Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hire car Canada to USA

Hire car Canada to USA

Old Jan 19th 2012, 6:11 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hire car Canada to USA

Does anyone know if I can hire a car in Vancouver and drive it down to California? I've heard you can't drive a hire car over the boarder.

I've checked on Hertz and Avis websites and both say 'no cars available'. Maybe it's due to they don't want a Canadian registered car stuck in the US...?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 8:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hire car Canada to USA

Originally Posted by N1cky
Does anyone know if I can hire a car in Vancouver and drive it down to California? I've heard you can't drive a hire car over the boarder.

I've checked on Hertz and Avis websites and both say 'no cars available'. Maybe it's due to they don't want a Canadian registered car stuck in the US...?
AFAIK that is correct. You can drive it over the border but you have to take it back to the same country it was rented from. We had a similar problem a couple of years ago.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

One way trips between the US and Canada are possible - I did a one way Newark to Toronto trip with a Hertz rental car a couple of years ago - not sure how much effort it took to get that set up because it was arranged by my company's travel department.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian Cars Dashboards are geared towards Kilometres whilst US Cars are in Miles.

You will be pissing into the wind on this one.

Jim.
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
One way trips between the US and Canada are possible - I did a one way Newark to Toronto trip with a Hertz rental car a couple of years ago - not sure how much effort it took to get that set up because it was arranged by my company's travel department.
Really? We could not hire a one way Toronto to New Jersey with Hertz...or with anyone else.

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Having looked at a bit more it might just be easier for us to fly to Seattle hire a car and drive on to Vancouver, then drive it back down to California.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
AFAIK that is correct. You can drive it over the border but you have to take it back to the same country it was rented from. We had a similar problem a couple of years ago.
Yup...the rental folks don't want to be lumbered with having to import a car...what you might be able to do is return the rental near the border and if there's another one close on the other side, get them to drop you off at the other side?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Canadian Cars Dashboards are geared towards Kilometres whilst US Cars are in Miles.

You will be pissing into the wind on this one.

Jim.
I've not seen a car that hasn't had both on the clock though...so are there really cars that only have one set printed on the dash?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
I've not seen a car that hasn't had both on the clock though...so are there really cars that only have one set printed on the dash?
Our Mercs only have miles on the clock. Odd as they are German cars.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:23 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome trip. We drove from Seattle to Vancouver, but ours' was a round trip.
Have fun.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Awesome trip. We drove from Seattle to Vancouver, but ours' was a round trip.
Have fun.
The plan seems to be shaping into, us flying to Seattle and driving to Vancouver to meet the in-laws who will be flying in from the UK. Spending some time in Vancouver, before driving back to Seattle for a few days then spend a few days driving down the Oregon coastline back home to Silcon Valley and for the in-laws to stay on with us another couple of weeks.

Getting excited already, and I've got another vacation booked between now and then
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Hi Bob,

Occasionally, Cab Companies will import Canadian Cown Vics into the USA. The KMH numbers are bigger than the MPH numbers.

I was in one this past week, in Chicago.

I'm sure that the documentation is something the Rental Companies could do without......especially if Rental Locations are operated by Fanchisees.

Jim.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:48 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

The plan seems to be shaping into, us flying to Seattle and driving to Vancouver to meet the in-laws who will be flying in from the UK. Spending some time in Vancouver, before driving back to Seattle for a few days then spend a few days driving down the Oregon coastline back home to Silcon Valley and for the in-laws to stay on with us another couple of weeks.

Getting excited already, and I've got another vacation booked between now and then
I love that Pacific Coast highway. It's gorgeous. Be sure to stop at Canon Beach to see the Goonies view, and hike back to the beach to the North of the Canon. And look out for whales. And the coral garden thing. It's so pretty.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Our Mercs only have miles on the clock. Odd as they are German cars.
Are you sure you can't push a button for KMHs, per hour.

Jim.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Are you sure you can't push a button for KMHs, per hour.

Jim.
Not on the speedo itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.