Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holy Mass....We're off...

Holy Mass....We're off...

Old May 29th 2006, 3:04 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Holy Mass....We're off...

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Just remember, it's difficult to light a ciggie underwater ....
I dont have much of a problem....I usually find my smokes floating in the urinals.
Old May 29th 2006, 3:07 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I dont have much of a problem....I usually find my smokes floating in the urinals.
So where have you been lately?
Old May 29th 2006, 3:10 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Does that now make me our most northerly US member?
only if you don't count Amerlisa

http://www.frappr.com/beusa
Old May 29th 2006, 3:34 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

So where have you been lately?
Been stupid busy. Trying to get back to the UK this week and not having much luck as yet, hoping to get out Tuesday or Wednesday.

The S10 is up and running and inspected, 350 CI V8 with headers and exhaust all fitted. Really could use a bigger radiator as it runs hot, also needs 1000's of stupid little jobs doing now. Loads of squeaks and rattles from inside but man...does it GO!!! 5.7 litre in a thing that weighs as much as a corn flake box....we also found the brakes could use bigger discs up front and replacing the drums with discs on the rear axle.

We haven't even done anything wild with the engine yet either, it's just a stock 350 with a four barrel Edelbrock carb and inlet manifold and a cheapo pair of headers made especially for this conversion.

When I get back I'll post a few pics, done nothing to the body yet. Thats for the winter.
Old May 29th 2006, 3:39 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of squeaks and rattles from inside but man...does it GO!!! 5.7 litre in a thing that weighs as much as a corn flake box....
Just grit your teeth and wear bigger ear plugs
Old May 29th 2006, 3:51 am
Account Closed

Just grit your teeth and wear bigger ear plugs
I don't need earplugs..I'm married and can just "switch off"!!
Old May 29th 2006, 4:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at commutes and want to keep it fairly short and somewhere near a train stop would be nice...looking at Marlboro and further west...not much luck with sites though, plenty of retirement homes....as for the taxes and weather, I'm sure to it, ME has high taxes and mind numbing cold winters and the humid summers too, so nothing different there then

Originally Posted by newenglander
Welcome. Try thinking of moving to some place farther out like Marlboro or thereabouts. Wayland? hahahahaha (sorry) It's so expensive to live here that we are actually LOSING population. They're all migrating to the South where the cost of living is cheaper.

Be prepared to broil in the summer and practically freeze to death in the winter. Make sure you have clothing that you would wear in the jungle as well as clothing that you would wear in the Arctic. However you will have great shopping in Natick, they have a first rate mall and you can easily get to a REALLY FANCY mall called Chestnut Hill by driving (if you can call it that) east on rte 9. Framingham isn't too great but it's the headquarters of T J Maxx and Marshall's; both have name brand clothing at low prices. We have no sales tax on clothing so you can be well dressed at least.

We have no sales tax on food but we have a tax on food consumed in a restaurant. You cannot buy alcoholic beverages in a grocery store and if you drink much you may as well take a trip up to NH where it's tax free. Good grocery stores are Trader Joes (there's one next to Natick on rte 9) and Market Basket.

You will be able to drive to an ocean beach in about an hour, maybe less. That's the North Shore and it's very beautiful there but you do have to pay to go to the beach. Try Plum Island and make sure you go to places like Gloucester, Newburyport, Salem, Salisbury Beach. Also don't miss Cape Cod -- but go in the "off-season" or it's crowded.

There is a good restaurant in or near Natick for curry and other Indian food -- it's located near one of the malls where you would least expect it. Legal SeaFood is excellent but expensive.

Boston and Cambridge are ooooozing with culture -- world class museums, symphony, bookshops, unusual eating places and loads of universities and intellectual people. Upscale shops are located on Newbury St in Boston.

This part of MA is very crowded and built up so I would recommend heading for the north shore or heading to the western part of MA when you want to see countryside.

Oh, BTW the name is TAX-a-chusetts.
Old May 29th 2006, 4:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Does that now make me our most northerly US member?
not yet...and there's LutZie, who I think's in Auburn/Lewiston, south of the state, well compared to me, so there's someone still further north than you
Old May 30th 2006, 12:09 am
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
not yet...and there's LutZie, who I think's in Auburn/Lewiston, south of the state, well compared to me, so there's someone still further north than you

Yep, close to Lewiston.
I am crap at American geog though, thought after you I was the furthest north in th USA.
Well besides alaska.
Old May 30th 2006, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

goddessnna is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Holy Mass....We're off...

k i dunno what the other forum topic said but ive been living in boston almost a year now and here are the positives

you can get things like this in the local grocery:
- birds custard mix
- heinz beans
- cadbury fingers and other chocs (american chocolate is HORRIBLE)
- iron brew
- hp sauce

and best of all, they even have a good fish and chips shop, although they dont have curry sauce or malt vinegar?? or pies..

ye olde english fish & chips in woonsocket, ri.. definitely worth the drive!!!! thas the thing im the most sad about leaving behind when i leave boston for the midwest.... especially since those r the few things that have been keeping me from buyin one of the $350 roundtrip to london offers that have been popping up...
Old May 30th 2006, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by goddessnna
k i dunno what the other forum topic said but ive been living in boston almost a year now and here are the positives

- birds custard mix
- heinz beans
- iron brew
- hp sauce

and best of all, they even have a good fish and chips shop, although they dont have curry sauce or malt vinegar?? or pies..

ye olde english fish & chips in woonsocket, ri.. definitely worth the drive!!!! thas the thing im the most sad about leaving behind when i leave boston for the midwest.... especially since those r the few things that have been keeping me from buyin one of the $350 roundtrip to london offers that have been popping up...
gd gd k m8? l8ers
Old May 30th 2006, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

gd gd k m8? l8ers
Hey I want colour!!!!

m8
Old May 30th 2006, 10:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by goddessnna
[b]k i dunno what the other forum topic said but ive been living in boston almost a year now and here are the positives

- birds custard mix
- heinz beans
- iron brew
- hp sauce

ye olde english fish & chips in woonsocket, ri.. definitely worth the drive!!!! thas the thing im the most sad about leaving behind when i leave boston for the midwest.... especially since those r the few things that have been keeping me from buyin one of the $350 roundtrip to london offers that have been popping up...]
welcome to the site...but drop the colour, cheers

And Boston, aint' bad, but no chance I'm living there and commuting out, i'm looking at Western Mass, well not that west, withing I-495 Acton seems to be winning at the mo for costs etc.

but speaking of the possible job....feckers at the puter project where I volunteer, just got a grant and offered me a full time job, doing what i've been doing for a year as a volunteer...arsecakes...but least i've a back up plan
Old May 31st 2006, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
but speaking of the possible job....feckers at the puter project where I volunteer, just got a grant and offered me a full time job, doing what i've been doing for a year as a volunteer...arsecakes...but least i've a back up plan
Sounds more like they abused your presence as a volunteer. Now you're leaving they offer you a paid job because they don't want to lose you.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Toontje
Sounds more like they abused your presence as a volunteer. Now you're leaving they offer you a paid job because they don't want to lose you.
could be the case, but I hadn't mentioned anything to the boss bloke about any moves, though I did mention something to a mate that works there, he might have let slip *l*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.