Reload this Page >

Helping a friend

Helping a friend

Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

shaun0h is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Helping a friend

Hello,
I am brand spanking new to this community, and I am not a British Expat, but I'm here on behalf of a friend who's considering moving here to the states. I've sent him the information found on the wiki, and links to this board. I just want to be the most help to him that I can, and I'm not really sure how to do that.

He's 20 and seriously considering moving here (New England) to find himself and because he's always dreamed of it. I want to support him in whatever he decides to do, I'm just not sure of the best way to do that. I've provided him with the average costs of living in the area he's considering, tried to convince him to come here on holiday to experience what I can only imagine is a major culture shock, and overall trying to get him to talk through it, and what he really needs out of the process.

I'm just not sure what will help him the most to make his decision, and help/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helping a friend

Counselling is good for helping people find themselves. New England really isn't...
Old Oct 28th 2012, 12:53 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

For probably 95% of the people in their 20s who want to move to the USA, there simply is no visa available for them. Hold your horses, end of story, do not pass go.

Before you get into look and complicated discussions about culture and where to live and budgets, you need to have a very serious discussion with them about visas and how they would get one.

Quite frankly, in the eyes of the US immigration service, the United States does not want or need any more immigrants. He will have to convince them otherwise, which is not made very easy by the rules in place, especially for someone young without much work experience.

A visit is good, but in the end, the visa issue is what stops almost everyone who wants to relocate.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 1:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaun0h
...but I'm here on behalf of a friend who's considering moving here to the states.
On what basis is he planning to move to the states? Student, employment, marriage, investment?

I've sent him the information found on the wiki,
Which Wiki entry did you send him?

I just want to be the most help to him that I can, and I'm not really sure how to do that.
Unless you are his significant other of the opposite sex, and you two are in a relationship leading to marriage, there's not much YOU can do to help him. Unless you own your own company and want to hire him (and he qualifies for that job...unlikely), or unless you want to loan him enough to get an investment visa (around $500K).

I've provided him with the average costs of living in the area he's considering, tried to convince him to come here on holiday to experience what I can only imagine is a major culture shock, and overall trying to get him to talk through it, and what he really needs out of the process.
It's a good idea for him to come for a VWP visit, if he's never been to the USA before. But other than that, the other things you mentioned are putting the cart before the horse, because he will first have to see what type of visa he qualifies for in order to actually live full time in the USA.

I'm just not sure what will help him the most to make his decision, and help/tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Send him the Wiki Guide called "Pulaski's Ways...." and have him decide first which visa category he fits into. That's the absolute first place to start.

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2012, 2:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Studejt visa wouod be the obvious one in this case.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 3:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing would be for him to join and post himself. A lot gets lost in translation as they say.

Student visa is the best way though if he's got the money for it.

Would have suggested BUNAC or CampAmerica, but they're off the table right now.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Simple - apply for the "Finding Oneself" visa - sounds like a shoo-in.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

mancave3000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this a wind up?