Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How American have you become?

How American have you become?

Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How American have you become?

Originally Posted by Laurie1st
IAlso, several have mentioned that they have had to slow down their speech. Is that because it makes it easier for people to understand you, or do we just speak slower?
neither -you're all just a bit thick ..
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter (almost 15 months) loves being read too, one of her favourite books is about a little girl who takes her toy zebra to bed with her... I always try to say Zee-bra instead of Zeb-ra because I would like her to learn the american pronunciation... I don't want her to stand out when she starts school... you know how cruel kids can be... however when I take to my (american) husband I always pronouce my Z the english way.

In the 2+ years we have been married we still argue over the proper way to say oregano.

Ash
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:29 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
My daughter (almost 15 months) loves being read too, one of her favourite books is about a little girl who takes her toy zebra to bed with her... I always try to say Zee-bra instead of Zeb-ra because I would like her to learn the american pronunciation... I don't want her to stand out when she starts school... you know how cruel kids can be... however when I take to my (american) husband I always pronouce my Z the english way.

In the 2+ years we have been married we still argue over the proper way to say oregano.

Ash

uuughh one american pronunciation that grates is zeeee instead of Zed. Dont know why.

How does your hubby pronunce Origami then?

Old Mar 15th 2005, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
How does your hubby pronunce Origami then?
Origami??? you mean Oregano

I pronounce it O-re-ga-no

He pronounces it O-reg-a-no

Some day I will meet an authentic Italian to ask... knowing my look s/he will say it a completely different way!

Ash
Old Mar 15th 2005, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Some day I will meet an authentic Italian to ask... knowing my look s/he will say it a completely different way!

Ash
It sounds different when you use your hands while you're speaking
Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:03 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
I think that was my first shocker. I had a teenage girl staying with us (my best friend and her kids moved over stateside a month after we did), and her friends would waltz into the house, walk right past, and not even say hello. I saw red for a while, and informed the kid to kindly point out to her friends that I expected to at least be greeted in my own home.
I have two teenagers and all of their friends behave in the same way. My daughter (who moved over with me from the UK) knows better than to come and go without saying hello and goodbye, but my stepson usually forgets. He will come in, grab something to eat, then go again, leaving me feeling like I'm just Cinderella (get out the violins!)
Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:37 pm
ImHere

Ash

No I mean Origami. If her pronounces Oregano with different emphasis how does he pronounce Origami which has similar phoenetics.

does he say O-rig-a-mi or O-ri-ga-me

Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:23 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

No I mean Origami. If her pronounces Oregano with different emphasis how does he pronounce Origami which has similar phoenetics.

I hope you don't worry about this sort of thing too much.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:26 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: How American have you become?

Originally Posted by dbark
I have two teenagers and all of their friends behave in the same way. My daughter (who moved over with me from the UK) knows better than to come and go without saying hello and goodbye, but my stepson usually forgets. He will come in, grab something to eat, then go again, leaving me feeling like I'm just Cinderella (get out the violins!)
It drives me nuts when my son brings his friends home and they go straight to the fridge (without asking) and open the door to see if there's anything in there which appeals to them! They are so surprised when I admonish them...
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:41 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Coming up 5 years in the US, accent hasn't changed, but basic noun vocabulary has. Don't think my accent ever will change as I lived many years outside English-speaking countries. So these days I put gas in the car, take out the trash, and do the back yard. It's too hard to fight it any more...
yeah i agree...repeating yourself gets old real fast, i've just succumed and say all the American words..heck I've actually forgotten what's U.S and what's not that's why I get a kick from this site

I would say that yes after 8 years my accent has changed but the American's still know I'm not one of theirs
Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:00 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I hope you don't worry about this sort of thing too much.
weeeellll, it does tend to play on my mind a bit.

Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I stop and get coffee and a Danish each morning from Circle K. Thats kinda like an American past time. Or maybe it's a fat bastard thing?.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:38 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Er? Origami is a Japanese word and oregano originates from Greek. The correct pronunciation of origami is that each syllable is stressed equally. Oregano has a long last "o" (at least the way I pronounce it).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:41 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I stop and get coffee and a Danish each morning from Circle K. Thats kinda like an American past time. Or maybe it's a fat bastard thing?.
Yup. You're a fat bastard. There, said it. Please don't tell me that you drink and eat those items whilst you drive to work.

I've never understood why Americans generally eat and drink when driving/riding in a car. I can understand for long distance journeys perhaps but not for commutes, driving to stores, and other short distances/drives (less than 3 hours say).

My USC spouse is the same too. He's always been like that.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:55 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I've never understood why Americans generally eat and drink when driving/riding in a car. I can understand for long distance journeys perhaps but not for commutes, driving to stores, and other short distances/drives (less than 3 hours say).
Sheesh, I guess it's time for me to get the gun rack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.