Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help Stranded Brits in NYC

Help Stranded Brits in NYC

Old Apr 20th 2010, 11:42 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help Stranded Brits in NYC

Please join us to help
Brits stranded in NYC

Even if its just so they can meet a friendly face over a beer or cup of tea!
================================================== =====

Still no news as to when British nationals and Europeans stranded in NYC can get home following the recent Volcano Ash situation, so we want to try to get everyone together to offer help. That could just be advice about New York or to meet some friendly faces (that's us) over a beer or cup of tea.

We will be listed in AM New York tomorrow morning and are in contact with radio one (Chris Moyles is stuck here too!), BBC and other local news sources to get the word out for Brits who are still stuck here to come and meet us.

We are asking you all to please come and join us to show how great our community is by doing the following:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WEDNESDAY APRIL 21st (Yes TOMORROW!)

6pm- Meet us with our helium balloons + Union Jack flag at Times Square (between 43rd & 44th).

7pm- join us and others for an impromptu drinks sesh upstairs at Slatterys Midtown pub to chat and offer any advice to those stranded Brits who do come along. We will also have laptops & wireless as we have heard many are finding it difficult to connect to friends/family back home.

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP US GET THE WORD OUT? By forwarding this mail to others, any media contacts you have, forums you belong to, social networking sites and also click on "share" on facebook , to share our posts on your profiles about the meetups tomorrow being posted here and our fb fan page here

We also started a discussion forum on BAB as another way to get in touch also here

We have a great community in NYC because of YOU all and we really want to try and do something if we can to help our fellow countrymen feel at home!

One stranded girl staying in a hostel on her own has already found us, so please help us do more.

================================================== =======

We look forward to seeing you soon
Best regards

The Big Apple Brits Team
[email protected]
http://www.bigapplebrits.com

N.B. I will most likely be going to this, if anyone wants to meet up
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:03 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Stranded Brits in NYC

N.B. I will most likely be going to this, if anyone wants to meet up[/QUOTE]

Sorry that made me laugh, after the plea, I think that most people here will be doing their bit if possible, I got a plea on Saturday from a Friend, who's Friend and business partner was stuck in New York with his family, I said we would put them up, so long as they understood we had just had a flood and where a bit grubby in the downstairs region (fanar, snix, snix)
They had since their first distress call on Sat am, and me answering on Sat Afternoon, found a hotel and quite rightly enjoying NY, they may not be feeling so happy today, but the offer is still open, as they on Sat they where meant to fly on Thursday, I imagine more delays longer waits???
We also have family stuck in WV luckily they where not flying til Sat, so they got advice and they have lost their internal flights and will pay again but get extra time with the Grandchildren
we also have a friend who arrived last Wednesday Scotland, and supposed to return to the US this Thursday, as Scottish Space has been open on and off I hope she is back here soon. and if she isn't I will reciprocate the message from My UK Friend with Friends stuck in NY to My Hubbies Scottish Relatives, this is a time to rally, it's not governmental fault it's a bleeding Volcano!
here endeth the message
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently last time this Volcano erupted, let's call it Fred for simplicity, it lasted for 2 years.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:07 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Apparently last time this Volcano erupted, let's call it Fred for simplicity, it lasted for 2 years.
Bloody hell! I an't having strangers for 2 years they can just go off! for coffee!