Houseplants

Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Houseplants

Now I have my visa it's time to get packing

The wife and I have some houseplants we'd love to take with us - some are old and have great sentimental value. I've tried searching for info but cant seem to find any detailed instructions on how to go about it - or whether it will be too much time, effort and money to do so

Anyone here taken their beloved plants from the UK to the US ?
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houseplants

I think you'd need to get permits from the USDA to import plants.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:06 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think it would be a big hassle to even try to take houseplants, & in the end it might not be possible. But this is just my less-than-expert opinion based on our recent move to the USA this past summer.

First, we were told by our UK removal company that we could not pack anything 'organic' in our goods shipment for the USA. Not even dried spices & the like. Secondly, we had to make sure all packed items were completely clean & unsoiled, because that could trigger an additional (expensive) inspection of our boxes at US customs. This meant we had to clean all gardening tools & bicycles, etc., of foreign dirt, haha!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:10 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Very unlikely. No soil allowed and wouldn't they die in the container anyway?

I gave my sentimental one to my mum to look after. I'm sure she was thrilled as in all honesty, it's a bit ugly!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:37 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I gave mine to friends and neighbours - I never had many to begin with but they were sentimental as my Nana (who passed away since we moved) had propagated (is that the right word??) them for me. But we were told no food, plants, liquids etc so they had to go
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No, don't think it'll happen. Soil won't be allowed to be brought over...also not practical, they'll get battered if you bring them on the plane and they'll die if in a container.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with everything said above.
At least if you "willed" them to a family member or a neighbor - there's a good chance they'd survive - and you could always pay them a visit when your'e back in the UK.
As a madly keen gardener - I completely share your sentiment and understand your dismay at having to sever ties with these living entities which you've nurtured and obsessed over (well at least I did with all that grew in my English gardens...it's ridiculous and embarassing to admit)
What about trying to harvest some seeds from the plants - if they bloom (?). Tho strictly speaking that too might be against the law - who's to know - just throw them in your pocket.....good luck
Old Mar 31st 2012, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
What about trying to harvest some seeds from the plants - if they bloom (?). Tho strictly speaking that too might be against the law - who's to know - just throw them in your pocket.....good luck
No seeds either Last time I travelled I had sunflower seeds + cranberries to snack on in my hand luggage and they took them off me and told me that I could have gone though with the cranberries if they were in the sealed bag they were bought in!
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:00 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, no can do, if that were the case I would have imported roses that you can get in Europe that you can't get here.
Old May 4th 2012, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Found a way to do it - and not that expensive either.

FERA will do it for personal use as well as business as long as it's for a small number of plants. The guy comes round to your house, inspects the plants and gives you a certificate. Only cost £25 as well and the people from Fera have been incredibly helpful
Old May 6th 2012, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk

FERA will do it for personal use as well as business as long as it's for a small number of plants. The guy comes round to your house, inspects the plants and gives you a certificate. Only cost £25 as well and the people from Fera have been incredibly helpful
Who are FERA?
Old May 6th 2012, 6:13 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

So . . . in the end were you able to transport the soil in your shipment, or just the bare plant itself?
Old May 6th 2012, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisa67
Who are FERA?
Food and Environment Research Agency - http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/

plants are being taken bare - we take the soil off and wash them just before the inspection which is a couple of days before we fly. Then stick them in soil as soon as we get to the US
Old May 6th 2012, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Food and Environment Research Agency - http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/

plants are being taken bare - we take the soil off and wash them just before the inspection which is a couple of days before we fly. Then stick them in soil as soon as we get to the US
Ok, so they fly with you? What happens when you get this end as I would imagine it would be up to the US guys whether they let them in.....don't want to be a Debbie Downer, just checking that you've thought this through.
Old May 6th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lisa67
Ok, so they fly with you? What happens when you get this end as I would imagine it would be up to the US guys whether they let them in.....don't want to be a Debbie Downer, just checking that you've thought this through.
we get a phytosanitary certificate and that allows the plants in

thats the theory anyway, I'll post in 2 weeks time whether it works in practice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.