Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hiring a car on visit to the UK

hiring a car on visit to the UK

Old Apr 27th 2014, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hiring a car on visit to the UK

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Do you have any tips for getting the "very competitive" Enterprise rates? I have checked a wide variety of the recommendations on this thread, and some of the well-known travel sites that I use or know of, and the leading 3-4 sites are quoting right around £200 for the 12 days I need the car for.. ..... Enterprise came in with an offer of £264, 30% more than the rates that several others are offering! Being picked up and dropped off would be great, but it's not worth 30%, I could get two taxi rides for less, and buses for a lot less still.

Before anyone says that they've rented cars for much less, it is probably because of the size I need and I am likely physically unable, or at least unwilling, to fit/fold myself into a smaller car.
As I recall there was a big difference between the rates at airports and at the small sites where I rented from. Truro in Cornwall, Balerno (outside of Edinburgh) and Stockport, Cheshire were the 3 locations we rented from last year. In 2011 we rented several times from a location in Middlesbrough.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
As I recall there was a big difference between the rates at airports and at the small sites where I rented from. Truro in Cornwall, Balerno (outside of Edinburgh) and Stockport, Cheshire were the 3 locations we rented from last year. In 2011 we rented several times from a location in Middlesbrough.
I am looking to rent from Gloucester, which is non-airport, and I would consider to be a "small site". Any more thoughts?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking to rent from Gloucester, which is non-airport, and I would consider to be a "small site". Any more thoughts?
I had a look with Expedia.co.uk and Enterprise.co.uk. Dates June 2 for 30 days, and the best deal seems to be Hertz, £491, Enterprise being £665, so Hertz would be worth the cab fare, no questions.
Attached Thumbnails hiring a car on visit to the UK-image.jpg  
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:31 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

If you think about it, that's just over £15 a day for a car. That includes the car and a level of insurance, I would say that's a pretty fair price.
My company owns 3 luxury car hire companies and believe me, our cheapest daily rate is about £90 per day for 30 days!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon
If you think about it, that's just over £15 a day for a car. That includes the car and a level of insurance, I would say that's a pretty fair price. ....
OK, great. If you think that's "pretty fair", that's good enough for me and I'll stop looking any further.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:32 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

Pulaski, you are like a bad itch I can't get rid of...please stop stalking my posts
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:31 am

After a couple of weeks of checking various sites both recommended here and other travel sites, which were coming in consistently at around $350/£200 for 11 days of something around the size of a Mondeo or Passat, I found a good deal yesterday through Priceline, for a manual Seat Exeo "or similar" from Europcar. For those not familiar with the Exeo, it was derived from the Audi A4, and went out of production in 2013, so I am expecting that the "or similar" is more likely to be what I drive away in than the Exeo.

The rate? $273/£160ish, which seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I don't see there is much room for rates to drop any lower, so I was pleased to snap up that deal.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 2nd 2014 at 2:40 am.
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

After a couple of weeks of checking various sites both recommended here and other travel sites, which were coming in consistently at around $350/£200 for 11 days of something around the size of a Mondeo or Passat, I found a good deal yesterday through Priceline, for a manual Seat Exeo "or similar" from Europcar. The price? $273/£160ish, which seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I don't see there is much room for prices to drop any lower, so I was pleased to snap up that deal.
Sounds like a great deal. I've used Europcar in the past with good experiences. I even once picked up a car from them at Darlington Railway station on a Sunday afternoon after flying over to Heathrow and getting a train.
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest taking out an annual car hire insurance policy. It will cover you when hiring a car anywhere in the world and means you don't need to take out insurancce with the hire company. An annual policy will cost around £100. I first took one out when I was renting a car for three weeks and an annual policy was cheaper than three weeks cover! There is zero excess included.
Old May 3rd 2014, 5:45 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pipsi
I would suggest taking out an annual car hire insurance policy. It will cover you when hiring a car anywhere in the world and means you don't need to take out insurancce with the hire company. An annual policy will cost around £100. I first took one out when I was renting a car for three weeks and an annual policy was cheaper than three weeks cover! There is zero excess included.
I am confused. I never take out dedicated insurance with the car rental company, I just take their (compulsory) standard insurance (3rd party only). My AMEX Platinum card benefit then covers me for any damage caused to the rental car.

I presume the policy you refer to is for those without credit cards offering this form of benefit?
Old May 3rd 2014, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I am confused. I never take out dedicated insurance with the car rental company, I just take their (compulsory) standard insurance (3rd party only). My AMEX Platinum card benefit then covers me for any damage caused to the rental car.
I also do this, and use my Amex Blue Card.
Old May 3rd 2014, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point

I presume the policy you refer to is for those without credit cards offering this form of benefit?
Obviously is a credit card offers comprehensive coverage then there is no need for the type of policy I mentioned. I've never had a credit card that offered the same level of coverage as the rental policy I have but that's probably because of the type of credit card I have. With the policy I have I've never been required to even take out the 'compulsory' insurance the hire firm have offered. Usually showing them the policy document I have means the assistant takes of the company policy, sometimes I've been required to sign some sort of waiver stating I've turned down their policy because I have my own. Only once has the assistant needed to speak to a supervisor to confirm what I had was adequate. That was in Italy so there may have been more of a language barrier issue than anything else. Obviously different hire companies in different countries have different rules, but since first taking out a rental policy two and a bit years ago I've never had to take out even 'compulsory' insurance when collecting a rental. I've used the policy in several European countries and the USA.
Old May 3rd 2014, 7:07 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I also do this, and use my Amex Blue Card.
That seems like a great card (with benefits i thought were only available for Gold and above members) yet no annual fee. What am I missing??
Old May 3rd 2014, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

That seems like a great card (with benefits i thought were only available for Gold and above members) yet no annual fee. What am I missing??
I've had it since 2005, can't remember where I heard about it. Easy to claim the cash back, which is credited to the card against your next month's charges.
Old May 3rd 2014, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The only advantage I can see of taking out one of these policies is if either (i) your rental is longer than whatever the maximum time period covered by your credit card is; or (ii) you're renting in a country excluded by your credit card coverage. Some exclude Ireland, for example.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.