Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hiring a car in UK on US license with old address

Hiring a car in UK on US license with old address

Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:24 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring a car in UK on US license with old address

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Evidently you haven't worked out that this is what this whole line of discussion is about; that even UK citizens don't have valid UK licenses if they are resident abroad - and that UK citizens don't have any 'rights' to drive on a UK license that is not valid.
I give up LOL
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

A UK license is only valid if you have a UK address.....If you move to another country then it's not valid.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

We were in the UK in March and my OH used his UK licence to hire a car. The address on it is the property we still own but it being rented out at the moment. I believe he also showed his US licence but the rental company didn't seem to bother about it. He booked through a UK rental site as doing it through a US one seemed to be more expensive. We got a VW Passat and had no problems.
(OH is still going on about the good MPG it had! Managed to go from London to Edinburgh and Glasgow on 1 tank of gas)
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:43 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

From the DVLA website

Keeping your details correct

Telling DVLA your details have changed will ensure your record is up to date and all future driving licence reminders are sent to your correct address.

Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence.

Nothing here about surrendering your license.

Replacing Lost or Stolen License

Driving before your licence is returned

You can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:
•have held a Great Britain or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence

Nothing to say and have been resident in the country since that date.

Also, it clearly states here that you do not have to inform the DVLA of a change of address if you move abroad. If your license became invalid, I am sure they would have put. "If you move abroad your UK license becomes invalid" It also goes on to say "if you return to GB and are not in posession of a GB license..." which must surely mean you can be in posession of one.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ng/DG_10023103
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Also, it clearly states here that you do not have to inform the DVLA of a change of address if you move abroad. If your license became invalid, I am sure they would have put. "If you move abroad your UK license becomes invalid" It also goes on to say "if you return to GB and are not in posession of a GB license..." which must surely mean you can be in posession of one.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ng/DG_10023103
"In possession" of a license doesn't mean said license is valid for the period of time you aren't resident in the UK. I actually am in possession of three licenses, but am very sure that one (and possibly two) of them aren't currently valid.

It's pity there's nothing on the DVLA's website that clarifies this. I find the info supplied to Jerseygirl by email (that the license is invalid when not a resident of the UK) persuasive but not quite definitive.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 9th 2011 at 4:09 pm. Reason: "currently valid" as opposed to "valid"
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:59 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Might need a new style version mines looking a bit tattered!!
Attached Thumbnails Hiring a car in UK on US license with old address-my-dl-uk-will-make-.jpg  

Last edited by Poppy girl; Sep 9th 2011 at 4:02 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, even worse shape than mine!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Lol, even worse shape than mine!
Awful hey!! now you know why I normally use my US licence.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Tannedsilk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Might need a new style version mines looking a bit tattered!!
LOL - Next time you visit trade it in for a new one - that's what I did
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:54 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

"In possession" of a license doesn't mean said license is valid for the period of time you aren't resident in the UK. I actually am in possession of three licenses, but am very sure that one (and possibly two) of them aren't currently valid.

It's pity there's nothing on the DVLA's website that clarifies this. I find the info supplied to Jerseygirl by email (that the license is invalid when not a resident of the UK) persuasive but not quite definitive.
but it says if you aren't in possession but passed your test since 1976 you can legally drive until your new license arrives. Oh I give up
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky
but it says if you aren't in possession but passed your test since 1976 you can legally drive until your new license arrives. Oh I give up
Now you know how I felt.....I will admit that I emailed the DVLA in the UK on Friday so let's see what response I get, hopefully tomorrow
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:39 pm

HERE WE HAVE IT!!

Dear

Thank you for your email received on 9/9/11. Your email reference number is ******

Whilst an individuals citizenship has no bearing on the validity of an individuals driving licence, I can confirm that providing the licence remains valid and you have not been issued with a licence from another country since leaving GB you may driving on the strength of your GB driving licence on return visits.

If you have been issued with a licence from another country since leaving GB you should use this on your return visit, as the most recently issued licence will be the valid licence.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

When filling in the form the email reference number ***** will be required.

Regards

L Evans

Customer Enquiries Group

DVLA
Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Excellent.. so we now know that if you have a US license, then that license is the only valid license for use on UK visits; if you don't have a US license, you may use your UK license. This should be sticky'd somewhere.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 12th 2011 at 4:11 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:15 pm

Excellent.. so we now know that if you have a US license, then that license is the only valid license for use on UK visits; if you don't have a US license, you may use your UK license. This should be sticky'd somewhere.
Yes I agree and Thanks the lord we got a definitive answer, which I might add was not what any of us had suggested or thought....ie a UK license being valid even if you are not resident in the UK as long as you do not have a overseas DL ..So lol
Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yes I agree and Thanks the lord we got a definitive answer, which I might add was not what any of us had suggested or thought....ie a UK license being valid even if you are not resident in the UK as long as you do not have a overseas DL ..So lol
The irony of that wasn't lost on me... maybe you should write back and ask that they put this info on their website?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.