Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Houston, TX residents

Houston, TX residents

Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Houston, TX residents

How do you live with the traffic down here?
If I had to put up with that everyday I'd have to move or top myself.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston, TX residents

Originally Posted by Manc
I know that TruBrit dont like going out "sorry mate it's not funny really"
Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

The tolltag is your friend.

Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:30 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
The tolltag is your friend.
and how does a tolltag help when it's bonnet to bumper on I-10?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Well, in my case I exit I-10 onto a tollroad and head for any other highway than I-10. It depends where you're going, of course. However, I've managed to avoid the notorious I-10 jams on many occasions by employing this tactic. Which costs me five bucks a pop, btw.

and how does a tolltag help when it's bonnet to bumper on I-10?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i've just survived I10 again this morning it's one of the many hazards that you have to endure living here and i for one can't wait to get out of the place :curse:
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
Well, in my case I exit I-10 onto a tollroad and head for any other highway than I-10. It depends where you're going, of course. However, I've managed to avoid the notorious I-10 jams on many occasions by employing this tactic. Which costs me five bucks a pop, btw.
the op is talking about houston, not austin where the roads are slightly more civilized, not a lot just a little.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

I'm talking about Houston too. I spend a lot of time there. I-10 doesn't go near Austin btw.

Originally Posted by TruBrit
the op is talking about houston, not austin where the roads are slightly more civilized, not a lot just a little.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

big_fish is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all roads are that bad....290 is horrendous & 10 is also bad. I'm on 59 coming from the SW, takes me only 30 mins to do the 20 miles to downtown in the morning....bit longer to get home.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:34 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I don't - I send the wife out to work, so she deals with the rush hour....
I stay home, and if I do need to travel, I get to do it at more civilised times, and definitely don't go anywhere inside the 610 loop.....
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

That's pretty much how I do it coming in from Austin during evening rush hour: exit the Katy Freeway onto the tollroad south, fork east onto the Westpark Tollway, and pop straight out onto 59 somewhere near Buffalo Speedway. Damn quick, although not cheap.

Originally Posted by big_fish
Not all roads are that bad....290 is horrendous & 10 is also bad. I'm on 59 coming from the SW, takes me only 30 mins to do the 20 miles to downtown in the morning....bit longer to get home.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I try to stick to 288 Hwy 6 and the Beltway and always try to avoid I10
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:07 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
always try to avoid I10
Whats wrong with you? Its an 18 lane highway, its what Americas about! Get out there and embrace the local culture! (Just dont expect to get back in time for dinner...)
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:20 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Whats wrong with you? Its an 18 lane highway, its what Americas about! Get out there and embrace the local culture! (Just dont expect to get back in time for dinner...)
I take it that by 'dinner' you mean Xmas dinner conisdering the traffic
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:21 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Which dinner? That day's dinner, or the next day's?

Yesterday it rained here in Dallas. As a result, my 18 mile morning commute took 1 hour and 25 minutes.

There's a good reason I don't have a gun. By the end of one commute like that and I'd either use it on myself, or one of the truck driving morons I'm forced to share the road with!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.