Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How can I stop people Hugging Me?

How can I stop people Hugging Me?

Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:24 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can I stop people Hugging Me?

Old Jun 21st 2005, 3:24 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Choose the lesser of two evils and go for the one-two handshake. Make eye contact a mile off, extend your right hand for a hearty handshake. It's manly to wring the shite out of another man's hand; for the ladies, be firm, but gently cover their right hand (now shaking your hand) with your left hand and give a little squeeze.

Hey, it's a compromise.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Choose the lesser of two evils and go for the one-two handshake. Make eye contact a mile off, extend your right hand for a hearty handshake. It's manly to wring the shite out of another man's hand; for the ladies, be firm, but gently cover their right hand (now shaking your hand) with your left hand and give a little squeeze.

Hey, it's a compromise.
Sounds like the John Major handshake, and we all know where that led to. :scared:
Old Jun 21st 2005, 5:34 am
Make every day count!

Nigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Haggischomper
I don't mind the hugging and, to be honest, it is just the same as it was in the UK. I haven't noticed any difference between the countries in terms of huggability...
It's got to be a regional thing! I'm from the north east originally and we never hugged but my friends in London are always hugging each other. Similarly in the US I'm guessing we have regional variances - I'm guessing reserved New Englanders only hug when they know you well.

I was surprised to find I was hugged more in the UK on my last trip back (maybe the UK's becoming more huggable)???

Maybe someone can do a poll on huggability by state?

I'm also afraid the hugging tendency is rubbing off and I'm now finding myself hugging other people!!!

This has "gotten" (I hate that word) much worse since I heard someone suggest hugging people was a great way to make someone happy ... something along the lines of "everybody needs hugs" .... everybody except Scotsmen in Texas apparently!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:01 pm
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Nigel
It's got to be a regional thing! I'm from the north east originally and we never hugged but my friends in London are always hugging each other. Similarly in the US I'm guessing we have regional variances - I'm guessing reserved New Englanders only hug when they know you well.
This has "gotten" (I hate that word) much worse since I heard someone suggest hugging people was a great way to make someone happy ... something along the lines of "everybody needs hugs" .... everybody except Scotsmen in Texas apparently!
Well exactly Nigel and it probably is a regional thing. Problem is I hate strangers hugging me and here in Texas everybody seems to hug everyone all the time. In fact there's so much hugging going on I wonder how they get anything done at all. I went to Austin on a trip and half way down a street a man came up and hugged me, well I was alarmed I can say and wondered what was going on. I was wearing an Italy football top and turns out he was an Italian, I didn't have the heart to tell him I wasn't Italian and it was a souvenier from a previous holiday, so instead I smiled and said 'grazie infinite' and walked on. I suppose in Texas that passes as a reason for hugging a complete stranger! Those Texans though, I just don't get it, it's let's hug for the hell of it!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:06 pm
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: How can I stop people Hugging Me?

[QUOTE=snowbunny]Choose the lesser of two evils and go for the one-two handshake. Make eye contact a mile off, extend your right hand for a hearty handshake. It's manly to wring the shite out of another man's hand; for the ladies, be firm, but gently cover their right hand (now shaking your hand) with your left hand and give a little squeeze.[QUOTE]

Yes, sounds like a plan since I don't mind shaking paws. Only question is why am I squeezing the womans hand? I think some of them might get the wrong idea!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:13 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

Group hug!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 4:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
Only question is why am I squeezing the womans hand? I think some of them might get the wrong idea!
It's less intimate than hugging (goosing while hugging is optional ).
Old Jun 21st 2005, 4:15 pm
Lapine Member

I was wearing an Italy football top and turns out he was an Italian, I didn't have the heart to tell him I wasn't Italian and it was a souvenier from a previous holiday, so instead I smiled and said 'grazie infinite' and walked on. I suppose in Texas that passes as a reason for hugging a complete stranger!
He was a long way from home and there aren't that many Italians here in Austin. Austin is much more laidback than other parts of Texas. If someone randomly hugs you, they may be a hippie, or they may just be on E/X. Very unlikely they are trying to pick your pocket.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 4:21 pm
This board is shite

He was a long way from home and there aren't that many Italians here in Austin. Austin is much more laidback than other parts of Texas. If someone randomly hugs you, they may be a hippie, or they may just be on E/X. Very unlikely they are trying to pick your pocket.
Austin gets my thumbs up. It's a great place, great music (and free) and the hottest wings I ever had. Yes, it is a very laid back altogether cool place. Last time I was there I went to see the bats under the bridge. It's amazing the size of the crowd those creatures of the night pull! :scared:
Old Jun 21st 2005, 4:54 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

I'm a big hugger! My family wasn't close back home, so it was nice when I came over here and could hug till my heart's content!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ScotsmanInTexas][QUOTE=snowbunny]Choose the lesser of two evils and go for the one-two handshake. Make eye contact a mile off, extend your right hand for a hearty handshake. It's manly to wring the shite out of another man's hand; for the ladies, be firm, but gently cover their right hand (now shaking your hand) with your left hand and give a little squeeze.

Yes, sounds like a plan since I don't mind shaking paws. Only question is why am I squeezing the womans hand? I think some of them might get the wrong idea!
I don't mind shaking hands either, but when a man holds my hand and squeezes it ... well, that just seems to be a bit more personal than just a handshake. From a friend that would be fine ... but I don't shake hands with friends!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:02 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I don't mind shaking hands either, but when a man holds my hand and squeezes it ... well, that just seems to be a bit more personal than just a handshake. From a friend that would be fine ... but I don't shake hands with friends!
The situation I was referring to was if there's someone in your social circle who considers his/herself to be close to you but YOU don't feel that close to them. eg your spouse's great-aunties.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

The situation I was referring to was if there's someone in your social circle who considers his/herself to be close to you but YOU don't feel that close to them. eg your spouse's great-aunties.
Yes .. although I have had men hold my hand and squeeze it ... and then keep holding it till I have to kind of extract my hand from theirs ... usually business contacts ... always made me wary of them thereafter!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:51 am
Make every day count!

Nigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura aboutNigel has a spectacular aura about

turns out he was an Italian
OK ... so Italians are big huggers??

Do we know who a little huggers??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.