Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to choose health insurance...

How to choose health insurance...

Old Apr 18th 2009, 7:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation How to choose health insurance...

Since we get regular questions on how to get health insurance in the US, I thought folks here might be interested in this series of articles in Consumer Reports (click on the various links on the left of the main article):

http://www.consumerreports.org/healt...surance-ov.htm

There is also an interesting discussion of the issues at the US Motley Fool:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?m...sort=whole#top
Old May 20th 2009, 11:18 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of
Unhappy Re: How to choose health insurance...

I have been in the US for 2 months and have called both BlueCross Blue Sheild and Aetna and both of them told me that they cannot provide any health cover for somebody who has been in the US for less than six months. The only option I found were 'immigration' type travel insurance policies such as the AIG care one but these are not real health care plans and only offer very limited cover. Do you happen to know of any major US health insurance companies that will accept a 'new immigrant' (here less than 6 months) for a healthcare plan that has similar feature sets to those enjoyed by regular American folk? Or am I at the mercy of one of these expensive 'immigrant' travel type policies with the very limited accident and sickness coverage. Many Thanks
Old May 21st 2009, 6:48 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to choose health insurance...

Originally Posted by megalaser
I have been in the US for 2 months and have called both BlueCross Blue Sheild and Aetna and both of them told me that they cannot provide any health cover for somebody who has been in the US for less than six months. The only option I found were 'immigration' type travel insurance policies such as the AIG care one but these are not real health care plans and only offer very limited cover. Do you happen to know of any major US health insurance companies that will accept a 'new immigrant' (here less than 6 months) for a healthcare plan that has similar feature sets to those enjoyed by regular American folk? Or am I at the mercy of one of these expensive 'immigrant' travel type policies with the very limited accident and sickness coverage. Many Thanks
6 month policy.
http://www.assuranthealth.com/corp/a...alth-insurance
Old May 21st 2009, 7:11 am
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

Thanks for that, it's worth considering, I see there is no co-pay or long term benefits in the case of disability but it's certainly way better than having no cover until I meet the 6 month US resident status of other plans.
Old May 21st 2009, 11:17 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried here?

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/
Old May 21st 2009, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I took out one of those with this company when I arrived. Didn't have to use it so can't say anything about claiming etc. What I will say is that it is VERY hard to get hold of a human on the phone - unless you ring the sales line - but for anything else they refer you to another number - which is an infuriating automated phone system that doesn't understand British accents.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

try sevencorners for temporary insurance.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

long term benefits in the case of disability
then you want disability insurance not health insurance mate.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:42 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I took out one of those with this company when I arrived. Didn't have to use it so can't say anything about claiming etc. What I will say is that it is VERY hard to get hold of a human on the phone - unless you ring the sales line - but for anything else they refer you to another number - which is an infuriating automated phone system that doesn't understand British accents.
assurant works with State Farm.

if you want to speak with someone, try a State Farm agent.......
Old May 21st 2009, 1:43 pm
James Chesterton

then you want disability insurance not health insurance mate.
Co-Pay is a health insurance component . . . . .
Old May 21st 2009, 1:44 pm
@matthewb76

Co-Pay is a health insurance component . . . . .
that's why I just quoted your bit about disability........ 99% of all health insurance plans don't insure againt disability. and if they do, it's a rider that is added to the policy and not the norm.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:48 pm
James Chesterton

OK thanks, I will look into the Assurant, I couldn't see anything on the temporary plans page about having to be in the US for six months ect
Old May 21st 2009, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

that's why I just quoted your bit about disability........ 99% of all health insurance plans don't insure againt disability. and if they do, it's a rider that is added to the policy and not the norm.
Quite right, and it's usually a very expensive add-on.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks, I will look into the Assurant, I couldn't see anything on the temporary plans page about having to be in the US for six months ect
Correct - in fact I arranged a temporary plan with them over the phone from the UK about 10 days before I landed in the US. As long as you can give them a mailing address of where you will be they should cover you.
Old May 21st 2009, 11:08 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in the US for 2 months and have called both BlueCross Blue Sheild and Aetna and both of them told me that they cannot provide any health cover for somebody who has been in the US for less than six months.
I know things can differ from State to State but when I came over we arranged my health insurance with Blue Cross/Blue Shield before I left England. They covered me from the moment I got off the plane.

If it makes a difference, and I don't know why it should, we arranged it through an agent and not direct with the company.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.