Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help me get a US credit card

Help me get a US credit card

Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:06 am
Just Joined

alhanson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help me get a US credit card

It seems you need a SSN to get a US-based credit card.

I haven't an SSN, & don't qualify for one being a retired Brit living in Florida 6 months a year, & don't want one anyway.

But I do want a US-based credit card, having had too many problems using my UK-based one.

Does anyone know if an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) can be used as an SSN for credit card application purposes?

Last edited by alhanson; Jan 17th 2004 at 4:17 am.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:53 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help me get a US credit card

Originally posted by alhanson

I haven't an SSN, & don't qualify for one being a retired Brit living in Florida 6 months a year, & don't want one anyway.

But I do want a US-based credit card, having had too many problems using my UK-based one.

Does anyone know if an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) can be used as an SSN for credit card application purposes?
Will be suprised if you get one without SSN. You could try offshore banks but don't be shocked if they ask for SSN. do you happen to own property in florida?

SSN is precious than oxygen. long way out is to get F1 student visa and you'll get a SSN. all the best
Old Jan 17th 2004, 7:14 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

No company will give you a credit card without a SSN...and rightly so.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:14 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tony_2003
Well I got one without an SSN from Huntingdon bank about 6 years ago it did take 40 emails and 15 letters to the CEO but in the end. I just think they wanted me off their back..Shortly after I got it, the bank did move out of the State..hope it was nothing I said...Still use the card today...
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by ray6
Well I got one without an SSN from Huntingdon bank about 6 years ago it did take 40 emails and 15 letters to the CEO but in the end. I just think they wanted me off their back..Shortly after I got it, the bank did move out of the State..hope it was nothing I said...Still use the card today...
Thanks for your input Ray, stupid thing is I had a US Citibank a/c & credit card from 1992 to 1999, no-one had sought a SSN for either, but gave up both as part of a divorce settlement.

Then went back to the same bank, same branch in 2001, they happily set up a new bank account, but not a credit card without a SSN.

Everything seems much harsher since 9/11; I do sympathise, understand & appreciate the reasons, but feel irritated nevertheless that
(a) it took 9/11 for the Americans to grasp what terrorism is about,
(b) they have put on a great "show" of dealing with it without tackling the causes, &
(c) I have never heard any American (individual I mean, am not so naive as to expect this from any official) connect their financial support of the IRA & various right-wing S American groups with terrorism.

Anyway, I have worked around all the obstacles except for this one
Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

OK Tony, you seem very positive with your " ... and rightly so." Perhaps you can help me (and Citibank) by explaining why?

Citibank have told me
(a) they cannot process my application for a credit card because I do not have a SSN, &
(b) they do not know why I need an SSN.
This last point is important because if I can show the SSA why under "Federal Law" I need an SSN, the SSA may issue me one. But they need definitive evidence that an SSN is required by law for a credit card, & so far, it's not there.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:21 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Surely banks are allowed to have their own policy on who they do and don't give a credit card to? A lot of banks have introduced new policies after the introduction of The Patriot Act.

But if you say you're entitled to a SSN why don't you get one and get round it that way?
Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by sibsie
Surely banks are allowed to have their own policy on who they do and don't give a credit card to? A lot of banks have introduced new policies after the introduction of The Patriot Act.

But if you say you're entitled to a SSN why don't you get one and get round it that way?
No, I'm NOT entitled to one unless I can demonstrate it is the law which demands I have one for the issue of a credit card.

So far I cannot show the LAW demands it, only that credit card companies demand it, presumably for their own convenience.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:43 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Then went back to the same bank, same branch in 2001, they happily set up a new bank account, but not a credit card without a SSN.
Would the bank give you a visa/mastercard debit card? All the benefits of use of a credit card. Of course you would have to have the money in your bank account to cover your purchases, but if you are retired, surely that shouldn't be a problem.

Just a thought.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by ScousePete
Would the bank give you a visa/mastercard debit card? All the benefits of use of a credit card. Of course you would have to have the money in your bank account to cover your purchases, but if you are retired, surely that shouldn't be a problem.

Just a thought.
Not sure.

Unfortunately debit cards are not suitable for all purposes; my main use of it would be for internet purchases, & some of these insist on a credit card which also gives me greater protection than a debit card.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:51 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a quick chat with my investment advisor in the US. He said there is a law that requires banks to have a SSN to issue credit cards such as mastercard. He said he'll have a look when he's got time and let me know what it is. I'm not sure that would be grounds alone to give someone a SSN else we'd all be doing it! I don't know that the SSA would view a credit card as a reasonable benefit or service.

I've seen those prepaid "credit cards" in the US, the ones you top up yourself a bit like mobile phones. Wouldn't one of those do? Why does it have to be a US issued card?
Old Jan 17th 2004, 5:24 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

OK Tony, you seem very positive with your " ... and rightly so." Perhaps you can help me (and Citibank) by explaining why?

