Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holiday...sorry...Vacation Time (or Lack of)

Wikiposts

Holiday...sorry...Vacation Time (or Lack of)

Old Sep 23rd 2006, 2:30 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday...sorry...Vacation Time (or Lack of)

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I've lived and worked in the US most of my life, and I've never worked for a company that uses vacation time as sick time. I've never known anyone else whose employer did that, either. Sound bizarre to me.

On the upside, you live in Hawaii, so to me that would be like being on permanent vacation anyway...

~ Jenney
Mine does, sick and vacation time combined. Partly why Ive worked the last few weeks feeling lousy with a chest infection cos I need to save vacation time to go to UK.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

kev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud of

I've lived and worked in the US most of my life, and I've never worked for a company that uses vacation time as sick time. I've never known anyone else whose employer did that, either. Sound bizarre to me.

On the upside, you live in Hawaii, so to me that would be like being on permanent vacation anyway...

~ Jenney
Well, it's 'only' the first 2 days each time you're off ill. Then you get 4 weeks paid sick time year. Let's just say you don't see many new employees taking off sick!

Actually once you live & work here it doesn't really feel like you're on holiday any more
Old Sep 24th 2006, 8:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty common though, which does suck...

and hawaii....tiny island like that, I'm sure it'll get very boring very quickly if you didn't surf...
Old Sep 24th 2006, 9:46 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

~ Jenney
It's common practice around here. Think yourself lucky you've avoided companies that have such policies.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:11 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

I get 2 wks vac. Unlimited sick. No O/T pay. 5 Holidays.
I'm trying to get up the nerve to ask my boss for the xmas week off unpaid.