Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

On holiday and buying a car

On holiday and buying a car

Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On holiday and buying a car

Originally Posted by UKNeil
Yeah I think I know the one you are talking about!

I've been reading and if the car already has tags it would seem I just need to transfer the title? I may be wrong but that being said I think I would need a permanent address. I can insure it with state farm and geico and its not too expensive to rule it out.

When we head back to the UK I had planned on just leaving the car here or with my family in Canada, they have a lot of land and I doubt it would ever be used on "proper" roads.

I'll see what we end up doing, all part of the adventure

You will be on holiday so why waste pressure time and have to cope with lots of hassle and red tape to probably not save any money?

Rent a car, drive and enjoy.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I've been reading and if the car already has tags it would seem I just need to transfer the title? .....
The tags are registered to the driver in the US, not the car as in the UK. Many people do get new tags with a new car, but I'm not sure why as the old ones can't be reregistered to the next owner of the vehicle they trade-in. I'd be surprised if any used cars on a dealer forecourt would have tags (if they do, they're worthless), and if you buy privately the seller is going to remove the tags from the vehicle, either for their next vehicle or to return to the state for a partial refund of their registration fee.

In the states I have experience of, to register a vehicle I need proof of an address, AND a state driving licence.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:15 am
Just Joined

UKNeil is an unknown quantity at this point

Right ok I understand it now. So if you don't have an address here then you can't buy a car and drive it around? I'd have thought there must be a way to do that.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I've been reading and if the car already has tags it would seem I just need to transfer the title? I may be wrong but that being said I think I would need a permanent address. I can insure it with state farm and geico and its not too expensive to rule it out.

When we head back to the UK I had planned on just leaving the car here or with my family in Canada, they have a lot of land and I doubt it would ever be used on "proper" roads.

I'll see what we end up doing, all part of the adventure
Registration/tax and plates will be new to you. I don't know if you need to get a inspection done when you buy in CA, but you might.

Also, it would be a hell of a hassle to import the car into Canada. You can't just leave it there.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Right ok I understand it now. So if you don't have an address here then you can't buy a car and drive it around? I'd have thought there must be a way to do that.
You can buy it easily enough. You just couldn't get it road legal very easily, leaving you having to tow it or drive it illegally, which wouldn't be ideal.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard anecdotally of people doing it, but I have no idea how. It may not have been recently, because states have tightened up their driver licensing and vehicle registration processes after 9/11, when it was revealed that several of the hijackers had obtained Virginia licenses with no difficulty.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:47 am
Just Joined

I won't be driving a car that's not road legal, that's just a bad idea. I can understand having to have an address though.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Bob
..... Also, it would be a hell of a hassle to import the car into Canada. You can't just leave it there.
Yes he can, it is perfectly easy to drive a US registered car into Canada, he just can't sell it or register it there, at least not easily, but he was planning to abandon it on land owned by relatives.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Yeah that would be the plan but we don't have a permanent address. With used cars why do people sell it and in the description give you the dates when that tags are good until? So to get it right, the person is registered on the car and when they sell both parties fill in the pink slip and the seller removes the tags and maybe the plates too, then the buyer has to go to the dmv and register the car in his name?

Cheers and sorry for being stupid!
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

. . . and the seller removes the tags and maybe the plates too, then the buyer has to go to the dmv and register the car in his name?
Tags and plates are just different terms for the same thing -- and yes, the plates are the property of the seller, as opposed to being always with the same car, so they are removed when the vehicle is sold and either handed in at the DMV or can be transferred to a new vehicle. The person buying the car has to start from scratch registering the car and getting new plates.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Got it!!
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Yogibear1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought our truck pre owned with plates and tags just paid $15 at dmv for the transfer also had to pay tax and registration fee though, but the plates stayed with the vehicle
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Thats probably why I see ads with people saying when the tags are valid until then.
I'm going to go to the DMV and ask them

cheers
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Why even bother?...a lot of potential hassle for minimum potential savings.

I had a quick look at Hertz. $1000 a month for a Dodge minivan, Ford Focus for less than $2000 Total for three months.

That's renting in San Francisco.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Yeah for 2 months getting the car from LAX its $3600 total price, I've got this one with hertz and thats the best they can do. Thats returning it to LAX so not ideal, returning it in Canada is either unavailable on some cars or costs a lot on the vehicles available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.