Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hoston move - basic questions

hoston move - basic questions

Old Oct 25th 2012, 12:44 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hoston move - basic questions

Originally Posted by wilba1234
copied from the London US embassy website

"The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable."
This isn't true as per the drivers handbook of Texas though. It's 90 days. Those are the people you will be dealing with.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Speedbird One is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wilba1234
copied from the London US embassy website

"The U.S.A. has an agreement with most countries whereby the renter's full national driving license may be used for a period of up to one year in the U.S.A. This applies to the full U.K. driving license. Provisional licenses are not acceptable."
wow, good find, that is on headache less then as i have full uk license.

I agree the need for a US bank account is not a very material issue for me.

the key remaining issue is school, assuming i hire a car for the period which is possible, and assuming I apply and get a b1-/b2 all round.....

i will probably go for an eb5 soon, just a long wait. on property, i think i can put up with land lording from far away as have loads of experience of this, good and er bad !
Old Oct 25th 2012, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedbird One
ESTA is up to 90 days I think. Sounds like I should get a b-1/b2 for wife and son - or otherwise just stick to 90 day period on the visa waiver programme.

If private school a problem in Houston too, then maybe I will leave him at boarding school in uk, also possible.
Originally Posted by Weeze
This isn't true as per the drivers handbook of Texas though. It's 90 days. Those are the people you will be dealing with.
Usually a visitor to the US can use their foreign DL longer than a resident can. Of course this varies from state to state. Sounds like the OP will be a visitor but would like to be a resident.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Usually a visitor to the US can use their foreign DL longer than a resident can. Of course this varies from state to state. Sounds like the OP will be a visitor but would like to be a resident.
true ! but i will work with the realities and I do not want to breach the rules in the usa. I can enjoy myself perfectly well while waiting for an eb5 to come through after all.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:44 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: houston move - basic questions

I think it is a touch more nuanced than 90 days after entry. It's 90 days after establishing residence (this is my take on it).

Lawful Residence Requirement (TX)

And here is the list of permissable temporary visitor documentations (TX)

Here are some excerpts:

"There are several requirements all applicants must meet in order to obtain a Texas driver license or identification card, including most notably identity, social security number, and residency requirements."

"B1/B2 Visa/BCC with I-94
(Border Crosser Card , DSP-150, or “laser visa”)
All of the following:
♦ Unexpired foreign passport,
♦ Visa (border crosser card), and
♦ I -94
Note: Applicant must have an I-94 to be eligible because of the time and distance from the border restrictions for applicants who do not obtain an I-94."

"B-1, B-2, C-1, C-3, D-1, and D-2
Unexpired foreign passport or I -94
Note: The applicant may not be able meet residency/domicile requirements."

Here is the requirement for moving to Texas:

"New residents moving into Texas, who are at least 16 years or older and have a valid driver license from another state, have 90 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas Driver License."

Now if you are never classed as a resident, then this doesn't apply and you can use UK license. (My opinion).

You may be able to get car insurance via AIG travel assist.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Weeze
You'll have trouble with private school without a SSN IMHO. We had to provide it as part of the financial paperwork.
I don't recall having to provide a SSN for the private school my daughter goes to. Maybe if you are applying for financial aid, then yes, they will want to see your financial situation (tax returns). But, that being said, good schools like continuity of students and want to see a stream of revenue over a few years, not just a 'one off' student.

As part of the application process we were certainly interviewed about our intentions and how long we were thinking of keeping our kid at the school. You can, obviously, lie or be less than truthful and there is nothing that they can do should you decide to relocate or that the school isn't for you. Anyway, that is my experience with three private schools here in the Bay Area.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
I don't recall having to provide a SSN for the private school my daughter goes to. Maybe if you are applying for financial aid, then yes, they will want to see your financial situation (tax returns). But, that being said, good schools like continuity of students and want to see a stream of revenue over a few years, not just a 'one off' student.

