Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HOA'S and do's and don'ts

HOA'S and do's and don'ts

Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:19 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default HOA'S and do's and don'ts

All home owner associations have rules. I am curious as to what standard or unique ones apply to you. A few of mine are trash, recycle @ yard debris stored out of sight. No unlicensed vehicles in sight, no commercial vehicles, no boats, trailers, travel homes etc. No cars parked anywhere except the street or driveway. Grass must be mowed on a regular basis. And finally no farm animals such as goats, chickens, ducks etc.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOA'S and do's and don'ts

Ours has no more than 3 dogs or cats. No washing lines. That one I object to, so I put up the airer on the deck to dry clothes on warm sunny days. They're not paying our electric bill, after all. Keep the lawn mowed. Keep the dividing fences in good repair. There's more, but I can't remember them all.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully we don't have a HOA but our local council has very strict rules about what can and cannot be done to your house/property.

This is an amusing thread about HOAs.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:48 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

No cars parked in street overnight, no basketball hoops at front without written permission, no washing hanging out, specific colours for outdoor paint, blinds had to be up within a month of moving in and had to be white or cream. There is a 1" book of 'rules'. Dogs have to be kept quiet from 10pm (I have had to use that to my advantage unfortunately for a neighbour who let their Alsation bark all bloody night!!)
Old Jul 28th 2012, 3:18 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
no commercial vehicles...
The thing about that one is they might not have jurisdiction over city streets. If its in your drive, then its an enforceable covenant - we had neighbors who had an HVAC work truck parked at night in the street - wise ol' HOA tried to stop them but they told them to go (away) as it was a public city street and not a private HOA owned, maintained road. Its probably something which differs all over.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Threads like this are great learning material. No HOAs for me. I don't care how nice the house might be.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

All of the above - I know they are trying to keep the neighbourhood up but some are just ridiculous.

When we first moved in they sent us a letter because we put the trash out "too early". Pick up is Monday morning and they wanted us to put trash out on Sunday but after 6:00pm??? A lot of us complained so they changed it to can only be left out for 24 hrs.

The other is they want to be notified if you are going to trim your trees - screw that. Unless they are paying for it I'll do what I bloody well want with my trees!

Ooo, also they want to be notified if we should get the following breed of dogs: pitbull, rottweiler or Husky's.

And you PAY for the luxury of these rules.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a condo complex and I own my own unit, but still need to adhere to the HOA rules. Some years ago I needed a new patio screen door, and after looking around at the cheap ones, I decided to go with a heavy-duty metal screen door that covers the whole sliding door area, it has a door with a handle, is way more secure, and won't fall apart in the hot dry weather. It cost a bundle, but I paid for it and Home Depot put it on order.

A friend of mind asked if it was OK with the association if I put up a back screen door that was different from everyone else's. Ugh. I never even thought to check. So I called and had to submit specs, photos, and a letter requesting permission to install. I told the girl, I hope it gets approved, cause I already ordered the thing!!

Fortunately, this kind of screen door is specified as a security door. It took the association a while to get back to me, but they finally approved it. I'm sure they were thinking if we *don't* approve it, and someone breaks in, we're responsible because we denied a security door. So, approved it was, and it looks great on my door!

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot we do have a condo committee that issues rules for our condo in Toronto. Recently they sent a note out that only white window blinds were allowed.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 4:57 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Threads like this are great learning material. No HOAs for me. I don't care how nice the house might be.
Depends where you are. Not so easy to avoid here in Houston to be honest if you want to be in a good school district.

Ours is pretty standard; external changes/buildings require approval from architectural committee, trash to be put away, cars to be on drive or garage (I think there's a 48 hr exception for guests), no farm animals, yards to be maintained to a common standard, minimum of 2 trees in front yard etc.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I would never buy a house covered by an HOA. Bad news every time.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

No HOA here which is just as well as our chickens seem to be 'free ranging' again. It seems to me that most HOA's are made up of buzzybodies with too much time on their hands.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 8:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighCountry
I would never buy a house covered by an HOA. Bad news every time.
Almost +1. Wouldn't actually rule it out, but it'd be a heavy negative in the decision.

Most of the sensible stuff the HOA covers.....is already in your city/town local ordinances. The rest is Margot insanity.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 10:11 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

At one point ours had a rule that you could only fly an American flag, this was because the state brought in a law stating that an HOA could not stop you flying an American. It took me almost four years to get that rule thrown out.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Almost +1. Wouldn't actually rule it out, but it'd be a heavy negative in the decision.

Most of the sensible stuff the HOA covers.....is already in your city/town local ordinances. The rest is Margot insanity.
I agree but....although it seems to take the city I live in a lot longer to actually make sure all ordinances are adhered to. We are living next to a "jungle" as the now foreclosed house is being ignored by the bank that owns it.Sad really because it was a beautiful property with over 3 acres of land and within 4 months of it being empty it is a haven for wild animals and crazy growing weeds and shrubs. I know a HOA would not allow that and right now the neighbours all around and us are all tired of complaining.

On the other hand it makes our property look really good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.