Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help the Yank make fish and chips!

Help the Yank make fish and chips!

Old Nov 3rd 2013, 9:14 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Help the Yank make fish and chips!

Hello all! I went and bought a bunch of cod and potatoes to make fish and chips as a surprise for my husband. He gave me an alarmed look when I said I intended to fry them as I have deep-fried things all my life, in an open pan of hot oil. I got rushed out immediately to buy a proper fryer.

We have plenty of fish, the proper sort of potatoes (according to him), we're making a beer batter because he likes it, and we're using good fresh peanut oil to cook in (I won't use soya, rapeseed, or corn oils to deep fry, and the fryer manual says not to use shortening or lard without some very stupid extra precautions).

My main question is this. Since I have only one fryer, in which order should I make the fish and the chips? Should the fish hold warm while we fry the chips, or can we hold the chips warm while we fry the fish? What do you do at home?
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 9:36 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help the Yank make fish and chips!

Part do the chips, do the fish, hold it warm in the oven, finish the chips.

Don't forget the mushy peas.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
My main question is this. Since I have only one fryer, in which order should I make the fish and the chips? Should the fish hold warm while we fry the chips, or can we hold the chips warm while we fry the fish? What do you do at home?
good chips should be around 5/8" square in section.....
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:53 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

All went well thanks, took Mr. Weeze's advice, and I let him cut the chips We're stuffed lol!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all! I went and bought a bunch of cod and potatoes to make fish and chips as a surprise for my husband. He gave me an alarmed look when I said I intended to fry them as I have deep-fried things all my life, in an open pan of hot oil. I got rushed out immediately to buy a proper fryer.
what is his idea of a 'proper fryer' and how did it differ, in your opinion, to the use of an open pan of hot oil? The only 'special' thing we had as kids was a pan that had a close-fitting basket for removal of fried food when done. Much later, we got a fancier fryer that had a proper lid, with built-in filters, and such. Chips never tasted as good with the new device . I love home made chips (we also used to use lard )
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
.... later, we got a fancier fryer that had a proper lid, with built-in filters, and such. Chips never tasted as good with the new device . I love home made chips (we also used to use lard )
lidded deep fat fryers tend to steam them.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 10:39 am
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by Steerpike
what is his idea of a 'proper fryer' and how did it differ, in your opinion, to the use of an open pan of hot oil? The only 'special' thing we had as kids was a pan that had a close-fitting basket for removal of fried food when done. Much later, we got a fancier fryer that had a proper lid, with built-in filters, and such. Chips never tasted as good with the new device . I love home made chips (we also used to use lard )
One with a basket, thermostat, lid, and ready light. He said the old-fashioned pan was a fire hazard and he disliked them. We didn't leave the lid on all the way during frying though for just the reason steveq said.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

One with a basket, thermostat, lid, and ready light. He said the old-fashioned pan was a fire hazard and he disliked them. We didn't leave the lid on all the way during frying though for just the reason steveq said.
Clearly your DH is an aficianado....

The local fire service here is trying to "stamp out" the conventional chip pan fire - responsible for nearly 3000 serious fires a year.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

AilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond reputeAilsWallace has a reputation beyond repute

Damn! Now I have a hankering for a fish supper!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:29 pm
Mouthy Yank

The results (removed too-big photo): https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...58122468_o.jpg Homemade tartar sauce there; I hate the sweet gooey crap so I made a spicy, rich version with fresh lemon juice, sour cornichons, a few pickled jalapenos, shallots, and parsley

Last edited by Speedwell; Nov 4th 2013 at 2:34 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

The results (removed too-big photo): https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...58122468_o.jpg Homemade tartar sauce there; I hate the sweet gooey crap so I made a spicy, rich version with fresh lemon juice, sour cornichons, a few pickled jalapenos, shallots, and parsley

Well done that lady
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The chips look amazing! What kind of spuds did you get?

Around here, it's pretty much russets and that's about it at the moment. During the summer, there's the Maine spuds, which are a bit more white and less firm or the expensive red spuds.

One thing I miss is the battered sausages.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 3:30 pm
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by Bob
The chips look amazing! What kind of spuds did you get?

Around here, it's pretty much russets and that's about it at the moment. During the summer, there's the Maine spuds, which are a bit more white and less firm or the expensive red spuds.

One thing I miss is the battered sausages.
Some sort of rock-hard, medium-sized, smooth-skinned white potato that DH says is the kind the chip shops use, not a russet but a boiling potato type of thing. I got that kind totally by accident; the market was out of the gold kind he likes to get! He did mention battered sausages as the next thing he wants to make. I have a feeling the purchase of the fryer was of the same ilk as the age-old "buy the wife a power drill for Christmas" stunt.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Can I come round your house for dinner?
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:15 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

You can actually do a bunch of chips and part fry then freeze them. Double cooking is meant to be nicer anyway, can't say I've ever noticed the difference though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.