Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help with the passport show -- which do I show and in what order?

Help with the passport show -- which do I show and in what order?

Old Nov 2nd 2016, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

srvince is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with the passport show -- which do I show and in what order?

Sorry for such a basic question, but I have seen conflicting information in other posts...can somebody clarify:

I have a USA and UK passport. I am going to travel from the US to the UK this January (and then return in March). How do I go about presenting passports to airports?

Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 7:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with the passport show -- which do I show and in what order?

If you are only going for three months just take your US passport. That is all I take for short trips back to the UK.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 7:14 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to use both, the only time you will present your UK passport is at immigration entering the UK. At all other times, use your US passport.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 8:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
If you are only going for three months just take your US passport. That is all I take for short trips back to the UK.
What 'e said.
Originally Posted by Wintersong
If you want to use both, the only time you will present your UK passport is at immigration entering the UK. At all other times, use your US passport.
What she said is also true.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
I did this last time and the line at immigration was very long with a US passport. I am hoping to sail through with the UK one.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 8:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srvince
I did this last time and the line at immigration was very long with a US passport. I am hoping to sail through with the UK one.
Which you can do, as noted by Wintersong. Use your US passport everywhere else.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

This is what we do. Often means avoiding long lines entering the UK, or any EU country.

This year we took a re-positioning cruise from Houston to Southampton, stopping at Liverpool where we met up with my wife's brother and wife for the day. The night before we arrived everyone that did not have a UK passport was given an appointment card to see UK border control officials who set up shop onboard ship in the morning. The rest of us were given a pass to leave the ship without standing in a huge long line to get a pass.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by durham_lad
This is what we do. Often means avoiding long lines entering the UK, or any EU country.

This year we took a re-positioning cruise from Houston to Southampton, stopping at Liverpool where we met up with my wife's brother and wife for the day. The night before we arrived everyone that did not have a UK passport was given an appointment card to see UK border control officials who set up shop onboard ship in the morning. The rest of us were given a pass to leave the ship without standing in a huge long line to get a pass.
Thanks. So when I check-in to the airport in San Francisco, I show my USA passport to the agent? Then when I arrive in Heathrow I show the UK passport?

And leaving Heathrow on the way back to the states I go with the USA passport?
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 9:24 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. So when I check-in to the airport in San Francisco, I show my USA passport to the agent? Then when I arrive in Heathrow I show the UK passport?

Ummmm... yes. Show your UK passport at immigration in the UK. At all other times, use your US passport.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmm... yes. Show your UK passport at immigration in the UK. At all other times, use your US passport.
Exactly.

I used to travel to Europe on business a lot and also used my UK passport to enter those countries as well, mostly Brussels as that was my business group's HQ.

ETA
I was traveling with my boss once from Amsterdam to Basel and when we changed planes at Frankfurt I sailed through the EU Passport only line but he was so long getting through the Other Passports line with his US passport that we missed our connection.

Last edited by durham_lad; Nov 2nd 2016 at 9:31 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 10:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Arriving at Heathrow the last two or three times, I've just walked right through using the automated passport reader thingy with my British passport. If I'd relied on my US passport, I'd be waiting in a massive line, looked like twenty minutes or more to wait .... and since my checked bag arrived on the carousel almost immediately, I was through customs and having my coffee and croissant at Caffe Nero fifteen minutes after deplaning. I can't see the point of relying on a foreign passport when I'm a British citizen.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Arriving at Heathrow the last two or three times, I've just walked right through using the automated passport reader thingy with my British passport.
Would those be the automated passport readers with the facial recognition system where the instructions say that you don't need to take of your glasses to use them, but which do not in fact work unless you do remove your glasses and possibly not even then? Lots of people were having trouble with them last time I went through LHR - I was very definitely not impressed.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by md95065
Would those be the automated passport readers with the facial recognition system where the instructions say that you don't need to take of your glasses to use them, but which do not in fact work unless you do remove your glasses and possibly not even then? Lots of people were having trouble with them last time I went through LHR - I was very definitely not impressed.
I renewed my British Passport this year and even though the instructions say that you can wear clear reading glasses I decided not to wear my glasses as I've had trouble in the past with automated passport readers in the USA. (Never been through the ones at LHR or LGW as we always avoid London when we fly in, and usually arrive into Manchester or Durham Tees Valley)
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but be aware that if you're going to do this, make sure you always have both passports handy in case you are ever asked to produce the other one. A couple of times when exiting the UK on my foreign passport, I was asked why it didn't have a UK entry stamp. I explained that I had used my UK passport to enter the UK. I was then asked to show it.

I usually just use my US passport for the entire trip but I normally go through Dublin or Manchester where I have not encountered long non-EU lines.