Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hi! Boston/Cambridge

Hi! Boston/Cambridge

Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:12 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi! Boston/Cambridge

Originally Posted by Bob
And it's the burbs where we live, well up the road in the next town over.
When the weather is nicer one of my favourite bike rides is from Harvard Square out through Newton and Wellesley do a loop around Dover and back. I stop off at the White Mountain ice cream parlour, across from the station and town hall, for a great ice cream.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
When the weather is nicer one of my favourite bike rides is from Harvard Square out through Newton and Wellesley do a loop around Dover and back. I stop off at the White Mountain ice cream parlour, across from the station and town hall, for a great ice cream.
not been there, might have to check it out in the summer
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

eepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by popcorn
WOW!

OK, firstly, thanks so much for all the advice and 'bring you back down to earthisms'. I really appreciate it. I wasn't aware of the road situation, so that's a heads up. Don't think we will need to use a car that much, I'm happy with public transport and (get ready for waves of laughter) Hus is a big mountain biker, currently cycles 8 mile to and from work, so is vainly hoping on doing similar-weather permitting. The rent thing is also a factor. Hus asked about the dog thiing when he was out there, but it didn't seem to be too much of a prob with him being fairly small - he's just a little terrier, but we shall see...I also didn't know about working for yourself! nightmare! I wasn't really sure how to go about that, or even if I could on a H4. I was thinking about doing some freelance illustration etc... but maybe no!?
I've just finished my second Winter here and can attest to a couple of things:

1. Roads are shite in most places. They do resurface them (and I mean just put a new surface on) but they don't last long. I now know why US suspension is softer than European cars

2. Cycling is bigger than you'd think here. I do more road racing here and group training than I ever did at home (mainly out to the west of Boston). Check out Bikereg.com if that's of interest to you.

3. Boston is pretty much the best I've been to so far for public transport. I live in Metro West (Dedham area) and the commuter rail is pretty good but doesn't run very late at night.

4. I love the city - there's plenty to do and lots of lovely restaurants to go to. Parking is rubbish so public transport is wise but make sure to check the times.

5. Taxes can be a nightmare - my wife just became self employed and it was a minefield to get everything filed.

6. Craigslist is your friend - we found our first house to rent, both cars and various household items on it. I also sell stuff on it when I've got bored with it.

Good luck!

Martin
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:21 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't find taxes that high in MA...not when I look back at what we paid in the UK...or what we pay in Property tax in FL...
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:14 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

my sister lives in beverly and she hates it. she liked it at first but she says everyone is rude, its isolated, and the food is bad.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:21 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnStang
my sister lives in beverly and she hates it. she liked it at first but she says everyone is rude, its isolated, and the food is bad.
Beverley Thats outside Rt128, is there any life out that far?

Once I was at a party in downtown Boston speaking to a woman who lived in the South End. She asked where I lived, I think to gauge my status, and when I said Watertown she thought for a moment, trying to locate it on a mental map and then said in apologetic tones "Oh....., but I hear you can get a lot for your money OUT THERE".
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:53 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Best ice cream in Boston area:
1. Lizzy's in Waltham on Moody
2. Herrell's in Harvard Square and Allston

That is all.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eepgmik
2. Cycling is bigger than you'd think here. I do more road racing here and group training than I ever did at home (mainly out to the west of Boston). Check out Bikereg.com if that's of interest to you.
It's a big sport...but not seen many do it as a means of transport though...
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Hiro11

That is all.
Moody Street...there's a good curry house there too apparently...but parking is a munter, and err...yeah, wouldn't leave anything in site in your car out there

But will have to check out the ice cream place
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:18 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Moody Street...there's a good curry house there too apparently...but parking is a munter, and err...yeah, wouldn't leave anything in site in your car out there

But will have to check out the ice cream place
Nah, Waltham's very safe and Moody is very crowded. Waltham is nicer than it looks

Waltham actually has a lot of good restaurants, particularly Italian. Il Cappricio, Campania and Tuscan Grill all do good Italian. IMO, Campania is one of the best Italian spots in the Boston area.

New Mother India on Moody is passable curry (India Paradise in Newton Center right next to the T is probably better if you're in the area).

As an added bonus, Watch City Brewery on Moody is a very good brewpub. Some of their ales are truly tasty.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Nah, Waltham's very safe and Moody is very crowded. Waltham is nicer than it looks

Waltham actually has a lot of good restaurants, particularly Italian. Il Cappricio, Campania and Tuscan Grill all do good Italian. IMO, Campania is one of the best Italian spots in the Boston area.

New Mother India on Moody is passable curry (India Paradise in Newton Center right next to the T is probably better if you're in the area).

As an added bonus, Watch City Brewery on Moody is a very good brewpub. Some of their ales are truly tasty.
cheers for the heads up, we don't live far from newton, so might have to check it out...there's a place in framingham that ain't to bad, well it's good for lunches anyway...

And waltham, there's good pockets and many a dump, without knowing the area, it's a tad hard to get your bearings, which is why we didn't bother with the place after a quick look, but then when your checking as many places out on a weekend like we were doing, we wanted to spread our wings as much as possible...found a bargain of a lovely place in newton though, till we found out it was opposite the fire station
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:50 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

That is all.
Best ice cream in MA is Steve's in Northampton, he started it after he sold Herrell's. FYI Northampton is the best town to live in in MA.

I rode a bike to work for 5 years and I pass lots of bicycle commuters in the morning between Harvard and Watertown Square.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:25 pm
I approved this message

Originally Posted by nun
Best ice cream in MA is Steve's in Northampton, he started it after he sold Herrell's. FYI Northampton is the best town to live in in MA.
Other way around, he started Herrell's after he sold Steve's. The ice cream place in Thorne's Market in Noho is a Herrell's.

Also, I grew up in Amherst. Northampton is indeed excellent, especially if you're a gay woman .
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

I have a question for Hiro or nun who seem to know the Northampton/Amherst area

I have to find somewhere out that way for a small family reunion - 2 nights in October for 7 people ages 15 to 70 (we're celebrating my Dad's 70th and the need to be in that area is to see my daughter who starts Umass Amherst this Fall). I'd love to hear any suggestions for nice places to stay.

Thanks

PS Sorry to hijack your thread popcorn - but you might want to explore this area too - if only for the ice cream at Steve's

Last edited by janj; Mar 23rd 2007 at 2:24 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:18 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Other way around, he started Herrell's after he sold Steve's. The ice cream place in Thorne's Market in Noho is a Herrell's.

Also, I grew up in Amherst. Northampton is indeed excellent, especially if you're a gay woman .
You're right on both counts,the best is which ever one invented the "shmushing"

FYI NoHo is good whatever your inclination is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.