Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HOA'S and do's and don'ts

Wikiposts

HOA'S and do's and don'ts

Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOA'S and do's and don'ts

We had a visit from our HOA chairman shortly after we bought the house. He turned up on our doorstep and noted down our details, and asked about our immigration status. He did stop just short of actually asking to see our green cards. Surprisingly we opted not to join the association (I think it was an oversight when we bought the property as all listings for other houses in our subdivision list membership of HOA as mandatory). We received a letter from them the other day telling us we had committed a violation. Our grass was over the regulation length.

They don't do any kind of maintenance work that I can see, the $200 a year fee just subsidises their ice cream social and pool party and probably pays the gas money for them to drive round measuring the length of everyone's grass.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:24 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
probably pays the gas money for them to drive round measuring the length of everyone's grass.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:34 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

and asked about our immigration status.
They're playing with fire. If it were me, I'd be dropping a quick email to the local ACLU office.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
They're playing with fire. If it were me, I'd be dropping a quick email to the local ACLU office.
Yep, I would have told 'em it was none of their concern. Your immigration status is between you and the US government, not some busybody from an HOA.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Yep, I would have told 'em it was none of their concern. Your immigration status is between you and the US government, not some busybody from an HOA.
Unfortunately the ACLU will be no help either as the HOA is a private association and not a public authority. However, the SoCal HOA probably have some of the weirdest rules. A number of them include for how long you can leave the the garage door open and approval of paint choice and when a house is repainted. Funnily enough with the downturn in the economy a lot of HOA houses are going to renters which mean they don't give two hoots about the rules and the owners don't care either.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:48 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Maybe they were hoping immigrants would know something about lawncare.

Seriously, it would hae been a VERY short conversation if they had come to my door. Busybodies, all of em.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My HOA is really only concerned about visible stuff, although they have never said a thing about the hops I have growing up the side of the house.

Last year, one guy tried to start a coup against the HOA, but all his charges were against the previous board that had already been voted out! This year he successfully managed to become the head of the board, and it is pretty funny the stuff that he is having to deal with as a result (one of the board members that he helped get elected was behind on his HOA dues by several months!). He is still a bit nuts and likes to flex his power, I'm guessing he won't run for re-election when it comes up.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighCountry
I would never buy a house covered by an HOA. Bad news every time.
I am learning that painful lesson. I'm in a two-unit HOA and the other party consists of two lawyers. It's a nightmare.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:59 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

We had a visit from our HOA chairman shortly after we bought the house. He turned up on our doorstep and noted down our details, and asked about our immigration status. He did stop just short of actually asking to see our green cards. Surprisingly we opted not to join the association (I think it was an oversight when we bought the property as all listings for other houses in our subdivision list membership of HOA as mandatory). We received a letter from them the other day telling us we had committed a violation. Our grass was over the regulation length.

They don't do any kind of maintenance work that I can see, the $200 a year fee just subsidises their ice cream social and pool party and probably pays the gas money for them to drive round measuring the length of everyone's grass.
I must admit I'm slightly dubious as to what they actually do too!
I got a letter maybe 2 weeks after I moved in complaining that my grass was too long and weeds were encroaching on the sidewalk. I mean seriously, my grass was in no way overgrown, it just had a couple of little tufts that had grown quicker than the rest. I think they like to try and assert their authority early on and come round looking for absolutely anything to do that. It irked me as I'm in a new section with a vacant lot next to me on one side and it's a damn site uglier than a couple of little tufts of grass being 1" longer than the rest. I was just waiting for another letter a few weeks ago when we had a lot of heavy rain, as my grass grew quickly but it remained too wet to cut it without destroying it in the process.

I do understand the general concept though. Our fee goes towards maintaing the common areas (lake, walking/jogging trail, upkeep of common flower areas etc) which I don't really mind, but I do wonder how much of it gets squandered on silly things.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:03 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bootle
Unfortunately the ACLU will be no help either as the HOA is a private association and not a public authority.
Compliance with discrimination laws is not restricted solely to public bodies.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

This one I fully understand. I've seen so many balconies where people treat it as a storage room; mattresses, old furniture, etc - and mystery stuff covered in tarps ...
Fair enough about having a rule against having no shit stored there....seems a little heavy handed not allowing kids toys or veg pots though.

Each unit had a garage under the building anyway, for a lot of storage.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Our Condo Association sent out a letter warning people that their children couldn't leave toys on their back deck.
Those people drove me nuts. They would boast about having money "left over" at the end of each year.... MY money! If it's left over, give it back and I will keep it in MY bank account. I dont want it "left over", I want you to spend it on upkeep.

Okay... Deep breath...

We moved to get away from all that, thankfully. No more Associations for me.

The place we were living in had to get a loan to cover getting the siding replaced and it's a 3 year project....apparently it took 3 years to get the roof done.

Folks in the HOA are all congratulating themselves that the work is great and slowly does it...but 3 years? And the balcony railings that they had replaced recently was shit and falling apart a year later and they never replaced any of the entry awnings that collapsed after the winters snow a couple years back...those things were needed as they stopped the water pooling up and freezing on the entry steps.

Muppets.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You need a few quarts of motor oil, something to collect the old oil in, a funnel, a jack and a rolling bed thing to get under the car. That can all be easily stored. That's a thinly veiled attempt by the HOA to create the illusion that no working class people live in their plastic paradise ...
I live in a 2nd floor unit, and have no garage or storage at street level. There's also no elevator, just stairs - so I can't imagine carrying a jack, a rolling bed, and an oil-covered catching pan up and down the stairs, for an occasional oil change; not that that's the reason for them to want to ban it, I'm sure!

Originally Posted by Bink

As for the oil changes, I think it's partly to do with the disposal of oil. Some people would probably just ditch it down or the drain or put it in the trash, rather than dispose of it properly.
I imagine that's what they are focusing on - spills, disposal, etc. I used to change my own oil way back ... always managed to get a bunch of it on the ground ...
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:39 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I live in a 2nd floor unit, and have no garage or storage at street level. There's also no elevator, just stairs - so I can't imagine carrying a jack, a rolling bed, and an oil-covered catching pan up and down the stairs, for an occasional oil change; not that that's the reason for them to want to ban it, I'm sure!

I imagine that's what they are focusing on - spills, disposal, etc. I used to change my own oil way back ... always managed to get a bunch of it on the ground ...
Yes, all this is why a garage is one of the husband's top priorities--a decent-sized garage with a door that can be shut so no one can complain about the oil stains. After all, what's a garage floor without a few oil spots?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 5:33 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Compliance with discrimination laws is not restricted solely to public bodies.
... and why anyone would want to be on a board is beyond me; imo they're taking on a good amount of vicarious liability. I've known people who have sued over HOA/board closed door meetings.

Originally Posted by Bootle
... a lot of HOA houses are going to renters which mean they don't give two hoots about the rules and the owners don't care either.
alot of people don't bother/remember to attach HOA covenants to their lease. (as it prob makes it harder for LL to enforce violations resulting from tenant wrongdoings).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.