Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HOA'S and do's and don'ts

Wikiposts

HOA'S and do's and don'ts

Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOA'S and do's and don'ts

Our old HOA - townhome - anyway all of our mailboxes were falling apart and the only ones they would replace were the cul de sacs in which the board members lived - same with repaving the walkways.

They actually had the audacity to send out a letter saying the walkways were all chipped and needed to be replaced and so on - so we kindly reminded them that this was covered under HOA and then they promised to fix it/paint it when the summer days came around. We're in CA - where summer is 300 days of the freakin year... took them 7 years before they got around to repairing it.

So that's why I think they want to be on the board - stuff gets done quicker for them.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:53 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

This thread makes me glad I don't live in an area cover by a HOA. The city just has a code enforcement officer, and one guy can't keep 20,000 residents in line.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

ScouseLaa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
All home owner associations have rules. I am curious as to what standard or unique ones apply to you. A few of mine are trash, recycle @ yard debris stored out of sight. No unlicensed vehicles in sight, no commercial vehicles, no boats, trailers, travel homes etc. No cars parked anywhere except the street or driveway. Grass must be mowed on a regular basis. And finally no farm animals such as goats, chickens, ducks etc.
You are not far from me at all, I am in Sherwood, OR. When I bought the house we had the old owners re-side it. The HOA would not let us paint the house back the same colour that it was. Ridiculous
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:08 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScouseLaa
You are not far from me at all, I am in Sherwood, OR. When I bought the house we had the old owners re-side it. The HOA would not let us paint the house back the same colour that it was. Ridiculous
Repainting your house here requires you to get the approval (of color) of 3 of your closest neighbors. The good is there are no purple houses around.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:43 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Repainting your house here requires you to get the approval (of color) of 3 of your closest neighbors. The good is there are no purple houses around.
The land of the free ...

And they say Americans don't get irony
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The land of the free ...

I know...makes me laugh every time I enter the US (using a US passport) and I have to answer half a dozen questions from the IO.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:47 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know...makes me laugh every time I enter the US (using a US passport) and I have to answer half a dozen questions from the IO.
Jesus wept!

I entered (while still in Toronto) on my green card and all I was asked is, when he was told I was visiting an old school friend, did I play any darts and drink a lot of Guinness
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:49 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

The land of the free ...

You CAN get irony if you have the approval of 3 of your closest neighbours..

I just realised, I dont KNOW 3 of my neighbours.

Last edited by Nutek; Aug 2nd 2012 at 1:50 am. Reason: Edited cos I'm an unsociable shut-in
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus wept!

I entered (while still in Toronto) on my green card and all I was asked is, when he was told I was visiting an old school friend, did I play any darts and drink a lot of Guinness

Since becoming a USC I am always asked....'what nationality are you', 'where do you live', 'where have you been', 'how long have you been there', 'what was the reason for your visit'?

When I had a greencard the IO used to say 'welcome home'.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:55 am
I have a comma problem

Since becoming a USC I am always asked....'what nationality are you', 'where do you live', 'where have you been', 'how long have you been there', 'what was the reason for your visit'?

Good to know I have effectively wasted $700.00 then, as having the passport and ease of passing through immigration was basically the only reason I did it.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Good to know I have effectively wasted $700.00 then, as having the passport and ease of passing through immigration was basically the only reason I did it.
My favourite question is 'what nationality are you?'...while the IO is looking at my US passport. I really, really want to say something sarky...but daren't.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:08 am
I have a comma problem

My favourite question is 'what nationality are you?'...while the IO is looking at my US passport. I really, really want to say something sarky...but daren't.
I wonder what would happen if, perfectly innocently and absent mindedly, one forgot oneself and said 'British'?

The temptation to reply to 'where do you live' with 'my house' must be great as well ...
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:56 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

My (dual US/UK) family members noticed a change in the typical American IO's processing 'style' around 2004. Before that most seemed to be fairly polite, and occasionally downright friendly. After that, they got crabby, with some showing real paranoia.

This all makes a kind of sense since the Dept of Homeland Security took over INS in 2003 (after 911), & suddenly US IOs had a more serious job description. I don't know if they're even allowed to welcome anyone any more.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:59 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by WEBlue
My (dual US/UK) family members noticed a change in the typical American IO's processing 'style' around 2004. Before that most seemed to be fairly polite, and occasionally downright friendly. After that, they got crabby, with some showing real paranoia.

This all makes a kind of sense since the Dept of Homeland Security took over INS in 2003 (after 911), & suddenly US IOs had a more serious job description. I don't know if they're even allowed to welcome anyone any more.
I was welcomed as a permanent resident in 2008 by the bloke in Toronto. In Chicago, a few months earlier, I don't think even my American wife was actually welcomed. However, in my experience at O'Hare, they're all dicks there.

The guy in Toronto seemed like a genuinely decent bloke, though.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by WEBlue

I must admit I have never encountered an IO in a bad mood or being crabby. Even though they ask the questions...they are not terse or rude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.