Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Houston - Lakes on Eldridge?

Houston - Lakes on Eldridge?

Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:52 am
Just Joined

FavFi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Houston - Lakes on Eldridge?

Hi - just wondered if anyone could comment on the traffic coming out of LOE/LOEN? My family and I are considering moving there (thanks for all the great info received so far) but have just heard that the traffic is really really awful (all routes)?

Also, are the community pools within walking distance of villas or is it a drive there for most people? We're looking at renting and to be honest I'd rather not have a pool as I have small kids (although I'm guessing we could put up pool gates) and most of the properties on har.com that do have pools have their entire gardens taken up by them!

And is there a bar (I'm Scottish LOL!)/restaurant on site? Or a playground for kids? Just can't seem to find much info...

Any info greatly received! TIA Fi.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:05 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston - Lakes on Eldridge?

You might be better off asking this on the city-data Houston forum. I think only bomjeito lives in LOEN on here.

Traffic can be pretty bad in most parts of Houston during rush hour. It really depends on where you're trying to go.

As for having a pool - you can install a child gate. Whether you'd be allowed to (or want to spend the money) in a rental, I'm not sure.
This is ours, it ran us about $1300 IIRC. It is removable and has been invaluable for us so far.

Very few neighborhoods have bars that are walkable. You'd need to be really close to in to a MPC development such as market square (The Woodlands) and whatever Cinco Ranch's equivalent is called in Katy. Nearly all neighborhoods have parks close by though, including LOE/LOEN.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:09 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.lakesoneldridge.net/LOEmaplarge.jpg

This is the map of LOE. It shows where the pool is so you can judge its distance from any rentals.

There's no bar/restaurant. I'm sure Bomjeito will be along soon.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Just laughed in my coffee. Oh if these MPCs had a bar on site!

Traffic, as with all places in Houston, depends on time of day, weather, etc.

LOE and LOEN both have exits onto Tanner Road, which feeds to Route 6 (via Eldridge to Clay) and to the beltway. West Little York is parallel, and it can be VERY congested. That said, its always congested everywhere during rush hour.

This morning we went to the kiddo's doctor near Wood Group (I-10/Barker Cypress.) Left LOEN at 8:35. Arrived 10 miles later at 8:55, going west on Clay to 6, then onto I-10 going west. Easy. I-10 going EAST, however, like many days we used to go out to Katy for 8:30 appointments when pregnant - parking lot.

When we go out for a drink or dinner, we tend to go toward Memorial. Watson's is a place we go for drinks, and a quick dinner at Lupe Tortilla. There isn't really anything interesting around us, and about 3 miles west onto the commercialized areas of Route 6 are the chain restaurants galore, along with shopping, movie theaters, etc.

All the pools are walkable within the community. There are about 1100 houses in LOEN. I think less in LOE. What you consider walkable is different than an American, so remember that! Most of the houses are within a mile. LOE's pool is right in the middle of the development and its a smaller development. Houses are older than in LOEN.

Many folks get around on bikes, too. Kids ride bikes everywhere in LOEN. The pick up area for the British School looks like Amsterdam train station during the day.

We too have a pool fence like Bink's.

The kid's (family) pool is only open from May to September (when school is out.) The main pool is open all the time. Neither are heated, so a pool at home is a nice option.

There is a playground for kids near the community center. A small area for toddlers and a big structure for older kids. It is gated, too. You will also find playgrounds nearby as well in other open communities and such communities in Memorial. And Bear Creek park is just a few miles away, too. There is a mini-zoo set up there too and tons of sports fields as well.

Yes, pools here do take up a lot of the garden. We have a quarter acre and a lot of it is pool. We also have a one story house to it takes up a lot too! Most lots here are 1/4 acre or less. Bear in mind, folks don't do much in their gardens here anyhow; usually too hot!

Back to the traffic - it really depends where you will be working. If you are in Energy Corridor, the location is really great. Work is 7 miles for us and takes about 15 minutes to work on average. Even in rush hour!

Many Scots here in LOEN