Wikiposts

hiiiiii

Old May 9th 2009, 7:33 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hiiiiii

Originally Posted by rivit
HEY, I resemble that remark.
You minger.
Old May 9th 2009, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

My daughter and her hubby worked in IT in north east USA, but they have since moved to California to better jobs. I think good jobs are out there if you have a good network of people to hear about them.
Old May 9th 2009, 9:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit
My daughter and her hubby worked in IT in north east USA, but they have since moved to California to better jobs. I think good jobs are out there if you have a good network of people to hear about them.
being here and able to work makes a massive difference....there's stacks of folks already here that dont' have jobs that there just isn't the need to sponsor in talent anymore...
Old May 9th 2009, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
being here and able to work makes a massive difference....there's stacks of folks already here that dont' have jobs that there just isn't the need to sponsor in talent anymore...
Yes, i agree with you. My son-in-law heard about his present job through the people he was working with, it was a new company starting up and they took a chance and went with them.
So far everything is looking good.
Old May 10th 2009, 2:53 am
Just Joined

soft-hearted is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish good luck and happy life
Old May 12th 2009, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

roximum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Have you ever thought about moving to a better part of the UK ?
YEP done that and it is crap. we lived in scotland and moved to england
Old May 12th 2009, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

roximum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
If your minted, you could perhaps buy into a business, but it's shaky grounds and I wouldn't do it in Florida if that's where you had your hols.

IT, not a chance, dime a dozen and unless have really niche skills there's little to no chance in getting someone to stump for the costs and hassle.

I'd definitely consider moving around the UK if you fancy a chance, perhaps even somewhere else in the EU if you don't worry about the language, which might not be a problem in Holland or Sweden and a few other countries where English is common.

If you do decide to move though, you've got to do it for the pluses of the country, the real pluses it'll bring you rather than the holiday sun thoughts and certainly not for the negatives of the country your leaving, because you'll find those same problems in other countries but without the benefit of under standing the system or having a support network of family/friends and familiarity to help you out in a rough spot.
family support is NOT an issue for us we dont have any family support. my family dont pay us or our kids any attention etc. im fed up being taken for granted in this country and we just want our kids to see the world and realise that there is better than the uk out there, and yes i do understand that we will be starting from scratch etc and that work is hard etc etc, my hubby has applied for a job wirth the bank of america in the uk with prospects of reloc to the U.S but we want to look at all our options etc. and do whats right for our kids, this has been something i have thought long and hard about for the past 6 years and life isnt getting any longer.
Old May 12th 2009, 10:52 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roximum
family support is NOT an issue for us we dont have any family support. my family dont pay us or our kids any attention etc. im fed up being taken for granted in this country and we just want our kids to see the world and realise that there is better than the uk out there, and yes i do understand that we will be starting from scratch etc and that work is hard etc etc, my hubby has applied for a job wirth the bank of america in the uk with prospects of reloc to the U.S but we want to look at all our options etc. and do whats right for our kids, this has been something i have thought long and hard about for the past 6 years and life isnt getting any longer.
You still haven't said what makes you think the U.S. would be better than the UK? Plenty of things to be fed up about here too...
Old May 12th 2009, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Bank of America received TARP funding (money from the government bailout) and so is forbidden from receiving H1 visas for the time being, I think. Not sure how that impacts L1 visas.

Also, moving from Scotland to England? Therein lies your problem!
Old May 13th 2009, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
You still haven't said what makes you think the U.S. would be better than the UK? Plenty of things to be fed up about here too...
Nor Norway....
Old May 13th 2009, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

...im fed up being taken for granted in this country
And you think that's different in the USA? Other people may have different experiences, but if you want a country where employees are taken for granted the US is the place for you (especially in Corporate America).

...and we just want our kids to see the world and realise that there is better than the uk out there...
If you want your kids to see the world, stay in the UK, it is more centrally located... With the exception of Canada and Mexico, the USA is eight hours flight from anywhere. In the three years prior to moving to the US, I took vacations to Crete, Morocco, France, Switzerland and Turkey... In the last six years in the US, I've visited, err... The UK! I have no vacation time to go anywhere else.

...and yes i do understand that we will be starting from scratch etc and that work is hard etc etc...
That's good.

...my hubby has applied for a job wirth the bank of america in the uk with prospects of reloc to the U.S but we want to look at all our options etc...
Good luck to your husband in his job application...

... and do whats right for our kids, this has been something i have thought long and hard about for the past 6 years and life isnt getting any longer.
What do your kids think of this? Are they in school?
Old May 13th 2009, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CitySimon
If you want your kids to see the world, stay in the UK, it is more centrally located... With the exception of Canada and Mexico, the USA is eight hours flight from anywhere. In the three years prior to moving to the US, I took vacations to Crete, Morocco, France, Switzerland and Turkey... In the last six years in the US, I've visited, err... The UK! I have no vacation time to go anywhere else.
Man that is so true. I was just talking about this the other day. I haven't been on a proper holiday since I've lived here and I suddenly realised how much I want to just go somewhere new and have a nice holiday. All my vacation time is taken up with a 2 week trip to UK each year to visit friends and family. Back in the UK i'd normally have 2 or 3 foreign holidays a year. I really took it for granted.
Old May 13th 2009, 3:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

but we want to look at all our options etc. and do whats right for our kids
I have to ask why you think the US would be better for your kids?

The main reason we decided against a move to the US is that we thought the negatives would far outweigh the positives for our kids (i.e. seeing their father less as he'd only get 5 or 10 days holiday a year and work longer hours, education not any better unless you pay for private schooling, far further to Europe and no time for holidays elsewhere in the world, a more sedentary lifestyle, less secure visas etc, etc).

Canada will hopefully give them more (access to outdoor activities such as skiing every weekend, schooling in French so they'd learn another language, visa security - no danger of us being kicked out of the country if hubby loses job, etc) which is why we've chosen there.

Obviously that's just what we've chosen to do and our decision from initial research so may not apply to you. But if your children are your primary concern then I'd have thought a lot of other countries should be considered before the US. I've not seen anybody on here ever cite 'a better life for our children' as a reason for moving to the US!
Old May 13th 2009, 7:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking it's more down to "support" in event of anything happens than the day to day....surely you've got friends who would help out, look after the kids if one of you got hit by a bus or the house burned down etc? You'd have nothing like that over here and with any new country you wouldn't know where to get things sorted. The US would make that easier for you because there is no help.

The work culture in the US is pretty rough, lack of security, cost of medical, lack of holiday and long hours etc. I'd also not bother with BoA if your thinking of using them as a crutch to get into the US because it won't as mentioned, look for another bank who didn't take bail money.

I would seriously still consider a move around the UK or the EU, for starters it's a lot cheaper and it is something you can achieve without going bankrupt.

If you still really want to do it, good luck with it, but I think your reasons for wanting to do it are a bit weak. Most folk who think this place is shit, that place must be better usually end up disappointed, rose coloured specs and all that.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:28 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I was thinking it's more down to "support" in event of anything happens than the day to day....surely you've got friends who would help out, look after the kids if one of you got hit by a bus or the house burned down etc? You'd have nothing like that over here and with any new country you wouldn't know where to get things sorted. The US would make that easier for you because there is no help.

So true. I hate filling out the forms for school that say 'who can we contact in an emergency other than parents'. Errr.. no-one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.