Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hired a car this morning- 2 hours later truck crashes into us

Hired a car this morning- 2 hours later truck crashes into us

Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Brandy07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hired a car this morning- 2 hours later truck crashes into us

So luckily myself and my children (who were in the back of the car) are all fine just shaken up. I only picked up the hire car this morning and we were on our way to a play date. I'd stopped and was indicating to turn left, the truck behind me had stopped and just as I was beginning to turn the truck behind him crashed into him which then crashed into us. One of the guys that saw it said it was a good job there was a truck behind us and that took the force from us. There were some lovely people at the restaurant we were turning into and one kind lady took my children and watched them while I dealt with the police. Finally got the police report and been back to the hire company who have been really good. Got a different car and all paperwork sorted.
I've been driving for 24 years and never been in an accident whilst I've been driving. Only been here a week and this is the 3rd day driving here! I'm just hoping that the rest of my driving experience here is uneventful.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hired a car this morning- 2 hours later truck crashes into us

Oh gosh. Firstly, glad you all are ok. Much more precious than a piece of metal.

Secondly, glad the car rental / insurance has been good about it.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 8:16 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that would ruin anyone's day. I'm really sorry but let's celebrate the good news since there's a lot of it:
1. You and your family are all okay. Don't be surprised if you feel a tad shaky/nervous for a few days. But that will soon pass.
2. It wasn't your fault.
3. And you'll have a police report to confirm it.
4. You have another car.
5. Everyone involved has been nice to you.

I call that a WIN
Old Aug 28th 2017, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Oh gosh. Firstly, glad you all are ok. Much more precious than a piece of metal.

Secondly, glad the car rental / insurance has been good about it.
Thank you. Yes it's just a piece of metal which can be replaced (and has been as I've got an undamaged car!)
Old Aug 28th 2017, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by malch
Wow, that would ruin anyone's day. I'm really sorry but let's celebrate the good news since there's a lot of it:
1. You and your family are all okay. Don't be surprised if you feel a tad shaky/nervous for a few days. But that will soon pass.
2. It wasn't your fault.
3. And you'll have a police report to confirm it.
4. You have another car.
5. Everyone involved has been nice to you.

I call that a WIN
Yes it is a win. So pleased my children are absolutely fine and now when they start school it's probably going to be the first thing they remember about the holidays!!
Old Aug 29th 2017, 3:09 am
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brandy07
So luckily myself and my children (who were in the back of the car) are all fine just shaken up. I only picked up the hire car this morning and we were on our way to a play date. I'd stopped and was indicating to turn left, the truck behind me had stopped and just as I was beginning to turn the truck behind him crashed into him which then crashed into us. One of the guys that saw it said it was a good job there was a truck behind us and that took the force from us. There were some lovely people at the restaurant we were turning into and one kind lady took my children and watched them while I dealt with the police. Finally got the police report and been back to the hire company who have been really good. Got a different car and all paperwork sorted.
I've been driving for 24 years and never been in an accident whilst I've been driving. Only been here a week and this is the 3rd day driving here! I'm just hoping that the rest of my driving experience here is uneventful.
Welcome to Pennsylvania...

In all seriousness, the standard of driving here is substantially less than the UK. I'm so pleased you and the kiddos are OK, that's what really matters.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness how frightening and frustrating. On the one hand, what bad luck to have that happen and so soon after arriving; on the other hand everyone is ok and you're in a replacement car already.

Phew! Have you driven again yet?

I hope all subsequent journeys are uneventful and dull!
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You were very lucky that you had that buffer truck there, 2.5 tons hitting a car at any speed is not going to work out well for the little people in the back seat.

Glad that the family is ok, it probably won't be the last wreck you have here. People in the US can't drive, at all.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
Welcome to Pennsylvania...

In all seriousness, the standard of driving here is substantially less than the UK. I'm so pleased you and the kiddos are OK, that's what really matters.
Thanks - yes it is what matters the most. I'm starting to realise that! I knew drivers here are not that great but didn't think I'd be in an accident just over a week from moving here!
Old Aug 29th 2017, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
You were very lucky that you had that buffer truck there, 2.5 tons hitting a car at any speed is not going to work out well for the little people in the back seat.

Glad that the family is ok, it probably won't be the last wreck you have here. People in the US can't drive, at all.
I don't even want to think about what would have happened if there wasn't a truck behind us. Just been interviewed by his insurance company.
I certainly hope it is the last accident!
Old Aug 29th 2017, 7:52 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to realise that! I knew drivers here are not that great but didn't think I'd be in an accident just over a week from moving here!
Driving standards are far from stellar in the USA. Even so, you were exceptionally unlucky and should not feel this is going to be a regular thing. I was here more than 20 years before I was involved in a crash.

On a positive note, vehicle safety standards are pretty high. My first accident was a couple of years ago and it destroyed both vehicles. But thanks to seat belts, air bags and safety cages, everyone walked away with nothing more than a few scratches and bruises.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 10:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

At our new gaff, there has been 2, three car accidents within a week and a fatality over the hill a couple weeks back, with someone pulling out into traffic and got hit by someone swerving around a car that was slowing down to take that side road.

Was so much quieter on the other side of town.

Anyway, gladd all is well with the OP.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by malch
Driving standards are far from stellar in the USA. Even so, you were exceptionally unlucky and should not feel this is going to be a regular thing. I was here more than 20 years before I was involved in a crash.

On a positive note, vehicle safety standards are pretty high. My first accident was a couple of years ago and it destroyed both vehicles. But thanks to seat belts, air bags and safety cages, everyone walked away with nothing more than a few scratches and bruises.
It's just knocked my confidence a bit now. I just want it all to go away and forget about it now. I'm going to be even more cautious driving now
Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

One of the other insurance companies called me to interview me - I know it's too late but should I have spoken to them? Do you give them statements in these cases? I've not yet heard from the car hire insurance company or the insurance company of the driver who caused the accident.
One thing I did think strange is that the police didn't speak to any of the witnesses (not that I saw anyway) and there was a lot of people about - is this normal?
Old Aug 30th 2017, 12:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I did think strange is that the police didn't speak to any of the witnesses (not that I saw anyway) and there was a lot of people about - is this normal?
Depends on the state, but if it's a "at fault" state, then who ever rear ended you will always be found at fault, so there's very little reason for the cops to do anything unless there's been a significant injury/death.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.