Reload this Page >

holiday camp?

holiday camp?

Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

janeyb13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default holiday camp?

Hi, I am new here!

Moving with my family early next year to OC California.

I have an odd question, does USA have the kind of holiday camps we have here in the UK? Park Resort, Haven, Butlins... you know the kind of cheesy tacky places with entertainment for the children (which they love)?

Just wondered, can't find anything specific when I google it

Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: holiday camp?

Originally Posted by janeyb13
you know the kind of cheesy tacky places with entertainment for the children (which they love)?s

Yes, they call it 'Florida'.... :-)
Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:34 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Well there are the Disney things, and lots and lots of live away camps for kids that free up the adults, and hotel/water park things. Same-same but different.

e.g. Great Wolf Lodge.

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 29th 2013 at 10:36 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am new here!

I have an odd question, does USA have the kind of holiday camps we have here in the UK? Park Resort, Haven, Butlins... you know the kind of cheesy tacky places with entertainment for the children (which they love)? .....
Nothing quite like that that I've ever heard of. The closest might be a Kampgrounds of America KOA facility, but I think those are entirely of a "bring your own accommodation" variety, AND don't have the cheesey light entertainment.

Oh! .... I think closest proxy might be found on the cheaper cruise lines, like Disney. They're not exactly "cheap" but I think they have communal activities for children and shows and entertainment and what have you.

But given that British holiday camps were largely a product of a post-war demoralised population and a lot of demobbed residential barrack buildings looking for a new use, it would IMO be surprising if the same kind of cheap and cheerful communal vacationing had spontaneously appeared in the US.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Christian and other religious sort of camps specially for Children.

There was a song about it.....
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Major resort hotels in the usual holiday destinations (Hawaii, Florida, Sandals, Disney etc) generally have organized kids activities I think.

I wouldn't call such places cheap.

The resorts depicted in films such as "Dirty Dancing" are probably closer to the mark but are long gone I think.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know they still had Butlins in the UK.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

They have camp/caravan sites (only they call them RVs) with loads of activities and entertainment for the family. It's just not national chains, that I've seen. Google 'RV sites entertainment' or similar for wherever you're looking. I'm in Maine and there are four or five at least here that I specifically avoid because they look so much like Butlins :-)
Old Oct 29th 2013, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold

I've lived here going on 30yrs and haven't found anything that comes close to what you are describing, unfortunately! I have wonderful memories of the many caravan sites we stayed at. Looking back, what a great place for parents as they could drink till the cows came home, all the while knowing the kids were getting entertained, and worn out!! I used to like the working men's club environment too, also a place to take kids and have a beverage, if one liked. The closest I've come to finding that kind of atmosphere is the local Eagle's Lodge. I agree with the OP regarding KOA campgrounds, but still pretty far off the mark from the UK holiday camps.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:11 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I didn't know they still had Butlins in the UK.
Yes, they do, but like everything else they've gradually evolved in an attempt to keep pace with changing expectations. The Butlins in Minehead, the town where we used to live, tried to move away from the Butlins image in the 1980s. They rebranded it Somerwest World. Now it's back to being called Butlins again. But take a look at their website; it costs more than the average hotel for a family of four to stay there! Chalets etc. are upgraded, of course, with ensuite facilities and similar, but over a hundred pounds a night?? And the food still looks pretty basic.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes, they do, but like everything else they've gradually evolved in an attempt to keep pace with changing expectations. The Butlins in Minehead, the town where we used to live, tried to move away from the Butlins image in the 1980s. They rebranded it Somerwest World. Now it's back to being called Butlins again. But take a look at their website; it costs more than the average hotel for a family of four to stay there! Chalets etc. are upgraded, of course, with ensuite facilities and similar, but over a hundred pounds a night?? And the food still looks pretty basic.
I got a bit lost on the website - it didn't look particularly cheap from what I could see.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:24 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am new here!

I have an odd question, does USA have the kind of holiday camps we have here in the UK? Park Resort, Haven, Butlins... you know the kind of cheesy tacky places with entertainment for the children (which they love)?

Just wondered, can't find anything specific when I google it

Thanks
I just googled "family summer camps" and loads of places and organizations came up. I suspect many of them are based at sites of traditional children's summer camps, which are having to diversify with specialty camps and family camps because the traditional children's camp business is dropping off, for many reasons. That is, some of the old established kids camps are still doing very well, while others can no longer make a go of it.

Facilities are often spartan and outdated at the older summer camps, in my experience. Also keeping pace with health and safety (and fire) regulations can be a challenge too.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Camp Sacramento is located on Highway 50 in California about 30-40 miles shy of Lake Tahoe. The camp is run by the City of Sacramento and offers plenty of activities for families of all ages.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 11:26 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:15 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: holiday camp?

I've never been to a holiday camp (although I think the current trend in the UK and Holland/Belgium/France/Germany is to go to 'Centerparcs'). I thought I'd read a report a few years ago that a Centerparcs was going to open in the US (can't remember where, probably Florida) but it doesn't seem to have materialised.

http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/ and http://www.centerparcs.com/

The only other place I can think of is the Club Med 'Sandpiper Bay' in Florida which is aimed at family groups from babies to adults...I once saw it featured on a UK holiday TV programme and it looks fantastic; however it's not cheap!

http://www.clubmed.us/cm/resort-sand...007-ac-vh.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.