Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hire car Canada to USA

Wikiposts

Hire car Canada to USA

Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hire car Canada to USA

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Hi Bob,

Occasionally, Cab Companies will import Canadian Cown Vics into the USA. The KMH numbers are bigger than the MPH numbers.

I was in one this past week, in Chicago.
Yeah, that's what I've normally seen, depending on the country, one set of numbers would be bigger than the other, or sometimes the same but in orange v white etc.

Seems like a cheap and easy way to do it than having to do a special run for each market though.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Are you sure you can't push a button for KMHs, per hour.

Jim.
If it's a digital dash, should be able to and if it doesn't come up in the dash options setting, it's certainly something that can get changed in most cars using the diagnostic computer plugged in.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 2:25 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I've not seen a car that hasn't had both on the clock though...so are there really cars that only have one set printed on the dash?
I have. Rented a Ford Focus in Dublin on our last trip home so we could drive up to me ma's place instead of having a connecting flight. The speedo was only in km/h, so there was me doing mental arithmetic in my head flying up the M1 to work out what 70 and 80 was

It's 112 and 128, if anyone cares. Even after 4 years I still remember those ...
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

We rented a car to go from Indiana to Niagara Falls in Canada in November last year. Granted it was a round trip but we had no problems renting one. Had to show our passports when we rented it but other than that there was nothing else needed. The digital speedo was initially set to MPH but we changed it to Kilometers for the duration of our visit and then back to MPH.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Seemingly forever the US vehicles were made in Canada to begin with. Forever means since the 80s when Canada was cheaper than Detroit to make "US" vehicles.

I rented from Budget from Syracuse, NY (and all rental companies allowed it, just ask for paperwork stating its a rental car and going to Canada - the folks at the counters well know what that is...) and went all over Ontario and Quebec, back through Vermont. The vehicle was a Buick and had the option for km or miles. Easy peasy.

Now, why Canada won't allow rental cars to go to USA and back is beyond me. So much for NAFTA. Hertz used to not allow rental cars to cross to Mexico; unsure if that is the case still.

It very well can be true that Canada doesn't want their rental cars going over the border. I find that hard to believe, though.

ETA: Do you mean that you want a one-way rental from Canada to USA? I can see why they'd not want to do that!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 5:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomjeito
Seemingly forever the US vehicles were made in Canada to begin with. Forever means since the 80s when Canada was cheaper than Detroit to make "US" vehicles.

I rented from Budget from Syracuse, NY (and all rental companies allowed it, just ask for paperwork stating its a rental car and going to Canada - the folks at the counters well know what that is...) and went all over Ontario and Quebec, back through Vermont. The vehicle was a Buick and had the option for km or miles. Easy peasy.

Now, why Canada won't allow rental cars to go to USA and back is beyond me. So much for NAFTA. Hertz used to not allow rental cars to cross to Mexico; unsure if that is the case still.

It very well can be true that Canada doesn't want their rental cars going over the border. I find that hard to believe, though.

ETA: Do you mean that you want a one-way rental from Canada to USA? I can see why they'd not want to do that!
You can take rental cars from the US to Canada and Canada and the US...that is not the problem. The problem is renting a car in one country and dropping it off it another. When we tried to do it we hit a brick wall. None of the major rental companies would allow it.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can take rental cars from the US to Canada and Canada and the US...that is not the problem. The problem is renting a car in one country and dropping it off it another. When we tried to do it we hit a brick wall. None of the major rental companies would allow it.
Well, as I already said, I know it can be done (or, at least, could be done) because I did it about 8 years ago - all of the flights from Newark to Toronto got canceled because of bad weather and I simply had to be in Toronto the next day so I got a one way rental from Herz, drove up to Toronto that night, arriving at about 4am the next morning and dropped the car off in Toronto later the next day ...