Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:06 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Originally Posted by Sally
Nice to see you!

I am in that group too. But I can't stop posting lol
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
That is so relevant for me, I was recently invited to a management meeting at our HQ in new hampshire, I had to do a presentation and as I had three points, counted them out on my fingers. the wrong way... the audience was at first dumbstruck and then rolled in the aisles, it was like the I flipped the bird but didnt know what it meant and am British so..ha ha

On the subject of the thread, I have posted much less since I have felt settled here, it is hard to hear people complain when you know you are here for the long haul or potentially forever.

My view, I had a great life in UK, I work harder here and have few friends, however when DH asked last week, UK or hawai for three years? I realised I felt no rush to live in the UK other than for a visit which I am desperate for. So I feel there are distinct groups here, I am in the "I am staying, help me to make i better". Sure there must be more.
I've been in USA a long time, now USC, I'm in that group, BUT have no intention of becoming a "Don't think for yourself Americanised robot", "USA the greatest country in the world" "NYC the greatest city in the greatest state in the greatest country in the world" , "Greatest hamburger in the world" Born in England, they taught us to think for ourselves, question the Government, not listen to Bull S--t & say thank you. The bridges are falling down, roads are full of pot holes, cars are crapp & still the government tells the people they have the best of everything.
Reg. Frank R.

Ps. Thats why I keep posting. "I'm not a prisoner I'm a free man"
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:45 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
The government tells the people they have the best of everything.
And more and more people are replying "bullshit."
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:04 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in USA a long time, now USC, I'm in that group, BUT have no intention of becoming a "Don't think for yourself Americanised robot", "USA the greatest country in the world" "NYC the greatest city in the greatest state in the greatest country in the world" , "Greatest hamburger in the world" Born in England, they taught us to think for ourselves, question the Government, not listen to Bull S--t & say thank you. The bridges are falling down, roads are full of pot holes, cars are crapp & still the government tells the people they have the best of everything.
Reg. Frank R.

Ps. Thats why I keep posting. "I'm not a prisoner I'm a free man"
Just this morning I heard Gov. Ed Rendell saying, on the radio, how everything that is important in the scientific and medical worlds was discovered in America.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:01 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Just this morning I heard Gov. Ed Rendell saying, on the radio, how everything that is important in the scientific and medical worlds was discovered in America.
A friend of ours decided to homeschool her kids after her son came home insisting that democracy was an American invention, because that's what he had been taught in school.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:02 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
So this is New Waverly.

http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Waverly-Texas.html

I had to find out where you could live and only pay $700 in property taxes. I live about 40 miles out of downtown Houston to the South and we are rural but our taxes are way higher

Interesting there are 18 registered sex offenders..... that's a lot for such a small community
My property taxes were around $700 for years...then we took out a new loan and they jumped to $1200...my taxes went up 7 cents one year...
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:17 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I've never set foot in a Denny's - the sign is scarey
I kinda like Denny's...but then I grow up poor and my mum never told me there was a meal called breakfast...so its not like I know better...
Old Aug 16th 2007, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
And more and more people are replying "bullshit."
The US Government realised, give the people cheap beer, cheap cigarettes, cheap gasoline, cheap cars, cheap crappy built house, voila, the masses will be happy.
Problem is, there are 300 million people, maybe 20 -30 million know better, the rest have not a clue.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

"We have said its true, therefore it is." Most Americans, think the rest of the world are like 3rd world countries, no medicine, no computers, old cars, wind up telephones.
Bet there is not one person on this site, that has not been asked some stupid derogatory question about the old country. A question or comment that implies, how backward the UK or Europe is.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:26 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

"We have said its true, therefore it is." Most Americans, think the rest of the world are like 3rd world countries, no medicine, no computers, old cars, wind up telephones.
Bet there is not one person on this site, that has not been asked some stupid derogatory question about the old country. A question or comment that implies, how backward the UK or Europe is.

Reg. Frank R.
I can give an example: Dog food. More precisely, my mother in law calling up to confirm whether or not we have dog food in the UK, as her friend at canasta said there is no dog food in the UK.

I had to inform my MIL that her friend was correct, our dogs in the UK are all fed on a diet of real meat, vegetables and gravy.

I have to say, I thought I was pushing it with the gravy, but she bought it hook, line and sinker (much like the Serbian fruitcake, but thats another story)

Last edited by Titchski; Aug 16th 2007 at 3:27 pm. Reason: Couldn't spell Serbian
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Reg. Frank R.
I brought this point up a couple of days ago in another thread and asked at the time ... is this ignorance, brainwashing, or whatever you want to term it as, purely a result of the education system or does it go deeper? Have people just never left the 1950's?

It amazes me that the differential between American attitudes can be so inexplicably wide.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski

I have to say, I thought I was pushing it with the gravy, but she bought it hook, line and sinker (much like the Serbian fruitcake, but thats another story)

Do you end up just taking the piss?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
I brought this point up a couple of days ago in another thread and asked at the time ... is this ignorance, brainwashing, or whatever you want to term it as, purely a result of the education system or does it go deeper? Have people just never left the 1950's?

It amazes me that the differential between American attitudes can be so inexplicably wide.
Brainwashing, they want the people to believe they have the best of everything.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:37 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Reg. Frank R.
Many times.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Many times.
Thank you Doris.
Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.