Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hmmm..driving license question..yet another!!

Hmmm..driving license question..yet another!!

Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hmmm..driving license question..yet another!!

So I needed to change the address on my TX driving license. Had to jump through hoops of proving my status..not too bad, only took 45mins!!
Just received new license in the mail...it has the "temporary visitor status" pasrt on it and has "temporary visitor status expires 01/10/10" which is when my H4 expires...BUT then the actual license itself doesn't expire until 11/02/2014. Hmmm....so what the hell does that mean for me?
I assume they think that when my visa expires I will be leaving (which isn't the case, GC due to arrive in October)
Old Jun 6th 2009, 6:49 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hmmm..driving license question..yet another!!

Originally Posted by lisa67
So I needed to change the address on my TX driving license. Had to jump through hoops of proving my status..not too bad, only took 45mins!!
Just received new license in the mail...it has the "temporary visitor status" pasrt on it and has "temporary visitor status expires 01/10/10" which is when my H4 expires...BUT then the actual license itself doesn't expire until 11/02/2014. Hmmm....so what the hell does that mean for me?
I assume they think that when my visa expires I will be leaving (which isn't the case, GC due to arrive in October)
It's something the TX DPS did recently, to make the licenses of those with temporary status different from those of citizens and LPRs. Not sure whether it's a REAL ID requirement or just another brainwave from the genii at DPS - probably the latter.

I shouldn't worry about it, just prepare yourself for the ordeal of getting a new one in October, when the GC arrives. If (more likely when) they give you shit, at that time, just go to a different office and tell them you've lost it.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:38 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

I think the new format sucks. As posted previously, I feel like it draws uneeded attention when showing ID.

Roll on GC.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior
I think the new format sucks. As posted previously, I feel like it draws uneeded attention when showing ID.

Roll on GC.

It does because of the inconvenience to holders with these types of legends. However, it is useful for the authorities who use driver's licenses as identification for such things as completing an I-9 for new employment. If you had an legend free social security card all you would need to show as proof to work is a photo identification and the legend free ss card. By putting your immigration status on the driver's license, it makes that avenue to employment harder if you don't have eligibility to work in the US.

Also is the fact that most DMV's allow you to sign up to vote in federal and state elections when you get your driver's licenses. Many people have done this without having the right to vote in federal elections and in turn may, if discovered, be subject to permanent ban from the US and nautralization.

Until they eliminate the use of a driver's license as proof for certain benefits, I would like to see a person's status reflected on the driver's license. Even of the status of USC.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
It does because of the inconvenience to holders with these types of legends. However, it is useful for the authorities who use driver's licenses as identification for such things as completing an I-9 for new employment. If you had an legend free social security card all you would need to show as proof to work is a photo identification and the legend free ss card. By putting your immigration status on the driver's license, it makes that avenue to employment harder if you don't have eligibility to work in the US.

Also is the fact that most DMV's allow you to sign up to vote in federal and state elections when you get your driver's licenses. Many people have done this without having the right to vote in federal elections and in turn may, if discovered, be subject to permanent ban from the US and nautralization.

Until they eliminate the use of a driver's license as proof for certain benefits, I would like to see a person's status reflected on the driver's license. Even of the status of USC.
Which is all very well, but DPS goes further than that. They recently lost a court case (which they are appealing) over their policy of not issuing/renewing licenses for people who are here legally but have less than 6 months remaining on their status.

It's basically an anti-Mexican policy and we Brits are collateral damage.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Which is all very well, but DPS goes further than that. They recently lost a court case (which they are appealing) over their policy of not issuing/renewing licenses for people who are here legally but have less than 6 months remaining on their status.

It's basically an anti-Mexican policy and we Brits are collateral damage.

