Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Do I qualify for UK citizenship? If so, can I go to University as a citizen?

HELP!! Do I qualify for UK citizenship? If so, can I go to University as a citizen?

Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

newone23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!! Do I qualify for UK citizenship? If so, can I go to University as a citizen?

I was hoping I could get a few questions answered here. First, my father is a UK citizen, born there about 1949, and has been living in the US for the past 30 years. Throughout that time he has retained his British citizenship. Not sure if it's relevant at all, but my father's sister (my aunt) and my father's mother (my Grandmother) are both currently citizens residing in the UK. I was born in the US in 1981. Do I have citizenship rights in the UK? What steps do I need to take to retain my US citizenship status, but also acquire UK citizenship? From what I've gathered, I believe I have citizenship through descent, it would just be a matter of proving it to the UK and applying for my passport? Is this all I need to do to secure my UK citizenship status? ------My second question is that if I do qualify for citizenship, do I have the same access to a UK education just as a UK citizen would, is there a waiting period?
I would love to be able to utilize my fathers UK heritage to be able to go back (already have my undergraduate from US) to school, and I figured if I qualify for UK citizenship I would be entiltled to attend University just as a UK citizen would. Here's hoping!

Last edited by newone23; Feb 20th 2010 at 3:30 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!! Do I qualify for UK citizenship? If so, can I go to University as a citize

If you are entitled to UK citizenship you can attend a UK university as a UKC but you will be required to pay international student fees. This applies to any UKC who's not lived in the UK for 3 yrs prior to attending uni.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!! Do I qualify for UK citizenship? If so, can I go to University as a citize

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you are entitled to UK citizenship you can attend a UK university as a UKC but you will be required to pay international student fees. This applies to any UKC who's not lived in the UK for 3 yrs prior to attending uni.
The only advantage UK citizenship would confer to the OP in this regard is the ability to live for those three years in the UK prior to going to university in order to avoid paying international fees. As you point out, domestic tuition rates are based on residence requirements, not citizenship.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

So, if I were to move to the UK with my UK passport, I would still need to wait 3 years in order to pay resident fees for tution. Ok, that answers that. When it comes to my citizenship, is my case fairly common? Should I be able to gain my British passport to validate my UK citizenship? If so is it possible to apply for my UK passport while outside of the country (US) ?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newone23
Do I have citizenship rights in the UK?
If your father is able to pass UK citizenship to you, yes.

What steps do I need to take to retain my US citizenship status, but also acquire UK citizenship?
There is nothing you need to do.

I believe I have citizenship through descent, it would just be a matter of proving it to the UK and applying for my passport?
Yes.

Is this all I need to do to secure my UK citizenship status?
Seems too simple, yes? But... I believe that's all you need to do.

... is it possible to apply for my UK passport while outside of the country (US) ?
Yes.

Ian
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The only advantage UK citizenship would confer to the OP in this regard is the ability to live for those three years in the UK prior to going to university in order to avoid paying international fees. As you point out, domestic tuition rates are based on residence requirements, not citizenship.
They're based on both. Three years residence in a temporary status generally won't do.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 6:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping I could get a few questions answered here. First, my father is a UK citizen, born there about 1949, and has been living in the US for the past 30 years. Throughout that time he has retained his British citizenship. Not sure if it's relevant at all, but my father's sister (my aunt) and my father's mother (my Grandmother) are both currently citizens residing in the UK. I was born in the US in 1981. Do I have citizenship rights in the UK? What steps do I need to take to retain my US citizenship status, but also acquire UK citizenship? From what I've gathered, I believe I have citizenship through descent, it would just be a matter of proving it to the UK and applying for my passport? Is this all I need to do to secure my UK citizenship status?
You are a British citizen by descent IF your parents were married. Were they? If so, apply for a British passport to prove your status. If not, you're out of luck.

Read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent

and also:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Passport_In_The_US

To keep your US citizenship, just keep your US passport valid, keep filing US taxes, etc, and don't use your British citizenship in the United States.

If your father hasn't become a US citizen, he should do so, normally.

