Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help with getting home

Help with getting home

Old Nov 9th 2023, 5:53 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 114
Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with getting home

Does anyone know of any government assistance that might be available for expats who want to return? Assume the expat is officially a visa overstayer and the marriage has imploded. Yes reporting themselves as illegal would do it but their dogs wouldnt be deported alongside them so its a no-go.
Kevrev is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 5:59 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,033
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by Kevrev
Does anyone know of any government assistance that might be available for expats who want to return? Assume the expat is officially a visa overstayer and the marriage has imploded. Yes reporting themselves as illegal would do it but their dogs wouldnt be deported alongside them so it's a no-go.
Just to be clear, this person is a UK citizen? How long has this person overstayed? Any friends/family that could help out with an airline ticket and getting the dogs back?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 6:04 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 114
Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just to be clear, this person is a UK citizen? How long has this person overstayed? Any friends/family that could help out with an airline ticket and getting the dogs back?
Yes, British citezen. 7 years. Its a lot of money to ship the dogs, around 13K. No family help available. British embassy are as usefull as a chocolate fireguard
Kevrev is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 6:09 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 9,660
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by Kevrev
Yes, British citezen. 7 years. Its a lot of money to ship the dogs, around 13K. No family help available. British embassy are as usefull as a chocolate fireguard
Why the heck should the British taxpayer pay for your return to the UK and, in addition, pay for your dogs shipment.....?

Sheesh......
SanDiegogirl is online now  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 6:11 pm
  #5  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,033
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by Kevrev
Yes, British citezen. 7 years. Its a lot of money to ship the dogs, around 13K. No family help available. British embassy are as usefull as a chocolate fireguard
I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but heading back to the UK doesn't sound like a well thought out plan if you want to keep your dogs. I'm assuming it must be a lot of dogs for that amount of money, so where will you live when you get back to the UK if you don't have any family or friends that can help?

Is there any way to legalise your status in the US instead? What happened to the green card application, did you just never do it or did it just not finalise?

Do you have a current British passport? The British embassy may be able to help you get back but as you say, wouldn't help with the dogs. It may be worth contacting animal welfare charities but I suspect they'll suggest helping to rehome the dogs as they won't be able to afford the £13k either. Perhaps you could look at setting up a GoFundMe? That may help for at least some of it.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 6:23 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 9,660
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

The British embassy may be able to help you get back but as you say, wouldn't help with the dogs..
Why should it? The guy can work for his ticket back and for the shipment of the dogs if he is so insistent to get them back -- one of his earlier posts said he had 10 dogs !!
The British embassy is there for people in serious and immediate situations..... not for deadbeats........

Have you seen what he called a social services worker when she refused him jobseekers allowance some years ago....? Says it all......
SanDiegogirl is online now  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 7:20 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 1,121
Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Why the heck should the British taxpayer pay for your return to the UK and, in addition, pay for your dogs shipment.....?

Sheesh......
It's called "entitlement".
Finknottle is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 7:34 pm
  #8  
Home and Happy
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,814
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Why should it? The guy can work for his ticket back and for the shipment of the dogs if he is so insistent to get them back -- one of his earlier posts said he had 10 dogs !!
The British embassy is there for people in serious and immediate situations..... not for deadbeats........

Have you seen what he called a social services worker when she refused him jobseekers allowance some years ago....? Says it all......
I've seen others ask similar questions in the past, makes you wonder how the British taxpayer would react if they thought the government was funding the return of all those of us who have decided to come home, along with belongings and pets.......

As you say, let him work for the money himself, its not like he's stuck in a place where he isn't allowed to work! Maybe the US wife could help as part of the divorce settlement - bit more realistic than the British Embassy!
Pollyana is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 7:43 pm
  #9  
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,855
tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've seen others ask similar questions in the past, makes you wonder how the British taxpayer would react if they thought the government was funding the return of all those of us who have decided to come home, along with belongings and pets.......

As you say, let him work for the money himself, its not like he's stuck in a place where he isn't allowed to work! Maybe the US wife could help as part of the divorce settlement - bit more realistic than the British Embassy!
he said assume the expat is an “overstayer” implying no right to work legally…
tht is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 7:52 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
calman014's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,108
calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Take your dogs to Afghanistan and they will be flown back for free...
calman014 is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 8:41 pm
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,865
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by tht
he said assume the expat is an “overstayer” implying no right to work legally…
No legal right to work doesn't necessarily mean the OP isn't working. Or have they been living off their spouse's income for the whole time period of the overstay...
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 10:44 pm
  #12  
Home and Happy
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,814
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
No legal right to work doesn't necessarily mean the OP isn't working. Or have they been living off their spouse's income for the whole time period of the overstay...
That's what I was thinking. Must've been doing something all this time he's been in the US.
Maybe if she has been earning enough to support the two of them and ten dogs all this time, she could pay for him to get home?!
Pollyana is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 11:03 pm
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 9,660
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's what I was thinking. Must've been doing something all this time he's been in the US.
Maybe if she has been earning enough to support the two of them and ten dogs all this time, she could pay for him to get home?!

..... can't think of one good reason why, if my marriage had just imploded (as the OP says) one would be willing to spend money to enable one's ex (and his dogs) to leave the country......
SanDiegogirl is online now  
Old Nov 9th 2023, 11:37 pm
  #14  
Home and Happy
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,814
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
..... can't think of one good reason why, if my marriage had just imploded (as the OP says) one would be willing to spend money to enable one's ex (and his dogs) to leave the country......
You're probably right, but I think its probably more her responsibility than that of the British Government
Pollyana is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2023, 12:08 am
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 9,660
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with getting home

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You're probably right, but I think its probably more her responsibility than that of the British Government
....

..... no responsibility at all of the British government
SanDiegogirl is online now  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.