Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi from a disgruntled (homesick) brit

Hi from a disgruntled (homesick) brit

Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:14 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from a disgruntled (homesick) brit

Originally Posted by Esquimaux

.....unfortunately on here the majority of posters are still harping on about Marmite, M&S and the BBC which is great if thats whats important to you, it wont help you assimilate though (if thats what you to do)
Walkers Cheese and Onion crisps.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Esquimaux
you crack me up .. what's "normal" ? English ? you're abroad mate its different ....the more you fight the differences the harder it becomes, we struggled with this for the first six months. I love LA, its a great a city, I like the diversity, I like the differences - isn't that part of the fun ?

.....unfortunately on here the majority of posters are still harping on about Marmite, M&S and the BBC which is great if thats whats important to you, it wont help you assimilate though (if thats what you to do)
Let him go through it, everyone does... including you it seems.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by contactandynow
Hi All

NB: my final gripe is the way the yanbks think their way is the only way ie coloured people are BLACK over here or you are being disrespectful, dont double dip your chip etc etc - drives me nuts...

thaks once again to all - I feel a little better...

If anyone knows of a way to get some gainful employment over here - I would be grateful as well as that may help things...

I don't want to pick on you, but calling black people 'coloured' is offensive anywhere. Most black people here prefer to be called African Americans, and if that is what THEY prefer, who are we to argue?

As for double-dipping - eeeeeeek!!!

You are looking for work? What's your line of work - qualifications, experience? What efforts have you made so far - what is the problem in finding work?

It WILL get easier, though some people like myself will never be able to call the US home, so for me it will always be temporary.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:38 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe life is wonderful because of BE

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Take no notice....if life was so wonderful as some claim they wouldn't have time to spare on BE....no matter what they say.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:39 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Think you mean Prawn Cocktail

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Walkers Cheese and Onion crisps.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
You guys are PATHETIC!!!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
I think that comment was for my benefit. BTW Gruff I've cleaned the store out of cheese and onion....I'm now on smokey bacon.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:45 pm
Homebody

I think that comment was for my benefit. BTW Gruff I've cleaned the store out of cheese and onion....I'm now on smokey bacon.

Soon you'll be too fat to get out the door...
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Soon you'll be too fat to get out the door...

Don't I know it.

Not had any more UK goodies since Monday. If they are in the house I can't leave them be....I have to eat them all.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:52 pm
Homebody

Don't I know it.

Not had any more UK goodies since Monday. If they are in the house I can't leave them be....I have to eat them all.

No bloody willpower

Now where are all those KitKats I brought back last week?
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Elvira
No bloody willpower

Now where are all those KitKats I brought back last week?
That reminds me...I told a lie...I ate the last Penguin yesterday.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome.

I'm not far away from you.

You are probably going through a fairly normal homesickness phase. The old cliche about getting out and meeting people is the only way to do it.

Are you quite old? "Coloured" went out a ling time ago - I've only heard pensioners say it in the UK.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Welcome.

I'm not far away from you.

You are probably going through a fairly normal homesickness phase. The old cliche about getting out and meeting people is the only way to do it.

Are you quite old? "Coloured" went out a ling time ago - I've only heard pensioners say it in the UK.

Bloody hell Sally...take it back!! I was brought up to say 'coloured' and that it was offensive to say black.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 7:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to the forums...sounds like you'll fit right in
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:02 pm

Esquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond reputeEsquimaux has a reputation beyond repute

Take no notice....if life was so wonderful as some claim they wouldn't have time to spare on BE....no matter what they say.
Bollocks I just **** about at work all day ... Im not posting in the evenings or at weekends .... only 55 posts in 5 months

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.