Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The High Life?

The High Life?

Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:52 am
Just Joined

KatyH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The High Life?

I am a journalist with 'Going USA' a publication written for British people interested in moving to America.
I am currently writing an article profiling various mountainous areas in the US and am looking for people who live in these areas to give their opinions on the lifestyle. There is the obvious pro - living near the mountains you get great access to winter sports, areas of natural beauty etc, but is there a down side? What are the other draws? What are the economic opportunities in your area like? What other recreation is there? What is property like? Is there anything you miss about the UK?
When you respond, if you would like to be featured in the article, please could you send me your name - and don't forget to say where you live!
Many thanks,
Katy Humphries
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:44 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The High Life?

Originally Posted by KatyH
I am a journalist with 'Going USA' a publication written for British people interested in moving to America.
I am currently writing an article profiling various mountainous areas in the US and am looking for people who live in these areas to give their opinions on the lifestyle. There is the obvious pro - living near the mountains you get great access to winter sports, areas of natural beauty etc, but is there a down side? What are the other draws? What are the economic opportunities in your area like? What other recreation is there? What is property like? Is there anything you miss about the UK?
When you respond, if you would like to be featured in the article, please could you send me your name - and don't forget to say where you live!
Many thanks,
Katy Humphries
Here's a link to the "Going USA" website, since Katy forgot to include one:

http://www.outboundpublishing.com/

...make up your own minds whether you think it's something you'd want to contribute to.

"While there are many visas available with which to immigrate to the United States, you must decide what you are going to do with this new life..."

...sounds a bit too easy to me
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:46 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Here's a link to the "Going USA" website, since Katy forgot to include one:

http://www.outboundpublishing.com/

...make up your own minds whether you think it's something you'd want to contribute to.

"While there are many visas available with which to immigrate to the United States, you must decide what you are going to do with this new life..."

...sounds a bit too easy to me
Not that I'm bitter or anything. Just because the highest point in Dallas is all of about 20ft above sea level...
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:53 pm
ImHere

Not that I'm bitter or anything. Just because the highest point in Dallas is all of about 20ft above sea level...

Towers over us

Old Jun 6th 2005, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Show off.....
Old Jun 6th 2005, 6:20 pm
In God We Trust

UKzeus is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: The High Life?

Many thanks,
Katy Humphries
Will Idaho do on the Rocky Mountain Range ??
Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Downsides to living near big mountain resorts (sugarloaf in this case)...******* tourists-means the really bad roads get a lot worse, lots of traffic and stupid people that don't realise moose are huge and deer numerous so causing lots of accidents.
Skiing/golf really expensive, expensive petrol...you've got to drive ******* miles to get to grocery stores...
In the summer the insects the size of golf balls come out of the woods to attack you and you've got to worry about west nile etc.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:38 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Oops sorry.....thought this was a thread about beer...
Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
Oops sorry.....thought this was a thread about beer...
cleaner thoughts than me when I saw it then
Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:58 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks,
Katy Humphries
If you're profiling "various mountainous areas in the US" wouldn't it be an idea to tell us which areas those are?
Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks,
Katy Humphries
Last time I took a trip to the mountains (about 1 hour drive from where I live) I saw one too many snakes for my liking and my dog came back with ticks ... kind of put me off going back!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
and you've got to worry about west nile etc.
We've got west nile virus in this area ... often see dead birds by the trees and I wonder whether the virus killed them? After all, I don't think it's normal to have birds just dropping dead like that on a regular basis. They also put contraptions in the trees with some kind of liquid in them ... maybe something to do with collecting the bugs that spread the virus?
Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:22 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
We've got west nile virus in this area ... often see dead birds by the trees and I wonder whether the virus killed them? After all, I don't think it's normal to have birds just dropping dead like that on a regular basis. They also put contraptions in the trees with some kind of liquid in them ... maybe something to do with collecting the bugs that spread the virus?

We have no mountains (not even a small hillock) within several hundered miles but we do have plenty of poisonous snakes/spiders/flying nasties etc.

Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:14 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Salmonella in dirty bird baths (and other stagnant water) is what kills them off around here.

As to the topic at hand, wish I could help the OP, but can't think of any downsides.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 1:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
Well we live in the White Mountains in new Hampshire.

The plusses...............

Beautiful no matter what season.
No Sales Tax

What sucks............

Bugs
Animals dead on the highways on your way to work everyday (from getting run over) By asshole tourists that can't drive!
<<snip>>
Bugs
Poison Ivy
Bugs
<<snip>>
Bugs<<snip>>
All of the above are not unique to NH.

One of my activities whilst driving around is identifying roadkill that I see in various states of squashedness (is this a word?). I couldn't believe it when I saw a severely flattened box turtle that hadn't quite made it across a road a few weeks back.

Bugs are a real problem throughout the US. You didn't specify any particular bug but I don't like Japanese beetles or those caterpillars that spin those huge ball shaped webs that hang in trees.

Poison ivy is a nuisance too. The other half was "stung" by poison ivy last week and about a third of one arm is covered in pustules and redness. Nasty looking.

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.