Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help with LA - please

Help with LA - please

Old Jan 20th 2004, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default Help with LA - please

We have decided to do a 3 night stop over in LA so I can go to Six flags magic Mountain, we fly out in the middle of Feb. And now am frightened to death by people who have been to LA before and say it's really rough and not to go out of the hotel after 9pm.

We are staying in Beverly Hills on Wilshire drive and hope to do universal one day and Six flags the next but in the evening have no plans.

We are not hiring a car and hope to get a bus or taxi to the theme parks, can we do this ?

Any good places to eat fancy a diner style is possible. Or a nice restuarant is cool and within safe walking distance ?

I hope you can help

Thanks

Carrianne
Old Jan 20th 2004, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

FL2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with LA - please

Originally posted by Carrianne
We have decided to do a 3 night stop over in LA so I can go to Six flags magic Mountain, we fly out in the middle of Feb. And now am frightened to death by people who have been to LA before and say it's really rough and not to go out of the hotel after 9pm.

We are staying in Beverly Hills on Wilshire drive and hope to do universal one day and Six flags the next but in the evening have no plans.

We are not hiring a car and hope to get a bus or taxi to the theme parks, can we do this ?

Any good places to eat fancy a diner style is possible. Or a nice restuarant is cool and within safe walking distance ?

I hope you can help

Thanks

Carrianne
There are no buses in LA in the UK sense of the word. You will have to rent a car and i 110% recommend you do. Beverly hills is about 20-30 miles from the theme parks and a taxi probably wouldn't even take you there-too expensive.
Rent a car from an off airport lot and you can get one for $20 a day. You will also need to spend at least the whole day at the theme parks...the are HUGE!!!!!

Get a car, you'll be much happier
Old Jan 20th 2004, 6:13 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

When I read the title I thought Arnold Swarzenegger had signed up for our board
Old Jan 21st 2004, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough
Talking

Don't venture out past 9 without a vest. Bad people are outside these days with guns just waiting for you. From 10pm to 10:30 all cops go on breaks, so that's when they all come out totally shooting. Avoid this time and try to hide in the bathroom if you're out in la.

-= nav =-
Old Jan 24th 2004, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

ireland132 is an unknown quantity at this point

LA is a great city. I've been living here for 4 months with my wife and our now 11 week old baby. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Yes, there are bad areas, but you will not see nor go near them.

You really want to get a car though. The phrase "walking distance" is not really heard in LA. Driving and parking is very straightforward.

You can get a all-in-bus tour to Universal through

lacitytours.com

but it would be easier and cheaper to hire a car. If you are travelling in from the airport, the price of a cab would easily cover a day's hire of a car.

I recommend

holidayautos.co.uk

for good all-in rates

If you want a fun diner experience (a little touristy but good) go to

Mel's Diner 8585 West Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood

It's inspired by the diner in the movie American Graffiti.

Go online to check out restaurants near you or Time Out and Rough Guides are excellent too.

Loads of great mexican food in LA too.

Have fun.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you can help

Thanks

Carrianne
If your going to Magic Mountain, I hope you brought some good walking shoes. They don't call it Magic Mountain for nothing. It's enormous, and you'll be walking up at an almost 80 degree angle at times.

The Disney parks are cool, as is Universal. I walked around in Orange county after midnight without any trouble, though I haven't tried that in LA, nor would I. I also recommend Knotts Berry Farm. It's not as big as the Mountain, but it has some really good roller coasters, including Ghostrider, one of the best wooden coasters in the world. Have fun!!!

Last edited by Jabba1; Jan 24th 2004 at 7:29 am.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Help with LA - please

if you're in la for 3 days -- go to disneyland/california adventure. Dont' waste your time on the rest of la until u at LEAST go to disney!

-= nav =-
Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:39 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

I hope you can help

Thanks

Carrianne
Don't even think of doing it without hiring a car. That's for your own convenience, the distances involved make it a must. Amazing innit, all these folks tell you areas to avoid....one wonders if that's personal experience, or hearsay and conjecture. Go forth and enjoy, you will have an ace time.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

I've been living in LA with my US wife for four months now and have got to say I've never once felt threatened on the streets. The crime rate really is going down and if you check out the LAPD website and compare with London Met, you see that America, even the big cities, aren't as dangerous as you'd think. Really, stick to areas with street lighting and don't be stupid and there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

As for Magic Mountain, it's a great place, and the lines are non-existant in February, especially midweek. But definately hire a car...rental is dirt cheap and public transport a nightmare.

James