Reload this Page >

Help needed for Brits relocating to LA

Help needed for Brits relocating to LA

Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:15 am
Looking for tax advice!

Vanes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help needed for Brits relocating to LA

Originally Posted by RickWG
My morning commute in LA is 50 miles, takes about 45 minutes. Apparently I live in the right part, up the hill

As for the OP's asking about Santa Monica:

There are approx 300,000 Brit ex pats living in California, with the exception of maybe 6 of us, all the others seem to live in Santa Monica. As you're from Pompey you'l understand this: It's like Southampton, but with scouse accents...
LOL point taken, Southampton accents are bad enough! Santa Monica wouldnt be for us anyway, I think from what we have seen and heard we prefer a little more north! What about the Pacific Palisades?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanes
I appreciate this probably doesn’t work without the Visa but I am sure well find a way around this if LA is the place we finally want to move to....
Don't be so sure. It isn't that easy. Spend a few mins reading the visa forum, it might save yourself a lot of time and hassle.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:21 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate this probably doesn’t work without the Visa but I am sure well find a way around this if LA is the place we finally want to move to. Plus it would be like saving for a car we’ve never driven..... I would rather get to know the areas first, see what they are like then once we have definitely decided that LA is for us then we can exhaust the Visa situation. But I am aware and take on board your advice that it is not as straight forward as the UK. All you have to do here is seek asylum and not only are you fine, they give you all the benefits you could ever dream of....
You really are putting the cart before the horse here. There is a way you could get round the visa situation - although washing dishes for cash-in-hand isn't the best way to pay for private schooling.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 3:41 pm
Looking for tax advice!

Originally Posted by tonrob
You really are putting the cart before the horse here. There is a way you could get round the visa situation - although washing dishes for cash-in-hand isn't the best way to pay for private schooling.
LOL, sometimes you just have to.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 3:42 pm
Looking for tax advice!

Do you mind if I ask how you guys qualified??
Old Dec 1st 2010, 3:47 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate this probably doesn’t work without the Visa but I am sure well find a way around this if LA is the place we finally want to move to. Plus it would be like saving for a car we’ve never driven..... I would rather get to know the areas first, see what they are like then once we have definitely decided that LA is for us then we can exhaust the Visa situation. But I am aware and take on board your advice that it is not as straight forward as the UK. All you have to do here is seek asylum and not only are you fine, they give you all the benefits you could ever dream of....
Are you sure you don't fancy Australia?

Many have married a USC, some are company transfers within large international companies (L visas), a few are highly skilled workers with various degrees and experience (H Visas).
Old Dec 1st 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Cape Blue;9014986]Are you sure you don't fancy Australia?
[QUOTE]

Funking hard to get there by boat!
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read the link given to you in post 5? There arent 'ways around it,' you cant 'do it another way' you really need to sort the Visa then ask the questions.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:20 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, me and my young family (wife to be, two daughters, 5 years and 7 months) are seriously considering relocating to LA over the next year or two and would love to hear from other Brits and US residents as to the locations we should consider. We have in mind Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Venice & Malibu. Schools are very important for us as is the out door way of life and the sea as well as the safety aspect. Love eating out in great places and like to be very near the areas where everything happens.

We are also out in LA as of the 10th Decemeber for two and a bit weeks and would love to get to see as much of these areas a possible. Anyone suggest a great hotel/area?

Hope you can help guys.

Best wishes

Alvin
Alvin:

I live in "Los Feliz" -- 90027 adjacent to Griffith Park. On the other side of I-5 is the "Atwater" [90039] neighborhood between the I-5 and Glendale. I find them to be quite "walkable."

I used to live in Hermosa Beach in the "South Bay" and I stayed there only a year. I moved to Echo Park [90026] and have been in 90027 since 1984.

Also, look at the Pasadena area [San Gabriel valley].

On schools, you have to live here for a while to rationally discuss it. There are a plethora of programs. And, if you end up in "Los Angeles Unified School District," it bears in mind that LAUSD is huge and varied. [The "unified" refers to the fact it is "K-12" rather than separate elementary & secondary districts]. LAUSD has "open enrollment" and has "Charter Schools" etc etc.

I saw a mention of zillow.com -- it is an interesting site.

If you have not noticed, it is not uncommon to use postal ZIP codes to locate areas. As a general rule, 900xx is for "Los Angeles" -- but the numbers are not necessarily adjacent -- 90024 & 90025 is the "Westwood" and UCLA area while 90026 is Echo Park and 90027, 90028 are the "Hollywood" codes -- but 90038 is "Silver Lake" between 90026 and 90027. IOW, enter the ZIP code into a map program to find things.

Good luck.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Dec 1st 2010 at 4:27 pm. Reason: ZIP code discussion
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceym
Did you read the link given to you in post 5? There arent 'ways around it,' you cant 'do it another way' you really need to sort the Visa then ask the questions.
It’s not uncommon (from my experience on this forum) for poms to think it’s (should be as a matter of fact) relatively easy to get into US. This perhaps is because their claim on how easy it is for EU nationals & easy (comparatively) for non EU nationals to get into UK

Learning US immigration is a rude shock though and the OP needs to consider the visa situation first. I mean good for the forum everyone sharing information but honestly little waste of time, with due respect, without the VISA situation first looked into.

“we will figure it out, we will work around it” – not US immigration for sure. It usually is, do you qualify for a visa or not. No "working around" US visas.

Last edited by E3only; Dec 1st 2010 at 5:42 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 4:56 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, but it won't do you any good: UK citizen, drawn in DV2000, consular processed in Prague, entered on immigrant visa and became permanent resident, naturalized as US citizen 2006.

Do the visa first. Everything else is just dreamin'.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 5:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
I mean good for the forum everyone sharing information but honestly little waste of time
Unfortunately, I have to agree with that.. it used to be a little different.. if someone went to the bother of composing a decent answer, even to a hypothetical question, it was useful to future readers because netiquette dictated that one search for information/previous posts before asking their own question. The effort of contributing one's knowledge was worthwhile, of use.
Now I've got a picture of someone with their fingers in their ears giving it "la la la la" and all those good thoughts just getting scrolled back into the ether....
Old Dec 1st 2010, 5:42 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Married a yank.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=E3only;9015080]Are you sure you don't fancy Australia?

I think he's referring to the guy slotting straight into the Barbie mindset.

Aargh I can't fix your quote

Last edited by Sally Redux; Dec 1st 2010 at 7:47 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 7:57 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think he's referring to the guy slotting straight into the Barbie mindset.

Aargh I can't fix your quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.