Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How about New Hampshire!!

Wikiposts

How about New Hampshire!!

Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How about New Hampshire!!

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, but you don't usually have to worry about snow in the morning, 100F for lunch and a thunderstorm in the evening, in July do you?

No but we have done almost that in December.

First year we were here on Christmas Eve it started sleeting, turned to snow and then by late afternoon we were sitting around our friends pool in the very warm sunshine. Then on Christmas day we were paddling in the gulf.
So we do crazy here as well
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

love the pics. thanx for all the great input. I'm thinking coming from UK, NH would be a good adjustment but we have been in AZ for 7 years, so although the continuus heat is awful, I hope we will be able to handle the extreme cold! Also I am abit worried about too much rain and all that flooding. I love rain, snow etc. But experiencing only 2 seasons in AZ have left us somewhat anxious about the normal 4 seasons!! and what about earthquakes, tornados in the area!! and are there any slitherey creepy crawlies in north east!! I don't mind the spiders but phobic when it comes to reptiles!! No pics PLEASE! These are some reasons, me personally, we decided not to consider the Northwest, although we got some wonderful input from this forum. Hubby does not want to move to CT, RI or NJ. He would rather be near mountains and big lakes and all that scenery. What to do! what to do!!
It will cost us $8,000 + for the UK flight due to 6 (2 adults, 4 kids) of us traveling in July to August and I am pining to go back for a visit.

Last edited by usoruk; Jun 14th 2010 at 2:34 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 1:16 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usoruk
love the pics. thanx for all the great input. I'm thinking coming from UK, NH would be a good adjustment but we have been in AZ for 7 years, so although the continuus heat is awful, I hope we will be able to handle the extreme cold! Also I am abit worried about too much rain and all that flooding. I love rain, snow etc. But experiencing only 2 seasons in AZ have left us somewhat anxious about the normal 4 seasons!! and what about earthquakes, tornados in the area!! and are there any slitherey creepy crawlies in north east!! I don't mind the spiders but phobic when it comes to reptiles!! No pics PLEASE! These are some reasons, me personally, we decided not to consider the Northwest, although we got some wonderful input from this forum. Hubby does not want to move to CT, RI or NJ. He would rather be near mountains and big lakes and all that scenery. What to do! what to do!!
It will cost us $8,000 + for the UK flight due to 6 (2 adults, 4 kids) of us traveling in July to August and I am pining to go back for a visit.
I live in New York State, about 200 miles west of Berlin, New Hampshire. We can get mild earthquakes here but nothing to write home about. The worst reptile we have, common throughout the NE including New Hampshire, is the Snapping Turtle. It is big, mean & ugly and makes a big mess on the road when HBC.

As others have mentioned, the worse part of weather in the northeast is heat & humidity in the summer. Some summers are not too bad, with highs in the 80s but cooler nights in the 60s. Other years, you can get daytime temperatures in the 90s for weeks at a time, high humidity, and (this is the worst part) it stays hot at night so the house just gets hotter & hotter until you have to go and spend the day at Walmart in order to survive.

Also, unfortunately not much of a spring or fall; this year we had temperatures in the 20s one week and within a few days, it was 90 degrees. I personally don't mind the long cold winters (and it gets a lot colder here than in most of New Hampshire.) If it's -40 degrees F at least you can wrap up and enjoy the outdoors. When it is 95 & humid, I do't know a way of being comfortable..

Biting insects are another big disadvantage in the northeast; blackflies and mosquitoes you can get used to after a few years, but the ones I find intolerable are the deerflies.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:32 am
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by usoruk
The years I spent there, we had no earthquakes but there were a couple of tornados but they were in the south of the state. There can be a lot of rain come may, it's called mud season, great fun or at least we thought so. As I keep saying depending on where you live in NH you can get upwards of 120" of snow, great if you like skiing, snowboarding and stuff like that. Out of winter there are some beautiful lakes to take a boat out on and lots of hiking in the mountains.

We have had beautiful falls, starting from September through October and the colours have been amazing, I am going to miss them and I am even considering driving back to the NH for fall or at least part of Winter.

I have seen spiders, but no reptiles, there are loads of mozzies though. Oh and the first time you see a Moose it's pretty amazing, we never stopped being amazed at the NH scenery or the wildlife.

The scenery up there is breathtaking, if the job situation was better we would move back up there in a heartbeat.

A great school if you're looking at private schools is Hampton School, it has some of the highest grades in the state and has old school traditions, it's great!

Can you tell I really love and miss NH.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's a shame. The way the job situation currently looks to be working out I could just about get away with living in Southern New Hampshire. Unfortunately the wife won't even consider it as she is a Masshole and the tax system is apparently 'retarded'. Shame as NH seems to have considerably bigger cojones than MA, plus after years of Nu Labour, 'live free or die' has a great ring to it.