No clue waht DPS stands for (Dept of Public Service???). In Texas I can see that it is about Hispanic (not just Mexicans) illegals but immigrants come from all over the world. And that is borth illegal and legal immigrants. So issue the license for the amount of time left on their status. Nothing is 100% convenient for everyone, even USC.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:47 pm

No clue waht DPS stands for (Dept of Public Service???). In Texas I can see that it is about Hispanic (not just Mexicans) illegals but immigrants come from all over the world. And that is borth illegal and legal immigrants. So issue the license for the amount of time left on their status. Nothing is 100% convenient for everyone, even USC.
DPS is the Department of Public Safety. It's the body that issues drivers licences in TX and, since the OP asked about drivers licenses in TX it seemed appropriate to mention them.

I've bolded part of your post because it misses the point. Yes, it would be sensible if DPS did what you suggest, but they don't. They just refuse, point blank, to issue a license. It's more or less a case of "OK, so you're legally in the country and you have a valid work authorisation but we're going to make it impossible for you to get to work. Now fsck off back to Mexico."
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Thanks for the info on DPS. Perhaps this court case will make them alter their ways. We can only hope, right?
Old Jun 7th 2009, 3:02 pm

Thanks for the info on DPS. Perhaps this court case will make them alter their ways. We can only hope, right?
Fingers crossed.

In the meanwhile, it's a good thing that the OP moved house when she did - a couple of months later and she'd have been stuffed. She should NOT move house again between July 9th and getting her green card if she wants to keep a valid DL.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed.

In the meanwhile, it's a good thing that the OP moved house when she did - a couple of months later and she'd have been stuffed. She should NOT move house again between July 9th and getting her green card if she wants to keep a valid DL.
Hadn't thought of that! No chance of moving house for a long time Will mentally prepare myself for the circus that is TX DPS for when the GC eventually turns up...in the meantime I do find myself using my EAD as ID when I can
Old Jun 7th 2009, 3:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There may be concerns from international and American employers based in TX, if these restrictions affect those on L status.

The state government can choose to ignore these concerns, but it may put the state at a competitive disadvantage.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
There may be concerns from international and American employers based in TX, if these restrictions affect those on L status.
I think it's clear that they will. The rules are at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...StatusDLID.htm and state, in part:
If the lawful admission period in the U.S. expires in LESS than six months from the date of application, NO DL or ID card (original, renewal, or duplicate) will be issued.
I wonder whether it might be worth an note in a wiki or a sticky or something to warn others. As lisa67 points out, it's not something that would occur to the average expat.

Incidentally, the answer to Lisa's question about the expiration date of the license (as opposed to status) is also on that page:
Prior to expiration of the Temporary Visitor status date, the applicant must present in-person at a driver license office, valid documentation of a status change or extension of stay in the U.S. and obtain a duplicate (or renewal) with an updated Temporary Visitor status date.

* If the applicant does not provide the necessary documentation and update the Temporary Visitor status date on or before the status date expiration, the card will be cancelled and the person may not operate a motor vehicle until the cancellation has been lifted.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:07 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

I think it's clear that they will. The rules are at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...StatusDLID.htm and state, in part:

I wonder whether it might be worth an note in a wiki or a sticky or something to warn others. As lisa67 points out, it's not something that would occur to the average expat.

Incidentally, the answer to Lisa's question about the expiration date of the license (as opposed to status) is also on that page:
And if they don't issue a DL for a person that is legally in the country, what is the next step??? Driving without a license? Could get messy.....
Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior
And if they don't issue a DL for a person that is legally in the country, what is the next step??? Driving without a license? Could get messy.....
If I'd moved a few months later, with me having to renew my H4 every year I could have been in that situation!!!!
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

I just went through the same old crap. I am over here working, on an open contract with no end date. To get the permit I was told that I MUST specify an end date, but it would have no bearing on the validity of the permit. So my employer gave me a letter stating that my contract was renewable, but expired in May 2009.

In a nutshell, I had to start the application process again from scratch a couple of weeks ago. It has been incredibly time consuming and involved getting a new employer letter, multiple visits to the Driving Licence Centre in Herald Square, and two separate social security offices. Even though they had all supporting docs I had to get new ones. My details were then faxed to Albany AGAIN for security clearance. I went through the entire process only last August.

It is valid to 2012 this time. I learned my lesson.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.