Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How can I stop people Hugging Me?

How can I stop people Hugging Me?

Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:46 pm
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough
Smile How can I stop people Hugging Me?

I don't know if it's just me but I rather dislike the American habit of people I barely know trying to hug me.

Ah, but it is true we Anglo-Saxons (like the German's) don't actually touch each other the way other Europeans do, the French and the Italians for instance they never stop touching one another (but then that figures dirty middens the lot of them.)

Well look, where I come from it's only puffs that hug other men and being hugged by other women well that just starts your woman off and by heck you'll hear her when you get home!

A friend of my wife's recently said to me (as I was leaving) we never know what to do with you (meaning should they all hug me in some kind of group hug orgy). I said ah well you shake my hand, that's what you do. Sorry, but this hugging thing is all very weird if you ask me.

Last person I hugged was my mother. Which shows we Brits are considerably more reserved about who we hug and cuddle with.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can I stop people Hugging Me?

I find sportsman touching each other's bums more disturbing. I think there could be homosexuality being repressed in the NFL.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas

I don't know if it's just me but I rather dislike the American habit of people I barely know trying to hug me.

Ah, but it is true we Anglo-Saxons (like the German's) don't actually touch each other the way other Europeans do, the French and the Italians for instance they never stop touching one another (but then that figures dirty middens the lot of them.)

Well look, where I come from it's only puffs that hug other men and being hugged by other women well that just starts your woman off and by heck you'll hear her when you get home!

A friend of my wife's recently said to me (as I was leaving) we never know what to do with you (meaning should they all hug me in some kind of group hug orgy). I said ah well you shake my hand, that's what you do. Sorry, but this hugging thing is all very weird if you ask me.

Last person I hugged was my mother. Which shows we Brits are considerably more reserved about who we hug and cuddle with.
Don't you hug your wife ... or is it only your mother that gets hugged?

I also don't like the hugging thing that everyone seems so fond of ... not sure how you stop it, but then again I also found a lot of people in the UK were fond of hugging each other too. My US family like to hug on meeting and parting, I kind of go along with it all now, but still feel uncomfortable about it.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:59 pm
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=Guelder Rose]Don't you hug your wife ... or is it only your mother that gets hugged? [QUOTE]

Sure I hug my wife! Ok maybe I should have said only person other than my wife I have hugged recently was my mother.

anotherlimey, sportsmen touching each others bums obviously is hinting they might be on the bus! I used to wonder whenver I saw soccer players leap up into one anothers arms and otherwise try to mount each other. That's a little more than merely celebrating a goal if you ask me!

Last edited by ScotsmanInTexas; Jun 20th 2005 at 6:02 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:00 pm
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

I don't mind the hugging and, to be honest, it is just the same as it was in the UK. I haven't noticed any difference between the countries in terms of huggability...
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

I resisted for a long time, but the wife's family were starting to take offense. So now I give the womenfolk a hug. I even gave my father-in-law a hug yesterday. I've had to explain to the wife, however, that it was father's day and I was drunk, so don't go thinking I'm making a habit of it.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haggischomper
I don't mind the hugging and, to be honest, it is just the same as it was in the UK. I haven't noticed any difference between the countries in terms of huggability...
Agreed, hugging does happen in the UK too. The only real difference for me is that my husband's family is huge ... they are having a 'family reunion' next month (something that they do two or three times a year) which means I have to be hugged about 100 times when I arrive and again when I leave! Some of them hug me so enthusiastically that they nearly knock me off my feet! My own family aren't into hugging ... so when I was in the UK the hugging thing only happened with a few of my friends.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

I too hate being hugged by complete strangers and am lucky in that if i pinch my nose at i certain point i can sneeze on demand. I have found that a small sneeze performed at exactly the right moment tends to:

a) distract people, they start looking for a tissue and
b) disgust people so they don't want to hug me

It's either that or i just have to put up with the whole thing and it's hugs and kisses all round.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:11 pm
ImHere

Nothing wrong with as hug. But if you really want to stop someone hugging you, just put some hand cream on and then glance at it and tell them about your Psoriasis treatment as you go to shake hands.

Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Nothing wrong with as hug. But if you really want to stop someone hugging you, just put some hand cream on and then glance at it and tell them about your Psoriasis treatment as you go to shake hands.
But where you are kissing on the cheek is probably more common. I got into trouble with my fiancee once when we left a family gathering because I didn't go around the room and kiss all older female relatives before leaving.

Now I make sure that where ever we go together I always kiss all females on the cheek when leaving!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas

Ah, but it is true we Anglo-Saxons (like the German's) don't actually touch each other the way other Europeans do, ...
Let me guess, you're not from the Southeast of England, are you Because, as a Londoner, I have not found any difference in the hugging protocol between London and California.

I think it is difficult to get out of this altogether, but if I 'have' to hug someone I'm not particularly keen on, I just kind of put my hands on their forearms (to keep some distance) and airkiss left and right.

Elvira
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:19 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
But where you are kissing on the cheek is probably more common. I got into trouble with my fiancee once when we left a family gathering because I didn't go around the room and kiss all older female relatives before leaving.

Now I make sure that where ever we go together I always kiss all females on the cheek when leaving!
Aye its very spanish in that respect (amongst others). And always make sure you got for their right cheek first or it can lead to an embarrasing smacker on the lips as you both go for the same side.

Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:19 pm
This board is shite

:scared:
Originally Posted by anotherlimey

Jeez, I hate having to kiss elderly ladies. Reminds me of my old aunt who had the thing on her face. I used to dread her coming to the house at New Year and it was always that cheek she offered for my lips. :scared:
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:20 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Let me guess, you're not from the Southeast of England, are you ...

Elvira
Im guessing the same judging by his name...

Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:22 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Or your wheat allergy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.