Oh here is a photo thread of Concord NH

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149726

The more down at heel Manch-Vegas; bout as urban as it gets in New Hampshire.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=150976

Portsmouth - Lovely place

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=134810

Lebanon/Claremont - Typical small, remote New England Mill Towns

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149133
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:30 am
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Yes, it's a shame. The way the job situation currently looks to be working out I could just about get away with living in Southern New Hampshire. Unfortunately the wife won't even consider it as she is a Masshole and the tax system is apparently 'retarded'. Shame as NH seems to have considerably bigger cojones than MA, plus after years of Nu Labour, 'live free or die' has a great ring to it.

Oh here is a photo thread of Concord NH

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149726

The more down at heel Manch-Vegas; bout as urban as it gets in New Hampshire.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=150976

Portsmouth - Lovely place

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=134810

Lebanon/Claremont - Typical small, remote New England Mill Towns

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149133
Lebanon/Hanover, home to one of the best teaching hospitals in the country, Dartmouth Hitchcock, from experience of their INC I can say they are fantastic baby Surgeons and Drs.

Btw the pics are great, I love Portsmouth, got some great little restaurants.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

Great pics, I love portsmouth, reminds me of the UK abit, cobbled streets, brick buildings etc. Autumn is beautiful up north. AZ is hot day AND night for about 6 months of the year and when the monsoons come-its 115 AND humid!!! Thanx
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dudette
Btw the pics are great, I love Portsmouth, got some great little restaurants.
None of these are mine I hasten to add. All my photos of New England are terrible. Here are some NH villages

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...ad-nh-166.html

Old Jun 19th 2010, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Hi usoruk
I live just south of the White moutains in NH, on the north side of lake Winnipesaukee. The people here have always been friendly (even after they've gotten to know me) in my experience anyway. We may live in the sticks a little bit but were certainly not isolated, two hours to Boston, one to Manchester, though why anyone would want to go to the city is beyond me
Plenty of mountains and hills to hike in the summer then ski in the winter, speaking of winter , you just need to make some preperations for it, after your first one you'll know what to expect so no big deal.
My sister-in-law is a real estate agent at Re/Max here and also an avid hiker so if you want her web page thingy PM me and i'll send it to you.

Charles
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

marioantoinette is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , heres another tuppence worth. Ive lived in New Hampshite .. (sorry kidding) New Hampshire for around 10 months so far. There are a few plusses and minuses. Southern New Hampshire is pretty populated - the bit in a triangle between Manchester , Nashua and Salem. It's pleasant enough outside these cities - i live there - but unless you develop a fondness for crumbling mill towns that wouldnt look out of place in Poland you will probably spend half your time in the mountains and half in Boston or most of it in your house.

The Winters are Brutal, the last one lasted from December through to March , a couple of weeks of Spring and its been 80+ just about every day since. The humidity can be crazy too but I can live with this pattern if it stays like that. One good thing is that the roads are cleared VERY quickly when it snows. You will have to clear your own driveway but if you dont fancy it youcan bet your life that one of your neighbours clears them on the side for a few bucks.

Anyway, the good thing about Southern New Hampshire is its proximity to Boston for employment and a decent airport.

Places to live ? As others have said , on the coast if you are willing to spend money - Portsmouth and Dover. Portsmouth is that rare beast in NH, a place with a living breathing downtown. Keene is also like that , and I would recommend the Monadnock region. Other places there are Peterborough and Dublin. It might be tricky finding work up there but it's truly gorgeous, mountains and lakes and Keene has a great feel for a 20k population town even with an old renovated theatre downtown that shows new and old movies as well as the odd gig.

Keene. Move to Keene. Oh , and most people sound like cahtoon Characters he-ah.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:23 am
Dragon with a Wagon

Originally Posted by rivit
Hi usoruk
I live just south of the White moutains in NH, on the north side of lake Winnipesaukee. The people here have always been friendly (even after they've gotten to know me) in my experience anyway. We may live in the sticks a little bit but were certainly not isolated, two hours to Boston, one to Manchester, though why anyone would want to go to the city is beyond me
Plenty of mountains and hills to hike in the summer then ski in the winter, speaking of winter , you just need to make some preperations for it, after your first one you'll know what to expect so no big deal.
My sister-in-law is a real estate agent at Re/Max here and also an avid hiker so if you want her web page thingy PM me and i'll send it to you.

Charles
You're south of the White Mountains, whereabouts, are you Meredith? I'm up in Lincoln for a while.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Why have you narrowed it down to New Hampshire?

By staying on the west coast (Washington, Oregon, or Northern California - 100 miles or more noth of San Francisco), you get nice weather, beautiful scenery, close to the ocean, and the cost of living isn't too bad.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dudette
You're south of the White Mountains, whereabouts, are you Meredith? I'm up in Lincoln for a while.
Hi Dudette, i live about eight miles east of Meredith in Moultonborough.
I'm going up to North Conway in the morning, bet it's going to be mobbed with the great weather that's promised for the weekend
Hope your enjoying your stay in Lincoln, doing any hiking?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 3:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone catch the air show?

And can anyone explain the random, massive roadworks down I-95? 2 hours it took us lastnight, usually whip through NH in 20 or so mins....couldn't see anything grizzly.