---My second question is that if I do qualify for citizenship, do I have the same access to a UK education just as a UK citizen would, is there a waiting period?
You need both citizenship and residence.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Uni...Residence_Rule
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

so I think I finally have this straight. If I apply for UK passport I should be able to acquire this because currently I am a British citizen (although not authenticated by the UK) due to the fact that my father was born in the UK and is still a citizen (although residing in the states for past 30 years). And by attaining my British passport, I can still keep my US passport and citizenship? --------------And as for the school portion in order to qualify for "resident" fee for University I will have to have lived there for 3 years (and not just having an address---my Aunt, that shares my last name, lives in London) before qualifying as a "resident"? I'm wondering if there are any loop holes to this.. maybe I can get into a study abroad program in the states, pay US tution, live there through the study program and work to establish residency? I'm basically wanting access to the British higher education system, as I want to go to Graduate school in the states, but overall am wondering, if I can get residency in England will it cost lest overall?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

And by attaining my British passport, I can still keep my US passport and citizenship?
Yes. I'll point out that a UK passport is *proof* of your status as a UK citizenship... it isn't the status itself - if you see what I mean. Someone can be a UK citizen without ever having a passport.

I'm wondering if there are any loop holes to this.. maybe I can get into a study abroad program in the states, pay US tution, live there through the study program and work to establish residency?
It seems you don't fully understand the concept of "residency". It is not the same as "being present in".

Ian
Old Feb 20th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

so I think I finally have this straight. If I apply for UK passport I should be able to acquire this because currently I am a British citizen (although not authenticated by the UK) due to the fact that my father was born in the UK and is still a citizen (although residing in the states for past 30 years). And by attaining my British passport, I can still keep my US passport and citizenship? --------------And as for the school portion in order to qualify for "resident" fee for University I will have to have lived there for 3 years (and not just having an address---my Aunt, that shares my last name, lives in London) before qualifying as a "resident"? I'm wondering if there are any loop holes to this.. maybe I can get into a study abroad program in the states, pay US tution, live there through the study program and work to establish residency? I'm basically wanting access to the British higher education system, as I want to go to Graduate school in the states, but overall am wondering, if I can get residency in England will it cost lest overall?
For the purpose of home fees you would need to have been permanently settled in the UK for three years before the start of your course. The evidence they could ask for to prove this status will include utilities bills, council tax bills, pay slips, etc. If they feel like it gthey can subject you to quite a lot of scrutiny to make sure you're eligible.

I know that many US university fees are totally prohibitive, but you should note that the British HE system is in turmoil due to Britain being bankrupt. Up to 15,000 academics are due to lose their jobs across the system over the next few years, many recent reports in newspapers have exposed the crumbling physical infrastructure of many of the establishments, and I read recently that they are considering raising fees to £5000 ($7700 at present exchange rate) a year. Whole departments are being mothballed, and IIRC the entire sociology dept. at (possibly) Wolverhampton is being canned.

I'm not saying don't go, because I think you would have a great time and also there are some world-class departments in the UK, just be aware of some of the dust under the rug and choose your establishment very carefully.

Last edited by hereandthere; Feb 21st 2010 at 12:02 am.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:01 am
JAJ
Retired

so I think I finally have this straight. If I apply for UK passport I should be able to acquire this because currently I am a British citizen (although not authenticated by the UK) due to the fact that my father was born in the UK and is still a citizen (although residing in the states for past 30 years). And by attaining my British passport, I can still keep my US passport and citizenship?

Yes ... but did you read the wiki article that explains that if you have replaced your birth certificate, you will need to provide more evidence that you are really your father's child and not adopted.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

International rates in the UK are still generally lower than rates in the US for a top place and for anything else, be a lot cheaper.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Great---thanks everyone for such good advice! I'm so glad I found this site!! So cool to know that I'm a British citizen and didn't even realize! Everyone has been so helpful! Not sure if the same type of site exists for Americans but completley surprised by how helpful everyone has been and that I am in such good company! Cheers and thanks again!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Is your dad still alive? Does he have the necessary documentation you will need to submit with your application for a British Passport? Is there a reason why your father never registered your birth at the British Consulate? Does he know that you are looking into getting your passport?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
...Is there a reason why your father never registered your birth at the British Consulate?...
Wasn't always available and isn't in all countries...and usual reason being cost...worth doing, but it's one of those things that gets put on the back burner...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.