Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help regarding a move to San Diego/LA

Help regarding a move to San Diego/LA

Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Klevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really nice
Default Help regarding a move to San Diego/LA

I am a 50 year old married female. I am a qualified UK solicitor and a partner in a firm. I wish to move to Southern California with my husband. I am able to fund an EB5 but don't know how I can earn a living once I am there. As you can appreciate law doesn't travel well and at my age, requalifying really isn't an option. I have tried contacting business brokers but they are not interested until I have the visa. My husband is a flying instructor but such work is not easy to find. He can requalify.

I have all the attributes to run a business but need to forge a partnership with someone who has an established business who maybe would be interested in my qualifications.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help regarding a move to San Diego/LA

Hi...welcome to BE. I have moved your thread over to the US Immigration Forum...I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Klevy123
As you can appreciate law doesn't travel well and at my age, requalifying really isn't an option.
I'm curious as to why requalifying isn't an option. I'm 3 years into a PhD program and I turn 59 shortly... so I don't see age as an issue. Generally speaking, all you need to practice law in the US is to pass the state bar exam.

Ian
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm curious as to why requalifying isn't an option. I'm 3 years into a PhD program and I turn 59 shortly... so I don't see age as an issue. Generally speaking, all you need to practice law in the US is to pass the state bar exam.

Ian
Getting a job could be a problem...especially as there are many US lawyers out of work.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Klevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really niceKlevy123 is just really nice

It is hard to get a job as a lawyer in the US at the moment and to waste time requalifying may not be worth my while. I want to take life a bit easier over there and enjoy life but do want to have an income because in this economic climate one cannot reply on deriving much income from investments. I would also have to pay for the visa and hope that the investment I make is a good one!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Getting a job could be a problem...especially as there are many US lawyers out of work.
Perhaps, but a lawyer can always open his/her own office.

Ian
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Indeed but to open an Office you need a Client base or to have a means of getting Clients. The costs of opening an Office and the idemnity insurance is probhibitive for me.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

I want to take life a bit easier over there and enjoy life but do want to have an income because in this economic climate one cannot reply on deriving much income from investments.
Well, once you make the investment, you could work as a Walmart greeter if you want a bit of income. You're basically buying a green card... so you can work wherever or for whomever you want. You can open your own business if you prefer. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination and your desire not to requalify.

Have you considered what you're going to do about health insurance? For many, that's a show stopper!

Ian
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

That is why I would need some income. I think my fear is the obstacle I need to overcome. I have been settled with a reasonable income for a while but I do need to follow my dreams, otherwise I will live with regrets. Coming over for a month long holiday in June so you never know
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

We are both healthy, no pre-existing conditions, we thought the figure would be approximately $500 per month each. Does that sound about right?
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

SHe is 50!

So time to get the 40 quarters. I think Obamacare is purely income focussed rather than capital.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We are both healthy, no pre-existing conditions, we thought the figure would be approximately $500 per month each. Does that sound about right?

For an insurance premium? Sounds a bit low.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:48 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amazed that no one's asked you yet what kind(s) of law you're qualified to practice. Could make a big difference as to what you may or may not need in the way of an office and how to attract clients.

Regards, JEff

I am a qualified UK solicitor and a partner in a firm.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The following approximates health care insurance costs through the exchanges (private insurers will offer 3 different plans defined by the federal government) for people that do not have employer provided health insurance when health care reform kicks in January 2014. Under the new program, people with pre-existing conditions or develop health problems will not pay any more than healthy people. Families with incomes below 400% of the poverty level will get government subsidies to cover part of the cost (approximate amount is indicated by the calculator). The calculator only has options for a single person or a family of 4 so check both. The cost will likely be less than a family of 4 as well as 2 adults each calculated seperately.

http://healthreform.kff.org/SubsidyC...spx#calcParams

The calculator only goes up to 65 so if you plan to retire in the US, either of you will have to work 40 quarters (10 years) in the US before both of you to be eligible for Medicare without having to buy in. Only one spouse needs to work the 40 quarters for both to be eligible.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 26th 2013 at 8:26 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

LPR status is required for aliens to earn quarters.

It may take more than 10 years to accumulate 40 quarters - 10 years is the shortest amount of time it can take. Unless one can also qualifies to be credited with their spouse's or parents' quarters in addition to their own.

In this case there won't be any parents' quarters, but there could be spouse's quarters if both work?

Regards, JEff

1. Determining the qualifying work quarters for noncitizens
A. Qualifying quarters of work can only be credited to Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs). An LPR can work to get the quarters or receive credits from their spouse or parents. Qualified noncitizens who do not have their INS status adjusted to LPR must become one before they can get credits for the quarters of work.
B. To calculate qualifying work quarters, count the noncitizen's own work quarters, quarters worked by a parent when the noncitizen was under age 18 (including quarters worked before the noncitizen was born), and quarters worked by the noncitizen's spouse during their marriage. To get credit for a spouse's work quarters, the marriage must not have ended in divorce.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Michael
The calculator only goes up to 65 so if you plan to retire in the US, either of you will have to work 40 quarters (10 years) in the US before both of you to be eligible for Medicare without having to buy in. Only one spouse needs to work the 40 quarters for both to be eligible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.