British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/help-718622/)

-nicole May 27th 2011 1:48 pm

Help!

I am traveling to the US today, but my Canadian passport expired last month. Can I use my British passport to travel ?

SultanOfSwing May 27th 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Help!

Originally Posted by -nicole (Post 9391628)
I am traveling to the US today, but my Canadian passport expired last month. Can I use my British passport to travel ?

You can use the British passport to travel as long as it has, I think 6 months left on it, but don't you now need to do a new ESTA for the different passport?

Someone more savvy than I am will likely be along to confirm, but I'm 99% sure you'll need to redo ESTA.

-nicole May 27th 2011 1:53 pm

My British passport expires next year, so that should be fine? And yes, I'll have to renew my Canadian one asap.
Thanks!

SultanOfSwing May 27th 2011 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by -nicole (Post 9391632)
My British passport expires next year, so that should be fine? And yes, I'll have to renew my Canadian one asap.
Thanks!

The passport itself is OK - if you're British and entitled to have it you can travel on it.

If you are entering on the VWP, you will have had to complete ESTA - but did you have to enter your passport info when you did that? If so, then you'll need to do a new one for the Brit PP. You'll have to excuse me, I've never had to use ESTA as it's relatively new.

fatbrit May 27th 2011 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9391630)
You can use the British passport to travel as long as it has, I think 6 months left on it, but don't you now need to do a new ESTA for the different passport?

Someone more savvy than I am will likely be along to confirm, but I'm 99% sure you'll need to redo ESTA.

ESTA only required if travelling by air. OP does not state method of travel.

-nicole May 27th 2011 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9391637)
The passport itself is OK - if you're British and entitled to have it you can travel on it.

If you are entering on the VWP, you will have had to complete ESTA - but did you have to enter your passport info when you did that? If so, then you'll need to do a new one for the Brit PP. You'll have to excuse me, I've never had to use ESTA as it's relatively new.

I'm British, but I have never used it before so I don't really know anything about it.
I've never had to use ESTA before either.. Would I have to do it/have time if I am traveling later today?

-nicole May 27th 2011 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9391639)

Oh! I'm driving to Buffalo..

fatbrit May 27th 2011 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by -nicole (Post 9391649)

You don't need ESTA, then. Just a few bucks and a UK passport should work.

SultanOfSwing May 27th 2011 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9391639)

True. I thought it prudent to mention but in this case it was irrelevant.

Bob May 27th 2011 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9391630)

There isn't a 6 month requirement, would only get stamped for the length the passport is valid though if it were less.

bruceba May 27th 2011 3:14 pm

Not much help, but i renewed in St. Catherines in one day.

avanutria May 27th 2011 3:32 pm

My condolences.

-nicole May 27th 2011 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by avanutria (Post 9391769)
My condolences.

for what...?

Bob May 27th 2011 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by -nicole (Post 9391772)
for what...?

Buffalo :lol:

meauxna May 27th 2011 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9391697)
There isn't a 6 month requirement, would only get stamped for the length the passport is valid though if it were less.

Not so for UK passports.