Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi I am New.

Hi I am New.

Old Aug 6th 2017, 12:55 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi I am New.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The separation from older children is one of the most difficult parts of opting for an E-2 existence.
oh I don't know....

I don't know about the rest of you but by the time I was 21, I had well and truly established my own life away from my parents. I would go home for the odd weekend and maybe at christmas. I certainly would not have wanted to tag along if they had moved out of the country.

I still wouldn't pay out the dosh for a US college though if they weren't able to stay....
Old Aug 6th 2017, 12:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
oh I don't know....

I don't know about the rest of you but by the time I was 21, I had well and truly established my own life away from my parents. I would go home for the odd weekend and maybe at christmas. I certainly would not have wanted to tag along if they had moved out of the country.

I still wouldn't pay out the dosh for a US college though if they weren't able to stay....

LOL -- that describes me exactly! I had left home for a job in London by that age. I didn't phrase what I actually wanted to say very well -- in basic terms, I meant that you bring them to the US, get them established in a new life, then they get kicked out at 21.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I left home when I was 18 (moved to the other side of the city)...but that was because I wanted to...not because I had aged out and could no longer live on the same continent as my family.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

JOK1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Both of them are looking for employment in the USA, the oldest one has already done a 4-month university summer work with Disney and loved it and is looking to do the same for the end of year 2 and will be looking for employment with a BA Hons at the end of year three around 24 months time.

The younger boy is looking for sponsorship in the USA for his university due to his academic grade results and the employment he's looking for is in need within the USA, he is already looking at offers at present for a 2018 start.

So if with or without their parents both are looking for employment in the USA and certainly have a better start to employment in the USA than there parents and maybe there before us.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 1:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JOK1
Both of them are looking for employment in the USA, the oldest one has already done a 4-month university summer work with Disney and loved it and is looking to do the same for the end of year 2 and will be looking for employment with a BA Hons at the end of year three around 24 months time.

The younger boy is looking for sponsorship in the USA for his university due to his academic grade results and the employment he's looking for is in need within the USA, he is already looking at offers at present for a 2018 start.

So if with or without their parents both are looking for employment in the USA and certainly have a better start to employment in the USA than there parents and maybe there before us.
Actually, rather than looking for employment, they will be looking for sponsorship for employment, which is a whole different ballgame. Would you invest a lot of money to hire a kid when there are a raft of them available in country who don't need sponsorship?
Old Aug 6th 2017, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most it seems people on here moved through employment but not sure how many managed that straight out of Uni, best to look at as a longer term goal.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 1:34 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JOK1
Just about every single US based sponsorship for university is for permanent residents (green card holders) and/or US citizens.
There is some aid available for non-US students but from what I've seen they really do need to be super clever.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Aug 6th 2017 at 2:18 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 2:47 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they are going for the Fulbright Program but I thought this was a post-grad program for doctoral candidates. I know a post-grad student who was accepted onto the Fulbright program. We studied together in Germany and she went to Arizona. She's now a professor. She had to show works that she had published and extensive research that she had done to be accepted. It wasn't just a case of "the one with the best grades". She didn't spend her holidays working at Disney, she did field research and attended seminars.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

80 odd posts in this thread reciting the same stuff that exists in every other "move to x" thread.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
80 odd posts in this thread reciting the same stuff that exists in every other "move to x" thread.
It's the BE way.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Perhaps they are going for the Fulbright Program but I thought this was a post-grad program for doctoral candidates. I know a post-grad student who was accepted onto the Fulbright program. We studied together in Germany and she went to Arizona. She's now a professor. She had to show works that she had published and extensive research that she had done to be accepted. It wasn't just a case of "the one with the best grades". She didn't spend her holidays working at Disney, she did field research and attended seminars.
Field research and seminars are impossible for the profession he's looking to move into so better to work than sit on his backside.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

I was hoping to get some advice which I have and is all useful and taken on board and all appreciate.

Moving forward has anyone got any good pointers on who to use legal wise for assistance on these issues, I have tried looking but recommendation goes a long way on these matters.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

PeterNem is an unknown quantity at this point

80+ posts and nobody even retorted with "Hello, New!"
Old Aug 6th 2017, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PeterNem
80+ posts and nobody even retorted with "Hello, New!"
Hello and thank you.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

I was hoping for help with direction on good buyer brokers, good place to look at for buying business ect ect

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.