Reload this Page >

Houston British school drop off

Wikiposts

Houston British school drop off

Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

JYEN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Houston British school drop off

We are considering a move to Houston from the UK and hoping to get our 4 year old into the British School of Houston. With us both working we cannot figure how we can get him to and from the school due its location and our probable place of residence and office. I think he is too young to get the school bus so I am wondering if there are may be other options such as parent car pools, nanny/au pair,,,? I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has had experience of a similar situation or knows someone who has.
Thanks
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:28 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston British school drop off

Contact the admissions dept of the school , they probably have this kind of information about carpooling schemes etc.
They can probably put you in contact with your Parents' Association ( or equivalent) rep for your grade as well.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:45 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with the British school as our 4 year old goes to a US Pre-K. I would recommend a tour before signing up though, and checking the greatschools website.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Managing school drop off and pick up when both parents work is, needless to say, a huge challenge and one that Mrs P and I are still struggling with, especially when you have a specific school in mind. Having wrestled with this exact issue for several months last year we eventually concluded that the only way we could make it work was to move closer to the school and deal with longer and/or less convenient commutes.

Therefore my recommendation would be to look at houses closer to the school. Also, ask about "extended day" options for early drop-off and late pick-up.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Oaktree21 is an unknown quantity at this point

JYEN,

You may be pleasantly surprised at the number of 4 year olds already on the buses - certainly the one's that serve Katy.

It would help to know which area you are likely to be living in - buses serve Katy, Lakes on Eldridge and Sugarland and they are all popular - we had to join a waiting list before we arrived but got places on the Katy bus just before the girls started school - other than that contacting the school direct will certainly help - the bus administrator has just changed and I do not have her name otherwise i would pass it on but it is probably on the website.

If you have any other specific queries on the BSH let me know and I'll try and help. Also, try the Houston forum on city-data - there are loads of parents from the BSH on there.

Hope that helps,

Oaktree.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:51 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Or consider hiring a childminder, whose job is to be with the child once you leave for work, and take the child, pick child up. I actually have a nanny who comes at 7.30 and I can leave for work, she takes the youngest to preschool later on. The other two get on the bus. Mine is full time but you could advertise for an hour at the beginning and end if the day which might suit a local older person. I found mine ( and her predecessor) through care.com
Old Jan 26th 2013, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

Some of the buses to the BSH leave really early, especially the one from Sugar Land, for a 4 year old. Also the area around the school is certainly not an area you would want to live in. Car pooling is not really an option unless you meet a friend and arrange with them.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 5:03 am
Just Joined

JYEN is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the repsonses. It looks like we will have to explore options. Chances are we will live in the Katy area do will need to look at child minders etc
Old Jan 27th 2013, 6:25 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

You would get more choice with timings certainly by looking elsewhere. My daughters pre-K does 6.30-6.30 as hours.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Weeze
You would get more choice with timings certainly by looking elsewhere. My daughters pre-K does 6.30-6.30 as hours.
I agree the BSH is really not flexible for working parents. There are much better options especially if you have a young child.