British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Help needed for Brits relocating to LA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-needed-brits-relocating-la-695159/)

Vanes Nov 29th 2010 9:27 am

Help needed for Brits relocating to LA

Hi guys, me and my young family (wife to be, two daughters, 5 years and 7 months) are seriously considering relocating to LA over the next year or two and would love to hear from other Brits and US residents as to the locations we should consider. We have in mind Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Venice & Malibu. Schools are very important for us as is the out door way of life and the sea as well as the safety aspect. Love eating out in great places and like to be very near the areas where everything happens.

We are also out in LA as of the 10th Decemeber for two and a bit weeks and would love to get to see as much of these areas a possible. Anyone suggest a great hotel/area?

Hope you can help guys.

Best wishes

Alvin

elfman Nov 29th 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Help needed for Brits relocating to LA

Originally Posted by Vanes (Post 9010037)
Hi guys, me and my young family (wife to be, two daughters, 5 years and 7 months) are seriously considering relocating to LA over the next year or two and would love to hear from other Brits and US residents as to the locations we should consider. We have in mind Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Venice & Malibu. Schools are very important for us as is the out door way of life and the sea as well as the safety aspect. Love eating out in great places and like to be very near the areas where everything happens.

We are also out in LA as of the 10th Decemeber for two and a bit weeks and would love to get to see as much of these areas a possible. Anyone suggest a great hotel/area?

Hope you can help guys.

the first thing people will want to know before offering any help or advice is which visa you intend to use to move your family over here.

Vanes Nov 29th 2010 12:30 pm

Now theres a difficult one. I am trying to get a business off of the ground which will be US based and hopefully will qualify for the $turnover bracket but would love to hear any convenient/affordable options anyone has lol.

E3only Nov 29th 2010 6:29 pm

Experts will correct me if I am wrong (and I know you say ‘would be’) – you will need to be married so that your wife can accompany you. Although I also there is there B2 cohabitating visa.

Noorah101 Nov 29th 2010 6:36 pm

Need to start reading here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898

And yes, E3only is correct...the immigration process will be MUCH easier if you are married.

Rene

N1cky Nov 29th 2010 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Vanes (Post 9010037)

Hope you can help guys.

Best wishes

Alvin

What has made you decide you want to live in LA, if you are planning on setting up your own business presumably you have all the US to choose from.

The areas you mention are some of the most expensive places to live in LA, presumably with 2 kids you are going to want a house, you will be looking at an absolute mimimum of $3k to be in Santa Monica, and we aren't talking beach/restaurant walking area, you'll be on the freeway for that price. Also they are very touristy so the restaurants are always packed and expensive and to be honest, not very good. Most are chain restaurants, independents are quite hard to find and when you do they are crazy prices.

The beaches are extremely busy all through the summer, and it gets too hot for hiking/bike riding... from around May through September.

Check out Great Schools for school reports.

Also, PLEASE remember if you move out here it won't be like your upcoming vacation. Living in LA and visiting are 2 totally different things. Lots of things you will do in LA are once or twice events it caters to the tourist. Not many things you will want to do again.

Choosing a hotel will depend entirely on what you want to see while in LA.

E3only Nov 29th 2010 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9011183)
Also, PLEASE remember if you move out here it won't be like your upcoming vacation. Living in LA and visiting are 2 totally different things. Lots of things you will do in LA are once or twice events it caters to the tourist. Not many things you will want to do again.

Totally. I visited a good 3-4 times before I made up my mind to move. It really is different than visiting where all you see is nice beaches, food, shopping, Studios and Disney land. And then you move and you have to spend 1 hour in traffic to go a piss length away on 405!

I am guessing we are also talking about substantial investment for business related visa?

Sally Redux Nov 29th 2010 8:53 pm

Nicky took the words out of my mouth, you are looking at 4 of the most expensive places to live that I could think of.

N1cky Nov 29th 2010 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 9011219)
Totally. I visited a good 3-4 times before I made up my mind to move. It really is different than visiting where all you see is nice beaches, food, shopping, Studios and Disney land. And then you move and you have to spend 1 hour in traffic to go a piss length away on 405!

I am guessing we are also talking about substantial investment for business related visa?

I was smiling to myself in the car at the weekend, I went to a mall 11 miles away it took me 15 minutes. I've got so used to 11 miles taking 40 minutes in LA.

E3only Nov 29th 2010 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9011244)
I was smiling to myself in the car at the weekend, I went to a mall 11 miles away it took me 15 minutes. I've got so used to 11 miles taking 40 minutes in LA.

Never fails to amuse me even on later afternoon Sunday 405 is busy!

Jerseygirl Nov 29th 2010 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9011183)
What has made you decide you want to live in LA, if you are planning on setting up your own business presumably you have all the US to choose from.

The areas you mention are some of the most expensive places to live in LA, presumably with 2 kids you are going to want a house, you will be looking at an absolute mimimum of $3k to be in Santa Monica, and we aren't talking beach/restaurant walking area, you'll be on the freeway for that price. Also they are very touristy so the restaurants are always packed and expensive and to be honest, not very good. Most are chain restaurants, independents are quite hard to find and when you do they are crazy prices.

The beaches are extremely busy all through the summer, and it gets too hot for hiking/bike riding... from around May through September.

Check out Great Schools for school reports.

Nicky...where does $3K fit into things?

Bob Nov 29th 2010 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9011286)

rent a month...

E3only Nov 29th 2010 10:16 pm

Culver City around that – 2 bedroom smallish place (condo) = 1,900pm rent. Just FYI.

This is probably 15 mins away from Santa Monica so I won’t be surprised at a 3k rent closer to the beach (not water facing of course!)

Sally Redux Nov 29th 2010 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 9011393)
Culver City around that – 2 bedroom smallish place (condo) = 1,900pm rent. Just FYI.

This is probably 15 mins away from Santa Monica so I won’t be surprised at a 3k rent closer to the beach (not water facing of course!)

Culver City is not a bad affordable option, we knew a British family living there, they've moved back now though. Anyway, it is fairly pleasant and has its own school district.

However, this is kind of pie in the sky until the family know what/where the business will be and whether they are successful with the visa application.

N1cky Nov 29th 2010 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9011286)

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9011294)
rent a month...

Thanks Bob, Sorry I wasn't very clear was I. I knew what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9011413)
Culver City is not a bad affordable option, we knew a British family living there, they've moved back now though. Anyway, it is fairly pleasant and has its own school district.

However, this is kind of pie in the sky until the family know what/where the business will be and whether they are successful with the visa application.

Does Culver City fit with the outside life they want? I've only ever been to the mall there. I suppose its a reasonable drive down to the coast from there.