Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hotel advice in Chicago - help

Hotel advice in Chicago - help

Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:09 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hotel advice in Chicago - help

I'm planning a trip to Chicago with the missus in March and was wondering if any of you good folk can recommend anywhere from experience. I know all the sites to search for reviews, but I also know we're all fussy gits here, so if you don't like it I probably won't.

We're not planning on driving anywhere - looking for somewhere in the price range of say $100 - $150 a night room, near the main shopping/tourist areas, which I believe may be in the north shore area?

Ta chappies and chappettes!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hotel advice in Chicago - help

Well i can recommend a few out of that price range!!

Couple of years ago we stayed at the holiday in one or two blocks off Michigan Avenue and it was very reasonable - nothing special but good value and comfortable etc.

I've just booked my folks into a marriott residence for may and paid just over 200 bux a night - but that is for a suite!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:16 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

The Ritz does a lovely Afternoon Tea. Well, at least they did a few years ago.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
The Ritz does a lovely Afternoon Tea. Well, at least they did a few years ago.

isn;t that the Drake????

If not then they do nice tea too!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:19 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big D
isn;t that the Drake????

If not then they do nice tea too!
The only problem I find, is you have to always ask to triple the number of teabags over here! It's like piss water otherwise.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
The only problem I find, is you have to always ask to triple the number of teabags over here! It's like piss water otherwise.

And boiling water - whats that luke warm crap all about
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I think Syllk is the chicago hotel expert .. he is banned from most of them ...
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:08 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I think Syllk is the chicago hotel expert .. he is banned from most of them ...
Only the Marriott ones during December and the first few days of January.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:26 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
I'm planning a trip to Chicago with the missus in March and was wondering if any of you good folk can recommend anywhere from experience. I know all the sites to search for reviews, but I also know we're all fussy gits here, so if you don't like it I probably won't.

We're not planning on driving anywhere - looking for somewhere in the price range of say $100 - $150 a night room, near the main shopping/tourist areas, which I believe may be in the north shore area?

There's quite a few under-passes along the lake front, the nearest one to the top of North Michigan Avenue (shop to you drop), near Oak Street beach, and just north of the Drake Hotel. I recommend that one, but after 11 PM or so the park ranger cops might spot you. Other than that wee problem, and the slight risk of being mugged for the $150-$300 you are saving by not sleeping in a regular hotel, should be a dandy experience. A quick dip might prove too costly though, might induce a heart attack (Lake Michigan gets a bit chilly this time of year). Northwestern University is nearby ... you could brush your teeth and shave in one of their rest rooms (their latest rest rooms have automatic flushes, that don't work well, so you might be up to your knees in crap and used toilet paper, but beats a hole in the ground loo found on any cheap trip to France). The YMCA is not too far away, you might get a good shower, and a clean evacuation of your bowels there.

There are lots of multi-storey car parks, having slept in the odd one myself on particularly cheap mountaineering trips to the French Alps, at least you have a decent roof over your head, but watch out for that reversing car - squealch ... too late!
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at the Millenium Knickerbocker Hotel last year for $139 room, its just off Michigan Ave about 2 blocks north of the Hancock Building. Room was decent, staff were very helpful and the martini bar was great. We got our room by searching on Expedia and then phoning the hotel direct to see if they would do a better price (and they did by $10 / night)

Jan

If youre into Chicago history Al Capone stayed at the hotel when it had a different name
Old Jan 25th 2006, 1:58 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
We stayed at the Millenium Knickerbocker Hotel last year for $139 room, its just off Michigan Ave about 2 blocks north of the Hancock Building. Room was decent, staff were very helpful and the martini bar was great. We got our room by searching on Expedia and then phoning the hotel direct to see if they would do a better price (and they did by $10 / night)

Jan

If youre into Chicago history Al Capone stayed at the hotel when it had a different name
Cool thanks for your help. We stayed in a hotel that was in some of the shots from Scarface so adding Capone to the list would be nice .
Old Jan 25th 2006, 2:17 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Cool thanks for your help. We stayed in a hotel that was in some of the shots from Scarface so adding Capone to the list would be nice .
There is an untouchables bus tour that you can take if you want to continue that theme - google it for a website, and enjoy your trip
Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:54 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We stayed at the Chicago Swissotel on North Wacker Drive. It was $170 a night I think, and I know you said $150 max, but it was very, very nice. Our room had a lakeshore view looking down towards the aquarium and planetarium and millenium park. There were rooms that looked directly onto Navy pier, the lake and the river, but we couldn't get one of those. There is a top floor swimming pool with jacuzzi and fitness centre.

Have a look at this website for things to do in Chicago.

http://www.metromix.chicagotribune.com/

You should find some nice places to eat/visit.

If you like small blues clubs, try Blue Chicago

Http://bluechicago.com/

Have a great visit.

Maggie

Old Jan 25th 2006, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

----------------------------------------------------------------------

All you can do is call around the Hotels and ask if they have any "Specials" on offer.

Hotels in Downtown Chicago have put their rates up quite a bit, in some instances, partially due to the large number of Conventions which occur at McCormick Place. You may struggle to find one in your price range, and, you may struggle to find a room if you leave it too late.

You can try the following;

Hampton Inn (Downtown)

Hotel Intercontinental (On N. Michigan). Stayed here for $125 a few years ago

Courtyard By Marriott (Known To Offer Some Decent Packages)

House Of Blues Motel.

Good Luck!

Jim.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I should add that you should avoid the Ramada Hotel on S. Lakeshore at all costs!

The Chicago CVB website is;

http://www.choosechicago.com

I could only find one halfway decent hotel in your price range. Most were in the upper $100s - Lower $200s.

Jim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.