than have attorneys getting medieval on their ass. ( i work in the legal field so im not talking baloney)
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
did the dentist warn your hubby that he may get infection in there? i just had root canal and the dentist told me that sometimes infections do occur after the treatment. your dentist didnt clean the tooth efficiently enough and allowed bacteria into the tooth before filling it.

here's what you need to do.

1) ask hubby if the dentist explained that he could get bacteria into his tooth after it is filled. (if hubby says yes dentist warned him then bite the bullet and go else where, prolly back to uk dentist ands extract said tooth)

2) call the dentist after he has been holidaying and partying in paris (with your money)
tell the dentist that your hubby tooth needs fixed for free as its his mistake (the dentist)

3) dentist may agree and see hubby and fix tooth. great end of story, they did the same to me a while back, treated me and made sure i was ok.

4) dentist ignores you then send a letter.

5) dentist ignores you then get pre-paid legal, get an attorney on his ass.

the medical institutions hate anything legal, its far easier for them to fix said probs rather than have attorneys getting medieval on their ass. ( i work in the legal field so im not talking baloney)

Thanks for the reply..
Will try to follow your advice. Right now,hubby is not in the mood after learning that not only the constant pain but will cost him thousands $$$ , which he was avoiding at the first place, the reason he agreed to have his teeth look after and all the fillings replaced.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:24 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply..
Will try to follow your advice. Right now,hubby is not in the mood after learning that not only the constant pain but will cost him thousands $$$ , which he was avoiding at the first place, the reason he agreed to have his teeth look after and all the fillings replaced.
If I have said it once I've said it a thousand times !!! Go to Romania like I did !!! Meanwhile sue the dentist because in America you can sue people for anything so if you actually have somewhat of a complaint you are bound to hit the jackpot.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:35 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggerwood
If I have said it once I've said it a thousand times !!! Go to Romania like I did !!! Meanwhile sue the dentist because in America you can sue people for anything so if you actually have somewhat of a complaint you are bound to hit the jackpot.
my mum told me today that she had some "free" work done on the NHS dentist and it cost her 150 pounds. it cost me $300 to have a root canal in the USA. whats all this BS about the NHS being free and affordable. plus she is a pensioner. of course without insurance it wouldve cost me $1400 but for the british to keep saying that the UK is free is total effing crap. plus when i lived and worked there i had to fork out hundreds each frickin year on National insurance.

UK NHS is NOT FREE! unless you are from some 3rd world country and you fancy a bit of free health care.

:curse:

ahh that's better...
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:39 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

my mum told me today that she had some "free" work done on the NHS dentist and it cost her 150 pounds. it cost me $300 to have a root canal in the USA. whats all this BS about the NHS being free and affordable. plus she is a pensioner. of course without insurance it wouldve cost me $1400 but for the british to keep saying that the UK is free is total effing crap. plus when i lived and worked there i had to fork out hundreds each frickin year on National insurance.

UK NHS is NOT FREE! unless you are from some 3rd world country and you fancy a bit of free health care.

ahh that's better...

It's free if you show up and claim to be a political "exile" from a country where you face torture because you are a terrorist. If on the other hand you were a hankerchief on your head, a brown T-shirt and union Jack boxer shorts then you're screwed.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:43 am
This space for rent

freezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond repute

I have dental insurance and ended up paying out 700 bucks for dental work.
The Dentist tried selling meon fillings and root canal treatemtns, but I just said that root canals might not work and the only way I could be certain that these teeth wont bother me again was to have them extrected and told him to remove them. It might have been different had they not been back teeth, but since they were it worked out just fine. One concession I did make was to have sedation, man that was fun
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The dentists, for the most part haven't been free NHS for years, though those who actually do have an NHS dentist, it's £10 for a filling and a cleaning, kids under 18 are free etc....it's still a bargain compared to what most dentists cost over here.

And you complaining about spending hundreds, your spending that on medicare/caid already over here, and then spending the same on medical insurance on top....plus NIC isn't just put towards the NHS.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by haggerwood
It's free if you show up and claim to be a political "exile" from a country where you face torture because you are a terrorist. If on the other hand you were a hankerchief on your head, a brown T-shirt and union Jack boxer shorts then you're screwed.
i take it that like me, michael savage is also somewhat of a hero for you? savage is more pro-british than some of my old ex-british friends will ever be.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:07 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The dentists, for the most part haven't been free NHS for years, though those who actually do have an NHS dentist, it's £10 for a filling and a cleaning,
my last dentist in Scotland, thankfully was. A checkup and descale, that'll be 12 quid. I think fillings were about 18 quid I visited my new dentist over here last week, really nice guy who obviously expects me to part with a lot of dosh
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freezerman
I have dental insurance and ended up paying out 700 bucks for dental work.
The Dentist tried selling meon fillings and root canal treatemtns, but I just said that root canals might not work and the only way I could be certain that these teeth wont bother me again was to have them extrected and told him to remove them. It might have been different had they not been back teeth, but since they were it worked out just fine. One concession I did make was to have sedation, man that was fun
Years ago I had a tooth removed (third from back, top right) any how US dentist is 'highly' recommending a bridge at about $3000. Last december I had a crown fitted on top, left second from back tooth. When I talked about my options i.e pulling tooth he said crown was cheaper than the bridge that would be needed down the line.

Ash
Old May 24th 2007, 2:23 am
Banned

had root canal on monday. everythings gone ok until i was in a closing meeting this evening and had shooting pains in the "dead" tooth. calling the dentist tomorrow to tell him that he needs to sort out my tooth until it is fixed. you should do the same, dentists are liable for any mistakes regardless for what they tell you. i am as mad as hell that i have to go back! so should you be.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

ahh that's better...

NHS is free for kids other than that you pay a small proportion.

I had a private dentist in the UK and had to have root treatment following a NHS dentist putting a filling ontop of bacteria-much like the OP's hubby.

It cost me 1100 GBP for treatment from a private dentist.

The part payment for dental care on the NHS is IMHO a bargain.

On the flip side I had emergancy treatment here in the US which cost me $80 with insurance, however the dentist only took a xray and wrote a perscription.