Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to Bargain with your Doctor On the Bill

How to Bargain with your Doctor On the Bill

Old Sep 23rd 2013, 4:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to Bargain with your Doctor On the Bill

http://money.msn.com/personal-financ...th-your-doctor

This article is so on the mark. I remember when my daughter had her first child without hospitalization and had to pay both the doctor and hospital bill themselves. She and her husband spoke with both of them upfront and negotiated the price to what they could pay in cash which amounted to less than 1/2 of what was the proposed charges and it was accepted by both the doctor's billing department and the hospital.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:21 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Bargain with your Doctor On the Bill

Thanks for this - could be very useful after a weekend in ER with my son.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 6:32 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Very timely and useful; my husband just lost a filling and even though he is on my insurance plan, we don't want to be ripped off. Fortunately I get my work done through the dental school here (they are excellent) and they don't accept insurance at all, so our yearly payment cap is intact.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:08 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
http://money.msn.com/personal-financ...th-your-doctor

This article is so on the mark. I remember when my daughter had her first child without hospitalization and had to pay both the doctor and hospital bill themselves. She and her husband spoke with both of them upfront and negotiated the price to what they could pay in cash which amounted to less than 1/2 of what was the proposed charges and it was accepted by both the doctor's billing department and the hospital.
Sometimes it's possible to haggle. Other times, it isn't, and you end being sent to collections.

It's hard to predict how much can be negotiated. I had one circumstance in which I could cut the price by 90% by paying cash upfront. In others, they won't budge and you can take it or leave it.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Not so easy to do if you arrive in the back of an ambulance.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 7:46 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

That MSN article has one interesting link included, the "Healthcare Blue Book" of fair suggested prices for all kinds of medical and dental procedures. Fascinating reading!

http://www.healthcarebluebook.com/

It even includes a template for a contract to have both parties (medical billing dept. and the patient) sign when they agree on the final price. And their Blue Book suggested price is printed on the form to provide a bit of 'fair pricing' guidance.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes you can barter for their services. My friend who has no medical insurance was able to paint a portrait of the doctor in exchange!
Old Sep 24th 2013, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Not so easy to do if you arrive in the back of an ambulance.
Ambulance? Fuss and nonsense.