Citibank have told me
(a) they cannot process my application for a credit card because I do not have a SSN, &
(b) they do not know why I need an SSN.
This last point is important because if I can show the SSA why under "Federal Law" I need an SSN, the SSA may issue me one. But they need definitive evidence that an SSN is required by law for a credit card, & so far, it's not there.
Try another bank. I'm not saying you shouldn’t be given a SSN, I'm not saying you should either, I don't know enough about your situation. A SSN makes you slightly more legit and easier to check out, because it means you have been checked properly by the INS...anyone could start coming in on holiday getting cards and running up debts then buggering off back to the UK. It's a safety precaution. I think any bank would be stupid to offer a card without a SSN, but that's my opinion. Yes probably these rules have been implemented since 911...I agree with them though.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 2:50 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>
I'm really curious as to why are so keen to get a US issued credit card. What kind of problems have you had using a UK based one?

Not having a SSN is not the only reason why you haven't been issued a credit card in the US.

I am a legal (conditional) permanent resident in the US with a SSN but I still can't get a US credit card. You know why?

I don't have a credit history in the US. It's still very "immature" and for that reason I've been turned down on the one occasion I applied for one (throught the same credit card provider whom I have a secondary credit card through my husband. He is the account holder and I have a card through him. Ironic, isn't it?)

I fulfill all the other criteria for obtaining a credit card now (I have a job, have other lines of credit that will show up on my credit report).

If I'm not mistaken, you're not a legal resident of the US so that's why you're not entitled to a SSN. I'm afraid I don't know if you'd be entiteld to an ITIN either.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
..... If I'm not mistaken, you're not a legal resident of the US so that's why you're not entitled to a SSN. I'm afraid I don't know if you'd be entiteld to an ITIN either. ....
Anyone can get a TIN - whether a US resident (legal or otherwise), or not. you just have to ask for one.

It is a bone of contention within the federal government that the Treasury Department hands out TINs on demand, and they keep all the related taxpayer records - including, of course, names and addresses. This means that within the federal government's computers there are already the names and addresses of millions of illegal aliens who pay their taxes on a TIN not a SSN. The INS has asked again and again for access to the Treasury's databases, but has consitstently been denied.

Try another bank. ...... I think any bank would be stupid to offer a card without a SSN, but that's my opinion. ......
Banks do not give out credit to anyone without a SSN* because credit bureaux maintain credit histories by SSN. So if you don't have, or don't disclose, a SSN the bank has no means of checking whether you have a credit history, or what it is like.

Sorry no SSN, no credit!

*I'm not sure if a TIN works or not. As a TIN looks like a SSN it might, and your credit records would eventually show up against it, but I can't be sure.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 18th 2004 at 10:44 am.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I'm really curious as to why are so keen to get a US issued credit card. What kind of problems have you had using a UK based one?

Not having a SSN is not the only reason why you haven't been issued a credit card in the US.

I am a legal (conditional) permanent resident in the US with a SSN but I still can't get a US credit card. You know why?

I don't have a credit history in the US. It's still very "immature" and for that reason I've been turned down on the one occasion I applied for one (throught the same credit card provider whom I have a secondary credit card through my husband. He is the account holder and I have a card through him. Ironic, isn't it?)

I fulfill all the other criteria for obtaining a credit card now (I have a job, have other lines of credit that will show up on my credit report).

If I'm not mistaken, you're not a legal resident of the US so that's why you're not entitled to a SSN. I'm afraid I don't know if you'd be entiteld to an ITIN either.
NC Penguin
I'm keen to get a US-based credit card for 3 main reasons:
1. Last year I used my UK-based credit card to pay for a cruise through Expedia with a famous cruise company, via the internet. We received written snail-mail confirmation. Just an hour before we left home for the port I checked my e-mails to find our booking had been cancelled "because you (sic) used a 'foreign' credit card from a US address." When I called them to point out my credit card billing address was the same as the US address, they "could not help" & by the time the matter was resolved, we could no longer go. Note this happened with Expedia & a cruise company well-used to dealing with foreigners.
2. Numerous internet purchases are voided because many US companies will not send abroad, & their software assumes a 'foreign' credit card will require the product to be sent abroad. It is especially annoying when this happens but the company does not tell you until you start to enquire why the product hasn't been delivered.
3.It is just ridiculous having US to US transactions in US $ going through the UK & being converted to £.

I can't comment on your situation, but I had & used a US-issued Citibank Visa Gold card from 1992 to 1999 without any problems.

I am a legal US resident, but having never worked in the US I have no claim on the Social Service Administration here, hence quite rightly they will not give me an SSN.

Incidentally, I would be happy with a secured credit card, ie I deposit say $2000 with the card company & they allow me a credit limit of $2000; such arrangements exist, but I still need an SSN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.