Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hiring Spoof

Hiring Spoof

Old Aug 11th 2022, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

scaly back is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hiring Spoof

Hello, just a question, it maybe should be in the Trailer Park.

So, I have recently been asked to hire people in the US. I did an interview with a candidate (who was great). When I started the on-boarding of the candidate it became obvious that the person I had interviewed was not the same as the person that turned up. (WFH and me being stupid for not doing a video second interview)

Is this a thing? I'm new to the whole hiring thing, and I know there are people on here that do this for a living, rather than my bad efforts.

Thanks, Richard
Old Aug 11th 2022, 5:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring Spoof

Nothing surprises me any more, though I haven't heard of this particular scam before (and I am not currently in a hiring role).

I can't help but wonder if you interviewed and offered the job to the "real" person (who aligns with the submitted résumé) and a substitute reported for work, or if the person who showed up used a ringer to attend the interview for him?

If the person who showed up is the person who submitted the résumé (and it is the interviewee was a ringer) then you may have a bigger problem unnwinding the situation without a legal mess.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 11th 2022 at 5:39 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Pulaski,

My issue is that I work for a European company, when I mention hire at will, they recoil.... At a base level (being a cynic) it seems to me that the guy who I 'hired' passed off the job offer to someone else. And, I would not have offered it to the person I onboarded. I fully accept it was my fault for lack of due diligence, just a bit annoying.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 5:56 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have heard of this. More for technical roles with someone doing the coding test etc.

I suspect you are not really “hiring” they likely won’t be an employee (W2) unless you have a US entity. It is just a contractor (1099).

You can at least verify the individual on the resume matches from the I9 verification, but if someone subbed in for the interview it may be harder.
Old Aug 11th 2022, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
Yes I have heard of this. More for technical roles with someone doing the coding test etc.

I suspect you are not really “hiring” they likely won’t be an employee (W2) unless you have a US entity. It is just a contractor (1099).

You can at least verify the individual on the resume matches from the I9 verification, but if someone subbed in for the interview it may be harder.
Hi THT, this is for a technical consultant role, so one of the main skills was communications, the interviewee was very good, the person I just on boarded had little skill here. I have been told the 6 month on-boarding period is happening, so I'll have to suck it up. Note to self, video interviews :-)
Old Aug 12th 2022, 12:30 am
Just Joined

SFNative is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, this is now a thing that happens. I know of it mostly in tech roles, where the person who interviewed isn't the person who shows up to work. I have heard lots of stories of these scams, and worrying bits that make it seem like there is a ring of such activities, not just one-offs and chancers.
In remote work, it can also sometimes be tracked that the work is being done from VPNs and networks from outside the country, for example. So the person you hired may be outsourcing the work itself.
Old Aug 12th 2022, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SFNative
Yes, this is now a thing that happens. I know of it mostly in tech roles, where the person who interviewed isn't the person who shows up to work. I have heard lots of stories of these scams, and worrying bits that make it seem like there is a ring of such activities, not just one-offs and chancers.
In remote work, it can also sometimes be tracked that the work is being done from VPNs and networks from outside the country, for example. So the person you hired may be outsourcing the work itself.
Hi SFNative, seems the person ducked out when I tried to sort out some trips to the west coast, guessing didn't want to do face time. Must admit, think I ducked a bullet there.
Old Aug 15th 2022, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scaly back
Must admit, think I ducked a bullet there.
Nice! I wasn't sure if you kicked them to the curb or not!