HELP wanted

Old Feb 1st 2004, 11:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles .... I think this is something that comes to many ex-pats eventually- the worry of elderly parents.
I guess that you're right, and it is now on my agenda too as my parents are getting older and my sister (my only sibling) is just about to leave the UK with her husband as he has just got an offer of a job in France.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 1:28 am
Franklin

Originally posted by Taffyles
I'm in a similar position PA- my mum is 73 and not in good health- also she lives on a hill which she can't climb anymore, so has to rely on friends or taxis to go anywhere. She lives in a Welsh mining valley- so all the neighbours look out for each other and help one another BUT it is a huge worry now. I only have a brother and he lives in Brazil and commutes to Africa, so she has no immediate family in the country. We;ve asked her to come and live with us many a time- although gawd knows what we'd do about medical costs/insurance for her. She wants to stay in the valley- she's grown up with her friends there and they have a ton of social events, trips etc She gets bored out of her mind in America. I will probably be changing my job to lower paid agency work just to be able to take time off when I need- I can see plenty of trips over to the UK coming up. I think this is something that comes to many ex-pats eventually- the worry of elderly parents.
Yes, a very real worry.

I am worried that I am inadvertently hijacking this topic and will reply under a new topic heading "Parents back home in blighty"

Old Feb 4th 2004, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

kimmer2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your mother will qualify for Medicare if she is a USC. She will have to pay for it. It is (I believe) at this point $335 a month for option A and $65 per month for Option B (and you pay a premium for every year over 65 that she is).
If you search the Medicare site, that information is there. She will have to be a USC, and have a SSN first tho'.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 7:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

or get them to look into long term care insurance
Old Feb 4th 2004, 8:50 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by kimmer2003
Your mother will qualify for Medicare if she is a USC. She will have to pay for it. It is (I believe) at this point $335 a month for option A and $65 per month for Option B (and you pay a premium for every year over 65 that she is).
If you search the Medicare site, that information is there. She will have to be a USC, and have a SSN first tho'.
Do you have the exact web page address for that page? Cheers.

kimmer2003> You are the man!!!!!!! That is such a relief. I had it in the back of my mind (from reading a Wallstreet Journal Article some two years or so back) that a GC holder over 65 would get access to Medicare if they are over 65. Thank you. I was so worried because everyone was saying NO. $335 a month we can live with. What a relief. She got her SSN a few weeks ago, just has to make the conversion to a USC.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Feb 4th 2004 at 9:10 pm.

Old Feb 18th 2004, 5:43 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Even part A & B DO NOT provide comprehensive coverage.

A medigap policy is strongly advised.

For those not yet eligible for Medicare - some states have guaranteed issue policies.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 1:58 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by lairdside
Even part A & B DO NOT provide comprehensive coverage.

A medigap policy is strongly advised.

For those not yet eligible for Medicare - some states have guaranteed issue policies.
Lairdside> Cheers. That's very usueful info. Thanks again.

PS You are a BIG Red Dwarf fan -> That's

Old Feb 19th 2004, 6:32 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Not exactly true I believe.

You can qualify for Medicare if you are a "lawfully admitted alien"who has been resident in the US for at least 5 years.

"Although the retirement age is rising, 65 remains as the starting date for Medicare eligibility. You will be eligible to apply for Medicare if you have paid into Social Security for at least 10 years or you are eligible to receive Social Security benefits on your spouse’s earnings. If you do not meet these requirements, you can still get Medicare hospital insurance (Part A) by paying a monthly premium if you are a citizen or a lawfully admitted alien who has lived in the U.S. for at least five years.

Also, anyone who is age 65 and a citizen or a lawfully admitted alien with five years of residency in the United States can sign up for Medicare Part B. Medical Insurance and pay a monthly premium."

NOTE: It says lawfully admitted alien - NOT lawful permanent resident.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:04 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
Lairdside> Cheers. That's very usueful info. Thanks again.

PS You are a BIG Red Dwarf fan -> That's
The second quote about naming the organisation always reminds me of the People's Front of Judea scene from the Life of Brian.

For those who don't have it memorised:

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/brian-07.htm