As part of the application process we were certainly interviewed about our intentions and how long we were thinking of keeping our kid at the school. You can, obviously, lie or be less than truthful and there is nothing that they can do should you decide to relocate or that the school isn't for you. Anyway, that is my experience with three private schools here in the Bay Area.
My daughter's school asked to see her visa.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:08 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You will be visiting Houston, not moving to Houston. And a B2 visa is a visa for pleasure purposes, not business purposes. As a practical matter, B visas may show a classification of B2 only, B1 only, or B1/B2. Of more importance, I think, is the classification that the CBP officer writes on the entry stamp when you enter the USA using the visa, but in any case be clear as to the purpose of your intended visit when you apply for the visa.
I am moving to houston in december on a 6 months on a b-2 visa.
A B visa allows up to 6 months in the USA per visit. How many visits you can make in any given period of time is up to the CBP officer who inspects you at a US POE when you arrive to request entry.
This visa is only a temporary business visa allowing up to 6 months in the usa per year.
Different banks have different policies for what documentation they require to comply with the provisions of the Patriot Act. Some banks may require a SSN or ITIN, but not all do. You may have to shop around to find a bank that will open an account for you. (All banks will require a SSN or an ITIN for an interest bearing account, since they have to report the interest to the IRS.)
q1. how can i open a us bank account, preferable with minimal hassle, noting i do not have a social security number, just a temporary leased home. i can get an atm card ? utility bills not in my name, but i can try and get another telephone line installed, and so a utility bill.
What you will need to get car insurance will depend on each insurance company's policies and procedures. A SSN (or ITIN) should not be required, but you may be asked for one, and you may even be falsely told that one is required, since the SSN is commonly used as a defacto national ID number by insurance companies and many other entities.
q2. can i take out car insurance if i bought a cheap car - again no social security number is the likely issue. assume i can buy a cheap car (say $5000?) with no problems and register it at temporary address ?
The local school district policies and procedures will apply.
q3. my son is coming with me, and i intend to out him in local school. apparently this is no problem, no ssn needed.
There should not be any problem buying if you're using cash. You will have to be careful to make your property tax and insurance payments, and if you rent it out you will have additional insurance issues and income tax issues to deal with.
q4. i am thinking of buying a house for $250k with cash, and putting basic furniture in it. live there, then rent it out fully furnished when not there. I have checked and there is a pretty good furnished rental market where i want to buy. any anticipated problems with buying ?
Your wife will want a B2 visa, unless she will be in the US for business purposes also. I believe that if she uses the VWP, and goes to Mexico (or Canada) for a couple of days after, say, 80 days in the USA, she will have 8 more days to stay in the USA based on her initial entry. Back-to-back 90-day VWP entries may entail more than a "small risk" of denied entry given your presence in the USA in B status.
q5. thinking of getting wife a b-1 visa. there is some potential complication with this and i risk a rejection. maybe better let her join me on the visa waiver programme and have her leave, go for couple days to mexico, and reenter after 3 months ? small risk she may not be allowed back in then however.
Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Oct 25th 2012 at 5:12 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You will not be able to open an account without a SSN. You will not get an SSN without the authority to work.
You can't open a savings account, but you can open a checking account. Might need to ask for a supervisor as they might have to faff around with the backend to do it and you can use 000-00-0004 as a SSN if you don't have one, as it's a general johnny foreigner number.

The VWP thing to Mexico won't cut it, can't be a neighbouring country.

Getting utilities usually isn't a problem without a SSN, you'd generally be asked to pay a deposit though, anything from $50-600.

Insuring a car without a US license or SSN isn't a problem....rates will be shit and the cover will be voided if you go past x day allowed on a foreign license and have not gotten a local license.

Buying a house, when you don't have the ability to live here, especially if you haven't lived in the area for a couple of years is generally an incredibly stupid thing to do.

This whole adventure is going to end in tears.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
It's so they can run a credit check, simple as that. They want to know you're in good standing and can pay up.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving to houston in december on a 6 months on a b-2 visa.
Respectfully, you aren't moving at all. At best, you're visiting... there's a huge difference!

... my son is coming with me, and i intend to out him in local school.
Respectfully, he will not be able to attend school, as he is only a visitor to the US.

... any anticipated problems with buying ?
Yes - what will you do with the property when you are refused entry to the US for abusing the B visa?

... maybe better let her join me on the visa waiver programme and have her leave, go for couple days to mexico, and reenter after 3 months ?
Your notion of what is and what is not allowed is seriously flawed!

There are so many red flags with your intent, that it's just easier to just let you screw yourself over... than try to tell you why it's not going to work as you envision it.

Ian
Old Oct 25th 2012, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the recent replies.

So I will come for less than 90 days under the vwp, not apply for a b class visa, and leave. simple. My son won't be schooling in the US either, that does not work for a 90 day entry, and there is no point him getting an F-1 if i am limited to a 90 day stay.

Buying a property, agree, no, only if I have a green card, as regular re-entry immigration approval risk seems a lot higher than I thought, and with one rejection things will get ugly.

EB-5.....nice deal....
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
It's so they can run a credit check, simple as that. They want to know you're in good standing and can pay up.
Well that definitely that makes sense. And since the OP had already said that his son isn't going to enroll in a private school for his 90 visit to the US, the point is somewhat moot.

But doesn't someone have to tell you if they're going to run a credit check on you? I really don't remember my daughter's school doing that.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your son's age, that's a lot of schooling to miss.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Depending on your son's age, that's a lot of schooling to miss.
It is, and it is the deal breaker for me. My premise had been that I could have my son at school for the 3 - 6 months while I am there. That then became 3 months, with risk of re entry refusal after 3 months, which I don't care for too much. Then it became, no local schools can be used either for my son....so final attempt was for private schooling, but it seems I may well even get visa breach problems even from that, so, I am out of this, it is too hard. We will come for a few weeks holiday instead again and then leave. I won't take any visa breach risks in the USA at this stage, as a green card can be obtained.

There are plenty of other exciting places, and I will be happy to spend my hard earned dollars where I am welcome, and it seems the US does not want them, a pity, mutually, but so be it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.