Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help with obtaining a driving licence in Virginia.

Help with obtaining a driving licence in Virginia.

Old Feb 27th 2016, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

CorinnaCrackles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with obtaining a driving licence in Virginia.

Hi there,
I finally received my I-797C Notice of action in the mail for my I-485 application and according to the below link, this is an acceptable documentation for getting my driver's licence.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/...doc_status.pdf

However in this other link it explains I need something from the "primary documents" list as well. Which I don't have any of. VERY CONFUSED

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv141.pdf

Can someone help me out and give me a definitive list of docs I need. When I phoned the DMV they just kept saying you'll need proof of legal residency, they were rude and unhelpful.

Hoping someone on here can look at these and make sense of them.

Many Thanks,
Cori
Old Feb 27th 2016, 2:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with obtaining a driving licence in Virginia.

Originally Posted by CorinnaCrackles

However in this other link it explains I need something from the "primary documents" list as well. Which I don't have any of. VERY CONFUSED

Don't you have the "unexpired foreign passport with either one listed below" from the primary list?
Old Feb 27th 2016, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Don't you have the "unexpired foreign passport with either one listed below" from the primary list?
Oh dear. That's embarrassing...How did I not see that?!?!?! I thought I'd read it thoroughly...Obviously not...I think I just read it as US passport. (idiot)

So in that case. My passport and my notice should be enough. Along with my SSN and marriage certificate.

Would you say?

Thanks Nutmegger
Old Feb 27th 2016, 3:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear. That's embarrassing...How did I not see that?!?!?! I thought I'd read it thoroughly...Obviously not...I think I just read it as US passport. (idiot)

So in that case. My passport and my notice should be enough. Along with my SSN and marriage certificate.

Would you say?

Thanks Nutmegger
Do you have something from the list to prove your residency at your address? Is your name on any of your utility bills, for instance?
Old Feb 27th 2016, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

No that's what's partly worrying me!
I have my address on the thing uscis sent me. But I don't pay any bills right now as we are living with his parents atm
Old Feb 27th 2016, 11:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No that's what's partly worrying me!
I have my address on the thing uscis sent me. But I don't pay any bills right now as we are living with his parents atm
I don't know if it'll be accepted up there, but what I had before any utility bills had come was send myself a letter, which is federal and enough proof of residence at an address to get a local library card which had my address and this library card was accepted as proof of address.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
to get a local library card which had my address and this library card was accepted as proof of address.
That's a really good idea. Didn't think of that.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Just to say I passed yay!
Thanks everyone for the help.
They were very strict about the residency proof. Wouldn't accept library card and I had to go and open up a bank account. And even once I got a statement from the bank printed they were like this hasn't actually been mailed to you so we can't use it. I begged and begged and in the end they accepted that and my homeland security letter.

My father in law says they are strict in VA because the terrorists who supposedly conducted 9.11 had VA driving licences.

I was in the DMV all day but it was worth it!

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP
Old Mar 5th 2016, 2:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Congrats on getting your license. Enjoy the freedom of being able to drive!
Old Mar 5th 2016, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Just one step closer to feeling like a normal human being here ha.