Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help - Problem Renewing UK Passport from the US

Help - Problem Renewing UK Passport from the US

Old Nov 10th 2017, 10:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Problem Renewing UK Passport from the US

Surely if the form asks about different citizenship’s it must be answered truthfully. It’s an official government declaration form...so if you don’t answer truthfully...or conveniently forget...isn’t that an offence?

I can’t see what the problem is anyway...I sent a photocopy of my US PP.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Surely if the form asks about different citizenship’s it must be answered truthfully. It’s an official government declaration form...so if you don’t answer truthfully...or conveniently forget...isn’t that an offence?

I can’t see what the problem is anyway...I sent a photocopy of my US PP.
I think it actually asks for the passport itself, not a photocopy. Speaking purely personally, my passports are my only form of photo ID and in Australia you need photo ID for everything, even for drinking in a pub after 10pm. So there is no way I would be sending BOTH passports off to the UK, leaving myself with nothing. They don't need to know about my Aussie passport, its of no relevance to the renewal of my British ne, therefore they can whistle for it.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think it actually asks for the passport itself, not a photocopy. Speaking purely personally, my passports are my only form of photo ID and in Australia you need photo ID for everything, even for drinking in a pub after 10pm. So there is no way I would be sending BOTH passports off to the UK, leaving myself with nothing. They don't need to know about my Aussie passport, its of no relevance to the renewal of my British ne, thetrefore they can whistle for it.
True but a photocopy is acceptable...it is what I sent and many others do the same. USCs are legally required to enter and leave the US using a US passport...therefore having to send it away for what could be several weeks...means one cannot travel out of the US.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:14 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can be a citizen without having a passport.

If an applicant is concerned about telling porkies, maybe they should just feed their other passport into the garbage disposal, then tell the UK Passport Office that they don't have another passport. .... Or if they have flexible scruples they could skip the garbage disposal step.

FWIW I completely forgot to send a copy of my US passport, and still got my new British passport back less than two weeks later.
Was this after declaring that you had one? Or did you not mention it!

My preference would be not to mention it. My UK PP expired a year ago. I plan to renew it in 2/3 years, when my US one is 5 years old, just to spread the cost. But it is most likely not necessary.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Was this after declaring that you had one? Or did you not mention it!
I said that I was a US citizen, and knew that I was supposed to send a copy of my US passport, but then left the completed application lying around for about a year before snatching it up and send it off - forgetting that I had intended to get and include a copy of my US passport.

I only remembered that I had never included a copy of my US passport several months after I had received my new British passport.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I sent my daughter's application off without a colour photocopy of her US passport. No problems. Again - just forgot.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 3:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
True but a photocopy is acceptable...it is what I sent and many others do the same. USCs are legally required to enter and leave the US using a US passport...therefore having to send it away for what could be several weeks...means one cannot travel out of the US.
Same with Aus - need to enter and leave on an Aussie passport.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 3:19 am
Just Joined

mymontreal is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously I wish now I had never mentioned it, but I tried to be truthful and am now paying the price... pretty upset with myself... 😡

However, the damage is now done and I need to figure a way through this insane mess...

Totally shocked that I have to deal with this... I was born in UK, name on UK birth certificate is the same as on my just-expired UK passport, and they are refusing to renew it..

It’s insane to think that after 50 years, we don’t have lots of different docs with “very slight” differences in name... everybody has this!

What do they expect me to do, change my name on every single US and Canadian document, until it exactly matches the first, middle and last name on my UK passport...

Obviously I intend to fight this tooth and nail - I just have not yet figured out what my strategy should be...
Old Nov 12th 2017, 3:22 am
Just Joined

mymontreal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
Contact them, email is fine, and argue your case.

I had a similar issue with my daughter this year. Her Japanese name is different to her UK name as no middle names are allowed in Japan.

I argued the case that her UK birth certificate name matched her UK passport name, so they should renew it.

The case was escalated to a manager who then accepted that she has two legal names. They added a note in the UK passport as follows:

"The holder of this passport is also holder of japan passport in the name of NAME the passport expiry date DATE"

Look at my posts, or search, for my thread on my daughter's passport renewal.
Thanks - searching for your earlier posts now...!