Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

House-hunting and competition for rentals in Bay area, CA

House-hunting and competition for rentals in Bay area, CA

Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

budleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nicebudleigh is just really nice
Default House-hunting and competition for rentals in Bay area, CA

Just got back from our house hunting trip.
Realised when we actually got there how naive we had been about the whole 'finding a rental near a good school' thing! The competition for family rental properties in good school districts was unbelievable, there seems to be a real shortage of 4-bed rental properties and a need to offer something above and beyond what other people are offering.
Seems the norm to offer to pay an extra lump sum to secure a property you like which was all new to us! We also needed proof of liquidity of about 4 months rent (which have to admit was a bit of a struggle!) job offer letter etc.
We were also really struck by how tired and run down some of the properties were too, there seemed virtually no correlation between the rental price and the condition of the property. I think some owners have been forced into renting out property until house prices pick up a little more but with no spare cash to do any improvements and even with a few photos on the internet you have no real idea of what it is like until you walk through the door.

Looking back we should have put a bit more time into our additional application info before we actually went out. Statements showing bank balances would have been handy to have had with us and saved a real struggle trying to remember log in details as we seem to have savings spread all over the place in the UK! We should also have printed out credit reports from the UK for example which we didn't.

HSBC have been fantastic though, opening new bank account with credit cards was no trouble at all.

Good news is that we have had an application accepted although awaiting contracts on a property in Danville with hefty sum added to secure it. School sounds great, kids and me loved the area and I think it could really feel like home.

Moving date is around 5th/6th April! so much still to do this end!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House-hunting and competition for rentals in Bay area, CA

I hope you know that the San Ramon Valley Unified School District has open enrollment starting on March 1 for next year. If you don't register during the first couple weeks, you may not be able to have your children assigned to their area school and will be placed in a school further from your home. The school where they may be placed may or may not be as good as your area school but I suspect that all the schools in that district are pretty good. This happens quite often in good school districts.

http://www.srvusd.k12.ca.us/apps/pag...e=d&rn=9045846
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budleigh

HSBC have been fantastic though, opening new bank account with credit cards was no trouble at all.
A word of warning, I have a HSBC International account, the credit card is no problem and works fine, I would suggest you get one if you dont have one.

However my debit card is 'temperamental' the Banks term not mine, it will not work for any on line purchases. I have wasted hours on the telephone with them and it seems that when you type your order and they match it with your address, it has to match exactly or it will be declined. ie, if HSBC has USA and online store has US or Avenue and Ave it gets declined. HSBC can do nothing about this!

I have a US account too so I dont have a problem but it could hinder anyone who only has a debit card.

Tracey.

Durrrrrrrrrrrr and then I read you have a credit card!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by traceym; Feb 24th 2010 at 8:28 pm. Reason: I cant read English!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:48 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by budleigh
We were also really struck by how tired and run down some of the properties were too, there seemed virtually no correlation between the rental price and the condition of the property.
Two possible reasons for that:
1. A lot of American renters live like animals, so the landlords have no incentive to make the place nice, as it'll just get trashed.
2. Weak tenant protection laws, and the landlords take the piss because they can.

IME, this is one of those weird cases where both explanations are true...
Old Feb 25th 2010, 6:47 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by traceym
A word of warning, I have a HSBC International account, the credit card is no problem and works fine, I would suggest you get one if you dont have one.

However my debit card is 'temperamental' the Banks term not mine, it will not work for any on line purchases. I have wasted hours on the telephone with them and it seems that when you type your order and they match it with your address, it has to match exactly or it will be declined. ie, if HSBC has USA and online store has US or Avenue and Ave it gets declined. HSBC can do nothing about this!

I have a US account too so I dont have a problem but it could hinder anyone who only has a debit card.

Tracey.

Durrrrrrrrrrrr and then I read you have a credit card!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We still have the HSBC debit card online purchasing issues too - for the last 2 years and copious numbers of phone calls. I'm kind of glad its not me losing the plot, and didnt realise that the problem was the addrress thing.. no-ones told me that before!! If its not sorted in the next month I'm moving banks... nearest branch being Oakland or SF city is too mcuh hassle too.

Sorry, gone off topic!

Re renting, I know that since the "credit crunch", home owners who rent out have been asking for a lot more proof of ability to pay for X amount of time, etc. We were even asked for proof of job security!!! hahahaha! Yeah right! Proof of UK credit history, offer letter etc, and a hefty downpayment / deposit / rent upfront helps, but at least you get the property you want!

You have to remember that properties in the bay area are some of the most expensive properties in the US, so it makes sense that rentals will be expensive too for something decent.

Danville is a nice area, so I hope you'll be very happy out here. best of luck!